Should I stay or should I go?

ctrabada

<font color=purple>Has a knife hidden under her li
My DD7 and I had plans to join my parents and my Sis (Orlando residents) at the family's timeshare in Hilton Head, SC next Wed (they're leaving Sunday and we were going to join them Wed through Sun). We've had the reservation for one year. I was concerned about pulling my DD from school for a whole week and then for another 3 days when we go to Disney for my bday Sep 24-29 so I compromised and decided to go for 1/2 a week to SC and 1/2 to WDW. My parents called me today and asked me to go with them on Sunday due to the hurricane. I said no, that I wasn't going to leave my DH alone in danger (DH could take the days off to go to SC so that he could take the days for WDW). Well, DH says I should go and he would feel better if DD and I are away.

I'm really torn. I'm watching Ivan very closely because I'm really scared. We were lucky that we only lost power for a few hours during Frances and that we suffered no damage. My parents had just finished clearing up all the debris from Charley when Frances hit and now have had to work really hard to repair damage suffered during Frances (roof tiles, plumbing breaks, more trees down, etc). Our shutters are still up and we have no plans to take them down yet. My parents place is boarded up as well. My DH still have all the supplies from Frances that we didn't use.

What should I do? One side of me says "take your child and get the heck out1" and the other says "cancel the trip to SC and stay with your DH where you belong..." but which side is right? I'm torn and I'm scared and I'm not even sure going to SC is going to be safe anyway....

Hopefully Ivan will go away and we will be able to enjoy WDW as planned....

You sound like me! I am still not repaired from Charley!!! I have my ressies for 9/16-19 which were switched from Labor Day. I think I am just outright canceling and giving up. I am a nervous wreck!

First of all, I am not from FLA and I can't even imagine what you both have been going through but DH and I keep all Floridians in our thoughts and prayers each and every day, especially with Ivan looming.
DH and I have canceled our trip this month and rebooked for January because we just can't see flying through a highly probably hurricane from Rhode Island. We also could not have any fun knowing that a lot of Floridians have sustained such damage and loss - it puts things into perspective and you realize what is important and a vacation is not. My advice is you should go with your gut instinct, whichever option that may be.
Please - whatever you do, safety has to come first. . .please stay safef and secure!!!

Thanks for your support, we need it now. I am just so tired, frustrated & at my witts end. It is something every day, the insurance adjuster, the estimates, the repairs, the shortage of gas, food. The traffic, large clean up trucks everywhere, debris in the roads, big pot holes, stop signs facing the wrong way or just flat on the ground. We still have our boards up. I feel like leaving them up until November. Every time I turn around there is another storm heading in this general direction. After Ivan, I see there is another tropical depression....ugh I need a new roof due to Charley, I cannot get anyone in to do it for at least anther month. I am so scared that it is going to blow away, right off the house on the next storm. Charley damaged it (no leaks so it is livable here), Frances made it weaker.... now Ivan may just confiscate it! Anyone want to buy a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, pool home in Sunny SW FL, very cheap LOL!!!!. It will have nearly everything brand new by the time this hurricane season is over
This is my second time trying to get to Disney and a storm is coming.. .. it is like something just doesn't want me to get there (maybe my husband is behind this :jester: ). Thanks for letting me vent, I needed it :boat: ...symball of my new mode of transportation with all of our rains :crazy:

We were on vacation in Orlando during Charley and I must say I don't know how the Florida people are getting through this? I'm amazed - I hope that IVAN falls apart! Please take time, think it through and make the SAFEST choice - Please know we are thinking of you and hope the best for the state of Florida.
Have a wonderful vacation whenever you get there!
Sue

My heart goes out to you... we were very lucky that we did not suffer any damage. And some of the projections show Ivan coming into Florida right through SW Fla again. I was looking at Charley's path and comparing it to Ivan's and so far it's almost identical. I can't imagine what it will do to our state's economy if another hurricane strikes us, especially one that will do so at a Cat 4 or 5. I hope everything works out for you and don't worry, you can vent all you want.

I can't imagine what you all are going through and I am so sorry . Please all of you be safe.

ctrabada, Can your husband go with you to SC so you both are out of danger? If he can't that really is a tough decision. Does your husband have anyone close by like friends or neighbors that if you are not around he can always get help in case of anything?

Dear Mickeyfan
Hang on in there!!
We visited Orlando/Cape Coral late July, had a wonderful time, everyone was so lovely.
We cant even begin to imagine what you are going thru.
Everyone moans about the English weather, I think thats a joke now.
All our hearts and thoughts are with you over the next week.
If prayer can do anything, then Ivan should steer away from you.
Everyone keep praying!!!!
Keep Safe

God Bless

::MinnieMo

Thanks to everyone for your support. DH still says I should go and he assures me he will be ok. We do have good neighbors in case he needs help and his family lives about 30 minutes south of us in Miami. I am packing today and leaving tomorrow. I hate to leave DH, but I want out of here... the hurricane stress is taking a toll and I had planned the trip anyway, just leaving a few days earlier (I'm still trying to justify this to myself, so please bear with me....).

I don't think you should feel guilty at all........if I had somewhere to go I too would be out of here! Although I have not been affected to badly yet.........Frances left me without power for only 2 hours, many of my co workers have been without for 4+days. Frances took a lot of branches down and I will not need to rake leaves this Fall.:teeth: Charley was supposed to be a direct hit to the Tampa area and the apprehension of waiting on it wore me to the core. I completely understand where you are coming from, I have been a total wreck for a month now, all the storm warnings all the preparations, the anticipation of watching one projected path after another. I left work yesterday fully prepared for Ivan to head directly to Tampa (as of today it looks like it will hit north of here) But the Home Depots and the stores are complete chaos, most of the shelves have not been fully stocked since Frances, many groceries had to throw things out because power was off for so long, now the shelves are being stripped again. I swear the line at Home Depot this morning for plywood was over a mile long! I do have to commend Home Depot though they are doing a great job of trying to keep the supplies coming in ahead of all of these storms. So my advice to you is go, you will be a little less on edge and your husband will probably feel a little better knowing that you are safe instead of trying to protect the whole family. But from the way it looks right now you and I both maybe safe.............but that could change in hours!

Originally posted by ctrabada
My heart goes out to you... we were very lucky that we did not suffer any damage. And some of the projections show Ivan coming into Florida right through SW Fla again. I was looking at Charley's path and comparing it to Ivan's and so far it's almost identical. I can't imagine what it will do to our state's economy if another hurricane strikes us, especially one that will do so at a Cat 4 or 5. I hope everything works out for you and don't worry, you can vent all you want.
The path is what has me on edge. That was a horrible feeling listening to the news on 8/13 & being told by our local weather men that Charley was heading to us & to take cover, there was no time to evacuate. Mean while the Noaa was still forcasting a northen landfall near Tampa...as it kept turning towards Lee/Charlotte Counties. I dont' want to hear that again... I don't wish a hurricane on anyone, I hope it falls apart somewhere real soon :crazy: I did manage to get bread & milk today so that was a plus :D . The gas station near my house had some gas, but the lines were crazy, they had 2 of the employees outside directing traffic for it. From what I have heard today, Gov Bush is ordering that more gas be brought into FL & that my side (Gulf) has more than the east side does at this point... you all on the east coast of FL must have nothing...because we have hardly any. When a station has it, they sell out in like 3 hours or so. Our economy is going to worse than ever now... If you do head out of the state... I hope you don't hit the traffic like we have on this side. My daughter's friends left last night & what normally takes 2 hours (from my house to Tampa) took 7 hours. Friends of mine were on I-75 earlier today up in Sarasota County & called us to tell us they were moving at a speedy rate of 15 miles per hour..
if any of you out there can let me know how traffic is on I-75 to I-4 & then from I-4 to I-95 let me know!! I am still trying to decide if I should head to my Mom's in Palm Coast (even though they are still cleaning up from Frances).
I spoke to a CM friend of mine (works in DTD) and she said that her hours were cut in anticipation of the storm, they still have her in for 5 days, just less hours per day. She said it is like a ghost town there, she has never seen it that empty...sort of scarry. She is worried about her job as well with the economy. Her & her husband work for Disney. They use to live down here & we worked in The Disney Store together & then her husband was laid off (from airport & budget cuts), went up to WDW knowing that she would be able to transfer up... her husband never got work at Orlando airport & ended up at WDW.... She also was telling me that there are many CM's that are basically "living" at the All Stars due to loosing their homes from Charely & Frances. ... So all you WDW visitors, please be nice to the CM's, some of them are going thru some really tough times now & if they aren't showing the magic to you, show some to them::yes:: they need it. Hopefully I will make it up to WDW at some point ::MinnieMo and not by boat!!! pirate: :boat: :umbrella: :fish: :space: beem me up!!!!:wave2:

Oh, a mickeyfan, your post made me cry! My heart is truly aching for everyone in FL who has to go through this mess! The two that have already come is horrible enough, I so want Ivan to just beat it back out to the ocean!

:hug:

Originally posted by DAVSEAKAT
Dear Mickeyfan
Hang on in there!!
We visited Orlando/Cape Coral late July, had a wonderful time, everyone was so lovely.
We cant even begin to imagine what you are going thru.
Everyone moans about the English weather, I think thats a joke now.
All our hearts and thoughts are with you over the next week.
If prayer can do anything, then Ivan should steer away from you.
Everyone keep praying!!!!
Keep Safe

God Bless

::MinnieMo
Thanks for the support...next time in Cape Coral ...look me up:D providing my house doesn't blow away or float away by then. Since you have seen Cape Coral, you can see why I am so stressed & worried. Every other street is seperated by a canal, we have the river to the east of us & the the gulf to the south & west... what ever direction we try to head out of, we end up eventually having to go over a bridge. We are far down the coast... and tonight I feel like I am stuck here :crazy: the local news just showed the interstates & they look like parking lots...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter