Should we do an excursion in Nassau or stay aboard the ship?

Now this is not like an experience where you get in the water with them and swim. You will have an opportunity to get down on some steps in the water and they will come up and kiss you and take a picture. You are on a platform with a opening in the center and the dolphins come up and interact with you that way. It was fun, but you dont swim with them or anything. Unless they have changed it this is what we experienced about 8 years ago.

There is a swim and encounter. The Dolphin swim is when you're in the water swimming with them, the Encounter is when they come up to you and interact with them.

This past July my family and I sailed on the Dream. On the Nassau day we decided to stay on the boat....That morning we let the kids enjoy the short lines, on the aquaduck, play in the pool, etc... Then we took them to the kids club for a few hours..and my husband and I went and enjoyed a couples massage.....Pure Bliss!! I do not for one minute regret not getting off the boat...it was wonderful!!

Our first Disney Cruise was a 4 day as well and I decided to stay on the ship with our son while my husband did an excursion by himself. Snorkel trip I think. Anyway, he enjoyed his excursion and the time to himself. While my 4 yr old son and I enjoyed an almost empty ship. Lots of pool play and lounging by an uncrowded Mickey pool I even squeezed in a 2 hr spa treatment b/c it was a great port day price. My 4 yr old even took a much needed nap while I read ate lunch and a book on our verandah. I am very happy I stayed on board and relaxed.

You can all stay or split the family up. The older kids go with you or hubby on excursion and you someone stays with younger kids on ship to relax and enjoy.

Have a wonderful time!!!:cloud9:

My opinion, mine alone.
when we go back we will stay on the ship.
Not worth the hassel,dirt,rudeness & down right fear at some points.
Not even sure why it's a port of call.

Wow - I travel to Nassau once a month and find Bahamians to be the nicest people! Have never felt fear?

We always get off the ship and enjoy Nassau while there.

Our last trip in May we took the Nassau Harbor Cruise. We enjoyed it so much we plan to do it again in October.

It's a catamaran boat ride to the far end of Paradise Island and back. Took about 1 hour and 15 minutes or so.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy and have a wonderful cruise.

We have sailed to Nassau MULTIPLE times, and the kids never get off the ship. Heck, sometimes I am the only one to get off the ship. BUT....in early August, I purchased water park tickets to Atlantis for everyone....and we had a BLAST. Even with 3 other ships docked at the same time as us...and yes, it was crowded.....but you can spend all day on the "lazy river". This is no ordinary lazy river. You are required to sit on a tube, as it has crazy rapids, a large wave maker, and moves very fast in general. Plus, if you want to wait in line.....they have the best slides of any water park I have ever been to. It's a bit pricey (about $120 per adult...and $80 per child)....but it was a vacation we were splurging on anyway (Walt Disney Suite). We had an absolute blast there! I highly recommend it.

Desi said:
My opinion, mine alone.
when we go back we will stay on the ship.
Not worth the hassel,dirt,rudeness & down right fear at some points.
Not even sure why it's a port of call.

Agreed. We don't really ever want to go to Nassau again.

We did discover Atlantis and really enjoyed it and "the dig". However I was quite unsure of Nassau from what all I've read on here and was tempted to not even get off the ship (it was our first time) but I am so glad I did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Btw thanks for the tips on the waterpark I want to do that sooooo bad but wondered if it was really worth the $$$ or not.

We took a Dream Cruise this past May with our 3kids (2,3,5) and my MIL & FIL. We did the aqua venture with dolphin encounter. The dolphin encounter was amazing !! Aqua venture was just ok, probably would have been better if my 5 year old could have went on the big slides (Atlantis measuring stick said he was 1/2" short of 48") kind of strange since we had just spent 8 days at Disney where at theme parks and water parks he was 48 1/4" and we had no problems. If we go again we will probably stay on the ship. I really enjoyed the sea day we had and figure 2 days on the ship would be even better !

Our DGC were 4,5,6 when we all did the Blue lagoon Dolphin Encounter. The 4 year old was a bit frightened, but she always would say how much she enjoyed it when asked! You can stay and use their beach you care to afterwards.

We did discover Atlantis and really enjoyed it and "the dig". However I was quite unsure of Nassau from what all I've read on here and was tempted to not even get off the ship (it was our first time) but I am so glad I did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Btw thanks for the tips on the waterpark I want to do that sooooo bad but wondered if it was really worth the $$$ or not.

We've done the Atlantis waterpark twice now through Disney, and we would do it again and again! We're in our 60's, DS, DDiL in their 30's, and DGC under 10' and everyone found things they enjoyed.

DGS 8, likes slides less than the others, but he loved the DIG. He & we took our time there and the sea life on display is amazing!

Some background - this is our first family cruise. DH has cruised before, none of the rest of us have. The kids have never been to the Caribbean before. We are taking a 4 day cruise on the Dream in January.

I had planned on booking some type of beach excursion, but am now having second thoughts in case the weather isn't the greatest for the beach, plus we will be spending time on the beach at Castaway Cay.

I guess I have a few questions to help me decide if we want to book an excursion or just stay on the ship (our kids are pretty young and it doesn't seem like Nassau is a good place for us to just wander around)

1. Do excursions typically sell out prior to sailing? If the weather is going to be very nice, I would love to have another beach day, but if it isn't, I don't really want to spend the money ahead of time and feel like it was a waste.
2. Does anyone have any recommendations of other excursions with younger kids (8, 6, 4)?
3. Has anyone stayed on in Nassau during a 4 day cruise and felt like it was too much time on the ship?

Thanks!

Stay on the ship:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I recommend the Sheraton Nassau. You can buy a day pass for use of pools and amazing beach for $25 per adult and 12.50 per child. The cab was 5$ per person, or the local bus goes right there as well, but I wasn't daring enough to try that. My 8 year old daughter liked it even better than Castaway Cay because of the amazing pools, I loved the beach just as much as CC. Day passes can only be purchased once you're there, so if the weather doesn't look promising, you're not out any money. We can't wait to go back,hopefully twice, on the back to back we're doing in October.

^^ This!

We really enjoyed the Sheraton at Cable beach both times we've been. We did take the public bus (the #10 jitney which is $1.25 each) to get there and back. Played at the property then took the #10 back to The Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) and had some amazing food with the locals. Then it's a short mile or so walk back to the ship.

I have been to Nassau at least five times and have NEVER felt unsafe. We've taken a ship sponsored tour (Carnival), done shopping on our own, done a walking to tour that went to the Queen's Staircase, out to the Sheraton twice, eaten at the Fish Fry, etc. Highly recommend that you get OUT of the port area and see the town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter