Should I try to change my January 2013 dates? MLK week

vdub322

Are we there yet?
We just booked a stay (on our DVC points) in a 2 BR Value Lockoff at Jambo for January 20-26, 2013 and we are so excited! Then I realized that we are arriving on MLK weekend (MLK day is the 21st) and I have read opinions of the parks being "packed" at that time. Anyone care to share experiences? Is it really packed, or just busy for that time of year? Does it go back to being normal January crowds on Tuesday?

Thanks for any advice!

ETA: These dates were the only uninterrupted six nights for this room category when I booked, so that's why they were chosen. (Our wedding anniversary is Jan 28th, so my first choice was to go over that date). I can waitlist other dates, so any suggestions for better weeks are appreciated!

I've done MLK week twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. Of course we are rope drop till lunch, back to the resort, then maybe a park for dinner or fireworks people so perhaps midday is bad... but I wouldn't know :confused3

The weather can be hit or miss in January though. Luckily we had great weather both times. :thumbsup2

I think you should be fine. We've stayed around that time and the parks do get more crowded for the holiday weekend, but I felt it really tapered off again on Monday. My in-laws were just up there around that time and they said the crowd felt like a typical weekend crowd.

Hope that helps!

I've done MLK week twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. Of course we are rope drop till lunch, back to the resort, then maybe a park for dinner or fireworks people so perhaps midday is bad... but I wouldn't know :confused3

The weather can be hit or miss in January though. Luckily we had great weather both times. :thumbsup2

Thank you for the advice. This is our touring strategy too. We have a DD3, so those midday breaks are a necessity! And I'm hoping we are lucky with weather...I lived in Central Florida for three years and I was surprised how cold it can get in winter. Usually better than PA, but still cold!

I think you should be fine. We've stayed around that time and the parks do get more crowded for the holiday weekend, but I felt it really tapered off again on Monday. My in-laws were just up there around that time and they said the crowd felt like a typical weekend crowd.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I'm going to leave it how it is and hope for the best! :thumbsup2

Hi Vdub, we were there for MLK weekend this year....yeah it was pretty packed. It seemed like there were tons of locals. We left on the Tuesday after, so I'm not sure if the crowds die down. Good luck! -Amanda

We just visited from thursday 1/12 through MLK. It was busy but not crazy. In fact, it was only really busy in MK. The only downside was that it was very cold, below freezing some nights, but that's the risk you take anytime in the winter. 2 days after we left it was in the mid-80's..... so it's luck of the draw.

Our experience:
Thursday 1/12 Epcot. very moderate, even slow.
Friday 1/13 Magic Kingdom - moderate. showed up at 10am and lines were in the 30-40 minute range
Saturday 1/14: visited universal orlando. Harry Potter was 40 minutes in teh morning and 30 minutes during the last 90 minutes the park was open. I was told the 48 degree temps kept the locals away. Heard MK was PACKED that day from other guests at BLT
Sunday 1/15: DHS - very moderate at park opening. MK was much busier that night.
Monday 1/16 : showed up at 10:30 am and saw the same 40 minute waits as Friday. We should have shown up at open

Hope this provides perspective.

We were at wdw this past mlk weekend and it was busy but not horrible. The weekend following was actually busier with lots of cheer and dance groups. I think one of our mistakes was that I figured we would just do the parks that had emh because it was a "slow season". In hindsight I should've avoided the emh parks.

We arrived the Saturday before MLK Day (Monday) and it was crazy. There were so many people there. I was with my husband, son, MIL and FIL. During a parade we got seperated into 3 different groups. My husband and FIL got stuck inside the ice cream shop. I mean literally stuck. The crowd was so thick that it was grid lock. They couldn't move out of the store. Someone abandoned a stroller that got wedged in the doorway. A CM couldn't get the stroller out of the way because the crowd would not/could not shift in any direction. My MIL got stuck in a crowd also. So my son and I watched his very 1st Disney parade by ourselves. I was so sad.

The ride lines were extremely long also. And it took us 35 minutes to find a table at a counter service eatery for us to dine. I have gone to Disney every year for the past 11 yrs and I have never experienced crowds like I did on MLK weekend.

I would change your dates. January/February are our months of choice for Disney, but we make sure we don't book during MLK, or the marathon or Spring Break. We usually go the very last week of Jan into Feb and we have low crowds with beautiful weather.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you to everyone for the advice! I might call DVC member services today about getting on the wait list for the week before and the week after. If it comes through, that would be great, but if not then I guess we will just make the most of it.

We ALWAYS go MLK weekend, and I will admit it's busier then most weekends in January, it's not terrible by any means. We've never gotten suck anywhere

Saturday and Sunday will be busy, but come Monday the crowds start to thin out and and each day they get less and less.

We'll be going again next year as well. the 19th-24th and very much looking forward to it!

And just as a note - the ice cream shop in MK was closed on MLK last weekend.

We ALWAYS go MLK weekend, and I will admit it's busier then most weekends in January, it's not terrible by any means. We've never gotten suck anywhere

Saturday and Sunday will be busy, but come Monday the crowds start to thin out and and each day they get less and less.

We'll be going again next year as well. the 19th-24th and very much looking forward to it!

And just as a note - the ice cream shop in MK was closed on MLK last weekend.

Thank you for your perspective. I was able to move the trip one day later, so now we are checking in on Monday the 21st (MLK day) so hopefully the crowds will be leaving by then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter