Should I take my family to Disneyland Paris

Michael623 said:
Edit: To the OP, if you do decided to go to DLP do not pay the extra money for a hopper because even the most hard-core Disney fan would be disappointed in the Studios Park. I have to assume chmurf and/or anthony2k7 could probably write an equally long post about the shortcomings of the Studios park.

I didn't visit the studios last trip, and I actually missed it.

I know I'm in the minority but I LOVE the Studios!! :love:

I'm the same as you Elaine, I enjoy the studios and have seen it albeit very likely transform from what it was. Yes there s still need for improvement and this is what they are concentrating on for the next few years. I reckon there is still have another ride planned for it after the Ratatouille ride is completed. Now the WDW company has invested in the parks we should see a few changes over the next few years.

Yes WDW maybe better (not been yet) but it has the advantage of being a lot older then DLRP. Everyone is different and people have different tastes its what make life interesting

Yes WDW maybe better (not been yet) but it has the advantage of being a lot older then DLRP

I hear you, but this is overlooking a crucial point (or points)

EuroDisneyland Paris (when it bore that name) was as good as WDW. It was even better because the park (Disneyland) IS better than MK in many aspects.

The fact that WDW is older is not an advantage in the sense that its age allowed for a better development. DLP was better in the first place. And what's sad is that DLP did not use its 20+ years to develop and grow, but instead it went down a slippery slope, each year giving less and less to the guests, until the low point of 2013 when many guests think that enough is enough

On the other hand, WDW's age is a great disadvantage, because WDW is in Florida, and Florida is very hostile weather. Even if Paris has cold winters, the rides in Florida (and California for that matter) go through a lot.
And when a park grows old, it's native attractions, rides and themes grow old too and age fast, and need more maintenance.

Can you believe that a Vekoma's engineer declared that Space Mountain looked like a 50 year old coaster. Space Mountain was opened in 1995 and its track are in such a bad shape that it's in a worst condition that it's counterpart in Orlando (1974) and Anaheim (1977) (Vekoma is the Dutch RollerCoaster manufacturer who built Space Mountain)

Is age really an advantage ? I don't think so.

If you want to make an "age" comparison, DLP is now at the "teen age", you know, when they don't want to hang out with the parents, they don't want to do anything, they don't shower anymore, they don't care about anything ... that's our park, and just like our teenagers we still love it from the bottom of our hearts, but that's a time where you really need to kick them where the sun don't shine ...

I hear you, but this is overlooking a crucial point (or points)

EuroDisneyland Paris (when it bore that name) was as good as WDW. It was even better because the park (Disneyland) IS better than MK in many aspects.

The fact that WDW is older is not an advantage in the sense that its age allowed for a better development. DLP was better in the first place. And what's sad is that DLP did not use its 20+ years to develop and grow, but instead it went down a slippery slope, each year giving less and less to the guests, until the low point of 2013 when many guests think that enough is enough

On the other hand, WDW's age is a great disadvantage, because WDW is in Florida, and Florida is very hostile weather. Even if Paris has cold winters, the rides in Florida (and California for that matter) go through a lot.
And when a park grows old, it's native attractions, rides and themes grow old too and age fast, and need more maintenance.

Can you believe that a Vekoma's engineer declared that Space Mountain looked like a 50 year old coaster. Space Mountain was opened in 1995 and its track are in such a bad shape that it's in a worst condition that it's counterpart in Orlando (1974) and Anaheim (1977) (Vekoma is the Dutch RollerCoaster manufacturer who built Space Mountain)

Is age really an advantage ? I don't think so.

If you want to make an "age" comparison, DLP is now at the "teen age", you know, when they don't want to hang out with the parents, they don't want to do anything, they don't shower anymore, they don't care about anything ... that's our park, and just like our teenagers we still love it from the bottom of our hearts, but that's a time where you really need to kick them where the sun don't shine ...

I agree with you in that It has gone downhill a bit by age comparison I meant that WDW had more chance to develop and has had the funding to do so. DLRP has had problems from the start with lack of money and being too slow to try and solve or ease the issue of this. I feel they were short sighted in the way the shareholders club could be joined, holding a tiny amount of shares and offering the perks they do. They have come to realise this and have started to address that.

I do feel this is the turning point for them and now they have renegotiated and allowing the WDW company be a bigger part of it can only be a good thing. I for one would love to see shows like the Lion king come back or even new shows.

I also feel that a new person in charge would improve the parks by allowing someone with fresh ideas will be a great boost for the parks.

It has been interesting to read this thread.

I have no loyalty to any Disney parks since I live in Australia and we don't have a 'home park'. However, we have taken trips to the US parks and are going to visit Disneyland Paris, WDW, and Disneyland at the end of this year.

Disneyland Paris was my first Disney Park as a teenager years ago and I returned there again in 2011. We visited the US parks for the first time in 2012 and I have to say I was disappointed!

Many people compare the US parks to DLP and say DLP falls short. This certainly wasn't my experience! Both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom just didn't feel as 'nice', as comfortable or even as 'Disney'!

It's also interesting to hear the comments about maintenance at DLP and the reduction in shows, entertainment, characters. The same comments are also made about WDW. They have retired so many characters over the last few years and there's been huge vocal opposition to maintenance and ride maintenance issues (i.e. Tree of Life literally falling off, Splash Mountain having many issues including rock fall, Carousel of Progress being in dire need of attention). Not to mention Epcot which seems like it never left the 80's/90s (Ellen's Energy Adventure? Just shoot me)! So I think we tend to think of WDW as "the grass is greener". Not saying there aren't issues at DLP (I'm not a regular so I don't tend to notice them).

The main thing I'm excited about is Disney Dreams this trip!!! For me, Disneyland Paris seems the most beautiful, magical and Disney of the Disney parks and when I visit the US I want to go back to Paris!

In fact I found Disneyland Anaheim to be disorganized, rude, cramped, and when I was there rubbish seemed to be everywhere. Not what I expected AT ALL. Least Disney of all the MKs.

I was disappointed with magic kingdom at wdw when I first went. in fact I was shocked at how different it was to dlp, the themeing at dlp really is amazing. I found mk "plastic".
I admit I was a bit worried about booking to take my baby to dlp but think that is from reading the negative comments. As we have always had a good time there. My 11 year old prefers it as she hates traveling.
I am looking forward to going back to wdw in 2015 though to see the changes. I admit I do see that as being my baby first proper Disney trip.

wideeyes said:
I was disappointed with magic kingdom at wdw when I first went. in fact I was shocked at how different it was to dlp, the themeing at dlp really is amazing. I found mk "plastic".
I admit I was a bit worried about booking to take my baby to dlp but think that is from reading the negative comments. As we have always had a good time there. My 11 year old prefers it as she hates traveling.
I am looking forward to going back to wdw in 2015 though to see the changes. I admit I do see that as being my baby first proper Disney trip.

True, DLP looks very good and magical !!! MK was disappointing as well.for me !

The same comments are also made about WDW. They have retired so many characters over the last few years

it's true that US parks also cut on costs.

but on the character front. I'll just say this : even if WDW has cut on characters, there is still 5 to 6 times more characters, on any given day, in ONE park at WDW, than there is on the whole resort (parks and hotels included) in DLP

WDW guests complain about the cuts in their park, but I doubt they would accept the cuts we've known at DLP (I don't think they can even fathom that Disney be able to cut this much into the park experience)

here is an example I used in the past to shed some light on what's going on : A Disneyland Park weekly schedule and a Magic Kingdom schedule. It's beyond words and beyond comparison

scheddlp.png

magic-kingdom-times-guide.jpg

it's true that US parks also cut on costs.

but on the character front. I'll just say this : even if WDW has cut on characters, there is still 5 to 6 times more characters, on any given day, in ONE park at WDW, than there is on the whole resort (parks and hotels included) in DLP

WDW guests complain about the cuts in their park, but I doubt they would accept the cuts we've known at DLP (I don't think they can even fathom that Disney be able to cut this much into the park experience)

here is an example I used in the past to shed some light on what's going on : A Disneyland Park weekly schedule and a Magic Kingdom schedule. It's beyond words and beyond comparison

scheddlp.png

magic-kingdom-times-guide.jpg

Hrm that certainly does look a bit chopped. Even a couple of years ago we met the genie, goofy, chip and dale, the princesses, etc.

Now that my DDs are grown-up we're not chasing characters anymore but I couldn't fail to notice the lack of them on our last couple of trips. When we first started visiting DLP in 2005 the park seemed overrun with characters and even though we only really bothered with the official meets it was nice to see the random characters popping up around the park even if we didn't attempt to brave the mobs to meet them.

Now that my DDs are grown-up we're not chasing characters anymore but I couldn't fail to notice the lack of them on our last couple of trips. When we first started visiting DLP in 2005 the park seemed overrun with characters and even though we only really bothered with the official meets it was nice to see the random characters popping up around the park even if we didn't attempt to brave the mobs to meet them.

It also makes you wonder if the lack of characters is anything to do with people complaining about the mobs around them - if they havent got the staff or space to provide lines they maybe decided to just reduce them for now

Your statement is not harsh it is a fact your follow up statements are 100 percent correct. I have had at least 20 friends make the same comment. One or two you can blow off but when they all make the same comments something is wrong. Talking to the British visitors at Disney they make the same comments that's why they would rather travel to the US. Paris has a lot of improvement to do but f was 3 miles from their I would go without a doubt.

Ware Bears said:

When I was there in April we couldn't believe how many characters there were milling about in the main park. In one morning we saw peter pan and Wendy, captain hook and smee, gepetto, mickey, Donald, Minnie, goofy, daisy, pooh, tigger, and 3 princesses on their way to the meet and greet (so they didn't stop) I think there might have been Duffy too but we weren't bothered about seeing him. We had also seen chip and dale on our way in as we always stop in at the DLH foyer to see who's there. I thought that was a lot to see in one morning and my kids were delighted. Also Peter and Wendy were fantastic at organising the scrum and pushed people away that were pushing in the line. Perhaps we were just there on a good day?

When we were there in April there were plenty characters roaming about both park and studios, the whole 5 days we were there I think we met every character I could think of. At least twice as much if not more than when we were there last October.

It also makes you wonder if the lack of characters is anything to do with people complaining about the mobs around them - if they havent got the staff or space to provide lines they maybe decided to just reduce them for now

It's a 2 sided coin. Characters are so scarce that, since guests are just human beings, they want what they basically "paid for" ...
If you lower the number of character, you'll raise the expectation, and once a character is out, it's stalked by people wanting pictures and autographs ... it's only human.
Now the other side of the coin is that more and more guests get tired (and even scared) of those mobs around characters (and let's face it, to have a picture of your kid with a character and 3 other unknown guests passively photobombing ... it's no fun at all). So the management uses this excuse to say that guests do not want characters and prefer rides ... so they cut on characters even more ... and when a character is out ... carnage ...

When I was there in April we couldn't believe how many characters there were milling about in the main park.

my answer will sound cynical, don't take it the wrong way, it's a bit of french "humour noir" (nothing personal or aggressive)

That's a very low number of characters for a Disney park.

I know some people resent comparisons, but if you had been in Magic Kingdom in Orlando, you'd have been able to see that many characters at the opening show only (even before park opens), and see 3 times more in the park alone (currentely 37 in MK not counting those on parade)

And guess what ... the guests in Florida ARE complaining that there is less characters than there used to be ...

this might give you a perspective.

Perhaps we were just there on a good day?

yes, most probably

since Following the Leader with Peter Pan has been discountinued, the whole team Peter Pan/Wendy/Hook and Smee do not come out as often (when they come out at all)

currentely you get :
Duffy OR friends (from 1pm to 3pm)
Pooh OR friends (from 10am to 12:15 and from 2:30pm to 4pm)
Mickey (10:30 to 7pm)
2 random princesses (by reservation only, 4 reservation time slots per day)
Jack Sparrow (very short appearances throughout the day)
A few jungle book characters with drumers near Hakuna Matata (1pm-3pm)
And a few character who get off the Anniversary train (when the train stops ...) but bring your assault rifle and heavy helmet with you, you might need them

that's very poor by any "disney" standards.

Mad Hatter and Alice were around all day by Fantasyland this week, Donald in his Captain EO outfit was out in Discoveryland alongside Goofy too - its just luck meetings I think. I just wish some people wasn't so negative as DLP is still a fab and beautiful place :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter