Should We Book at Wilderness Lodge instead of POR?

viluvsdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi - we're headed to WDW for Halloween and our 7th wedding anniversary :D We made reservations at POR for Nov 2-4th. We've stayed there once before and loved it. We're taking our DD4 and DS 10mo. Recently, we have been offered by my parents, as an anniversary gift, to stay at WL instead for these 2 nights. We've only visited there once before and my DH LOVED it. I was thinking about changing the reservations to WL to suprise him. Here's my question - do they have fishing at WL? My DD has her heart set on fishing, and we were planning on doing this at POR early one morning :p We also love the boat ride to DTD from POR. What other types of things would make the stay at WL special? Should we do the switch? What do you think? Thanks!!

There are fishing excursions from WL but not a fishing hole like at POR. There is a boat to MK and CR as well as FW. I think there may be a fishing hole at FW but I'm not positive. WL has a beach and you can wade (not swim) in Bay Lake. The MK fireworks are viewable from the beach and the Electric Parade comes right by. The Gyser goes off every hour by the pool. There are activities for kids in the afternoon by the pool. There's a kids club as well. FW has pony rides and a petting zoo. We stayed at WL in May with DD (3 1/2) and she loved it. I've never stayed at POR so I can't compare but I'd go back to WL in a heartbeat.

We stayed at WL this past Feb and are planning a return trip there again in Feb. As far as the fishing, I never saw anyone fishing there while we were there. I believe that there is only a few of the resorts that offer this (POR being one of them). You could always go over in the AM to do this one morning while staying at WL. We just loved this resort. I would change my ressies. You can take the boat to Fort Wilderness (there is also a trail to FW), to Magic Kingdom or to the Contemporary. We did this one day so we could ride the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. It was great. Our girls are 11, 7 and 2. I do not think that you will be disappointed in your stay there.

Sherri

absolutely, if you have the chance to stay at WL instead of POR, do it!
no contest, WL is a deluxe resort, with larger rooms, and a balcony in each room, not too mention the nice dressing area w/double vanity.
The theming of the WL is incredible, and kids just love the pool.
The restaurants are great too!
plus, being able to take the ferry to MK, and hop a ferry to the CR to get the monorail is plus too!

go ahead...treat yourself! think of DH's face when you surprise him!!!!!!!!! :)

have fun!

Laura :)

I'll think we'll do it. My Husband will just be beside himself and that's the best part. My DD may actually forget about the fishing if we see a pony nearby :p I'm nervous about switching since I've been thinking of POR for the last 18 mo - but I think this will be fun :D Thanks for your suggestions and insight! :earsboy:

At WL, you can often see otters off the boat dock in early evening. They are to the left, close to the shore at a distance. I have heard that there is a pond near WL called Otter Pond, but I've never gone over there. You can also feed fish and ducks off the dock. Perhaps your DD would enjoy doing this. You could also rent a watermouse and give her a ride in Bay Lake.
We did the fishing excursion a few years ago. It cost $125 way back then and I have no idea how much now. Our family enjoyed this, but my kids were older and were able to stay with this activity for the 2 hours. As mentioned, you could still go over to the other resort one morning and fish for a short time.
You won't be disappointed in WL. They often have kids activities in the afternoons-often a craft activity.

I'm pretty sure you can fish at the FW campground, never did it but thought I saw poles to rent there by where they rent the bikes

FW also has the free campfire and movie each night with Chip and Dale. Any resort member can go but it's easier to get to from WL than from other resorts. My kids really enjoyed it when we were there two years ago.

I have stayed at both resorts, but nothing compares to WL. The boat ride to MK is so convenient and easy, the restaurants are great and the atmosphere is amazing!
Oh, don't forget about requesting to be a flag family during check-in. In case you don't know what it is, here goes...Every morning, 1 special family gets to trek to the roof with Ranger Stan to raise all of WL'S flags. You get access to an area that is off limits to all guests. Not only do you recite the pledge, raise 5 different flags and get a certificate, but you also get the privelege of seeing a captivating landscape and take pictures of views seldom seen! If it is available during check-in (for any portion of your stay), they will sign you up. You need to request it though!

Renting the water sprites to zip around Bay Lake is really fun (for DH and you AND DDs). Hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter