• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we do less sit down meals? Doubting my plans

KatieRae

Earning My Ears
Sorry for all the questions lately! I just want to plan the best trip possible!

As of right now, I have a sit down meal planned every day of our trip (Jul 1 - Jul 7). But now with losing the 6th day of touring (can't add on to 5 day park hopper) and with 2 days not having EMH, I am wondering if I should eliminate some of our character breakfasts to utilize those morning hours. What do you guys think?

Right now I have:

July 1: Dinner at Goofy's Kitchen (non-park day)
July 2: Breakfast at PCH Grill at 10:40 am - thinking about canceling this so that we can get to the park before 8 am rope drop and have more than 2 hours of touring. Or is two hours plenty of time to get a land or two done before breakfast? We planned to leave the park when it starts to get crowded for naps and pool time. We also have Fantasmic package booked that night.
July 3: Ariel's Grotto 9:30 am - this is a must do!
July 4: Possibly non-park day - Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe at 10:40 am (Could make this earlier since we are not going to parks now. I am worried the late time will mean less characters and cold food)
July 5: PCH Grill 6 pm
July 6: Plaza Inn at 9 am - Definitely thinking about cancelling this one. This will be our only EMH at Disneyland we are not going to the parks on the 4th.
July 7: Check out day. Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen at 10:40 am but thinking about making a reservation for a late lunch somewhere else since we have the whole day/no room and don't have to leave until 6 pm for airport.

Is it even possible at this late date to make changes to our reservations? I know I can cancel them but how easy will it be to get different ones if needed?

Thanks!

It really depends on preference. We hate giving up park time (especially morning lower crowds) to sit down meals so we just did plaza one morning as our only big sit down meal. The rest was counter service or dinners out of park. We loved our one sit down character meal but it was plenty for us.

I'd keep the Surf's Up breakfast at PCH. Like that one. I'd get rid of the PCH dinner a few nights later though. I haven't heard many good things about the meals there other than the character breakfast. Do any of the DTD places interest you, like Rainforest Cafe?

You shouldn't have much (if any) trouble rescheduling. DL is pretty casual with reservations. They don't fill up nearly as quickly as WDW.

It really depends on preference. We hate giving up park time (especially morning lower crowds) to sit down meals so we just did plaza one morning as our only big sit down meal. The rest was counter service or dinners out of park. We loved our one sit down character meal but it was plenty for us.

I agree. While it would be fun to one of the character breakfasts, I hate to be away from the parks in the morning when it is less crowded. I have no problem doing a longer sit down dinner when the parks are crowded. We stay at the Candy Cane and love just doing a quick breakfast so we can be at the parks for rope drop.

I always schedule the last breakfast seating -- I've done it at WDW and DL both and have had the best experiences. Lots more character interaction than when we'd go first thing or mid-morning because there are fewer people there. They keep the buffet going until the last person leaves (and we've never been that person). Plus, it then counts as brunch for my family so we only need one more meal that day. It also allows us to get a lot of touring done before we stop to eat. Maybe think about moving those breakfasts back to a later time?

Thanks for the responses! How late is the last breakfast seating? I thought 10:40 was pretty late since I told the woman I wanted a late seating.

Ariel's Grotto the only one we really don't mind missing park time for. My 20 month old is going to love the princesses!

Would it be better to do PCH breakfast on a day with or without early entry? The first option gives us about 2 hours of park time before we need to leave, the other early entry option gives us about 3 hours.

In all honesty it sounds like overkill. I would keep Goofy's kitchen and then save a few for your next visit. Goofy's is great because it's a buffet so you eat right away. The food was all super yummy both kids and adult choices. The staff was awesome, service was super excellent. I think you will want to go with the flow a few days also. At 18 months old your DD won't remember any of it, you will get some cute pictures though. When we ate at Goofys on May 6, we saw Goofy, Pluto, Captain Hook, chip or dale?, Mulan, Minnie and Aurora. We had dinner at like 510 without reservations in case it matters.

As of right now, I have a sit down meal planned every day of our trip (Jul 1 - Jul 7). But now with losing the 6th day of touring (can't add on to 5 day park hopper) and with 2 days not having EMH, I am wondering if I should eliminate some of our character breakfasts to utilize those morning hours. What do you guys think?

Yes, I think you've overbooked a bit :)

Here's my suggestions in bold:
July 2: Drop PCH Breakfast this day and hit the parks running. But I think this is one of the best character meals so see below ;)
July 4: Possibly non-park day - I would change this to the Surf's Up! breakfast at PCH Grill. I think Storytellers is beautiful and the food is good but its my least favorite for characters. I would not consider it a must do.
July 5: PCH Grill 6 pm- Meh. No real reason to go to PCH Grill outside of character breakfast. I'd do somewhere else instead. DTD, Cafe Orleans, BTR BBQ etc.
July 6: Plaza Inn at 9 am - Definitely thinking about cancelling this one. This will be our only EMH at Disneyland we are not going to the parks on the 4th. I tend to agree that you might not want to do this if this is your only EMH at DL. But I think your reservation is after EMH anyway? So it might be fine. Or maybe move it a little later? Its in the park so quick/easy to get to.
July 7: Check out day. Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen at 10:40 am but thinking about making a reservation for a late lunch somewhere else since we have the whole day/no room and don't have to leave until 6 pm for airport. I really don't think you need to do Goofy's again even though its a different meal. If you're dying to do Storytellers, do it this day instead.

Is it even possible at this late date to make changes to our reservations? I know I can cancel them but how easy will it be to get different ones if needed?

I don't think it should be a problem to reschedule or add new ressies at this point. DLR is not WDW for reservation craziness.

Right now I have:

This is a great way to start your trip. I'd keep it.

July 2: Breakfast at PCH Grill at 10:40 am - thinking about canceling this so that we can get to the park before 8 am rope drop and have more than 2 hours of touring. Or is two hours plenty of time to get a land or two done before breakfast? We planned to leave the park when it starts to get crowded for naps and pool time. We also have Fantasmic package booked that night.

I'd skip this and instead maybe make an early lunch reservation at Carnation Cafe or Cafe Orleans. That way you can stay in the park. I think I'm in the minority, but we really did not like the PCH character breakfast.

Then keep it!

July 4: Possibly non-park day - Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe at 10:40 am (Could make this earlier since we are not going to parks now. I am worried the late time will mean less characters and cold food)

Never done this breakfast, so I can't comment.

July 5: PCH Grill 6 pm

I would do something different, like a restaurant in Downtown Disney. We love Tortilla Jo's, Naples and Rainforest Cafe. And DTD is a nice atmosphere, different than the hotels. Should be a fun place to be on a Friday night. Definitely get a reservation, or the waits will be long!

July 6: Plaza Inn at 9 am - Definitely thinking about cancelling this one. This will be our only EMH at Disneyland we are not going to the parks on the 4th.

We love the Minnie Breakfast at the Plaza Inn. We had 10:30 reservations and the place was almost empty. So much character interaction. I have a photo of my DD6 with Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. She also played a chase game with Captain Hook all around the restaurant, pretending to have a sword fight with him. We loved the later time and it didn't interfere with our EMH time. In fact, by 10:30 we were really ready for a break and a meal.

July 7: Check out day. Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen at 10:40 am but thinking about making a reservation for a late lunch somewhere else since we have the whole day/no room and don't have to leave until 6 pm for airport.

If you do dinner at Goofy's Kitchen on your arrival day, I think that is plenty. Twice in one trip would be overkill.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have too much of a problem changing your reservation times and places at this point.

Have fun!

Does anyone in your group have food allergies? Table service is a great way to go if anyone has food allergies/sensitivities because you can talk to the chef and make special requests. But if you're fine to eat at counter service places, then I'd ax a few of your reservations. I like to plan for the first few days of our trip and then leave a lot of wiggle room for the remaining days.

There is no need to do Goofy's twice. I think since you are doing every character meal, you'll get in more than enough character time. And what if your little one is scared of them?

I think it's a great idea to do late seating for breakfast. I like to do breakfast at 10:30 because the kids are always needing a break by then. I think 10:30 is a great time to do Plaza Inn because you arrive at rope drop, do FL and TL rides then take a break at 10:30. On our last trip we did Plaza Inn at 10:30, I let the kids just start with some grapes and milk, they got autographs and visited the characters, then at 11:00 they ate their waffles and bacon and we skipped lunch. I think we had ice cream at 3:00 and then dinner at 5:30.

Here's how I would tweak your schedule:
July 1: Dinner at Goofy's
July 2: rope drop at DL, Plaza Inn at 10:30
July 3: Ariel's Grotto (I'd switch to lunch, but that's just my preference)
July 4: non park day - Storytellers or Surf's up
July 5: Rainforest Cafe
July 6: MM at DL. Carnation Cafe for late breakfast or lunch
July 7: Storytellers or Surf's up (or neither)

I think your breakfasts are all scheduled in the middle of what I would call "prime ride time". If getting on a lot of rides in the morning before the park gets crowded is in any way important to you, I would totally rethink the list. If it's not, then just go with it.

Honestly, DH and I have been so many times, we don't DO that hardcore morning touring. It's just not necessary.

In April though, we took our nieces for their very. first. trip. ever. So we made certain to get up and get to the park at opening. I think this is one of the reasons they were able to see practically everything on our 4 days trip.

So, assuming you're trying to tour the heck out of the parks, I would schedule at least 1 morning per park where you do not have a big breakfast before you go in.

We love Ariel's Grotto too! It is a must do! But, we did a later lunch, 2pm. You still get the princesses plus you might escape the heat. Also, you could use that valuable morning time to do lots of stuff. Just a thought. :)

We had breakfast at Storytellers a few weeks ago, and it was FABULOUS. WE got there later in the morning (not as late as what you have planned, but around 9:30), and we were very happy with the selections and temperature of the food on the buffet (the caramel french toast...oh my...I could have sat there eating it all morning, haha). The characters all came around to our table (it took awhile to get them all, but there were a LOT that day), but the most amazing thing happened around 10:30 (we were there for awhile, haha). The restaurant was emptying out, and the characters kept coming back by our table. In fact, Chip, my young adult special needs son's favorite character, pulled up a chair and sat with my son. He "talked" to him using hand gestures (my son had signed, "I love you" to him to start it off), and then the song, "When you're happy and you know it" came on. Chip kept sitting there and went through the ENTIRE song with my son doing all the hand motions. I was in tears by the end of the song. Chip gave my son a high five, and came over and hugged me tight. It was the most magical moment of our vacation, hands down. So no, you won't get less character interaction going late in the morning, in my experience. In fact, you may get some extra special magic!

I don't think you have too many reservations, I think the locations when you want to hit the parks on a few of them are awkward. I agree with everyone. You only need to do Goofy's once, make Ariel's a late lunch then head out for the afternoon, do Storyteller's and/or PCH on a day when you aren't going to the park. We did Plaza Inn at 10:40 last year and did it as our brunch/lunch meal and it was great. We got a ton of rides in then went for the character breakfast.

Also where are you staying? If you are staying at Paradise Pier and want to hit PCH before you head back for the evening that makes sense, otherwise ditch it and make reservations where you would naturally be that day and time. If you are offsite walking PAST Disneyland, through security & downtown Disney, having Dinner, then going past security again will be a massive time waster. The suggestion of in park table service restaurants was a good one!

Also make sure with all those character meals you are grabbing photopass plus. You'll get pics at Goofys, PCH, and Minnies which would almost pay for it.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I am tweaking everything now and going to try to call tomorrow to make changes.

We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. And I did buy photopass +. :thumbsup2 I love pictures and it's my toddler's first trip!

The reason we are doing Ariel's Grotto for breakfast is because my daughter and I are both very picky eaters and the lunch menu did not appeal to us. But I really want my little one to meet the princesses without having to wait in line.

Thanks again!

We had breakfast at Storytellers a few weeks ago, and it was FABULOUS. WE got there later in the morning (not as late as what you have planned, but around 9:30), and we were very happy with the selections and temperature of the food on the buffet (the caramel french toast...oh my...I could have sat there eating it all morning, haha). The characters all came around to our table (it took awhile to get them all, but there were a LOT that day), but the most amazing thing happened around 10:30 (we were there for awhile, haha). The restaurant was emptying out, and the characters kept coming back by our table. In fact, Chip, my young adult special needs son's favorite character, pulled up a chair and sat with my son. He "talked" to him using hand gestures (my son had signed, "I love you" to him to start it off), and then the song, "When you're happy and you know it" came on. Chip kept sitting there and went through the ENTIRE song with my son doing all the hand motions. I was in tears by the end of the song. Chip gave my son a high five, and came over and hugged me tight. It was the most magical moment of our vacation, hands down. So no, you won't get less character interaction going late in the morning, in my experience. In fact, you may get some extra special magic!

That sounds amazing!

So...I can get caramel french toast at Storyteller's? :cool1: That was the main reason I wanted to go to PCH...I only saw it on their menu according to Allears.

Thanks!

Wow. This makes me teary, too. What an amazing memory you'll have. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter