• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I solo?

I've been solo [43 year old male here] and with friends...both are fun but I am an introvert as well. The bad thing for me is that I don't do most of the fantasyland rides in MK when I'm solo...kinda concerned of how that may look, unfortunately.

Doooooo eeeeeeet! :thumbsup2 I'm very introverted, I struggle with simple things like making eye-contact with strangers, so I totally 100% relate.

My very first solo trip is in a few weeks, and I am nervous for all the same reasons! But I'm also SUPER DUPER excited to be going to back to Disney World finally! :woohoo:

It's been so long for me because, like you, I find myself in a position with nobody to go with. The one friend who would love to go with me can't ever afford to go, and I'm tired of wasting my life away waiting for people to do things with. So I'm going on my own, and that's that! :cutie:

I've found the planning process to be different this time around. As others have mentioned, one of the perks of going solo is you get to do whatever your little heart desires. That's a big thing for me. I typically take with me somebody who's never been before. Even if if they have been, since I did all of the planning, I feel responsible for their enjoyment of it. So what ends up happening is I tailor all of our plans around the person. Even at shows and attractions, I find myself spending a lot of time glancing over at my companions face, to make sure they're having a good time...

NO MORE! :rotfl:

I am truly super excited to make a trip that's finally all about ME, what I want to do, etc. Be as self-indulgent as I want, and just lose myself in my happy place. Honestly, I think it's going to be WONDERFUL.

I might get a little lonely at times... But I figure that's when I'll pull up Facebook quickly and glance over all the Likes and Comments on the most recent Disney photo I've uploaded, and be reminded of how very LUCKY I am to be there! :goodvibes

Also, keep hanging out on the Dis in the Adults/Solos forums. These good folks here, the seasoned soloists, have put my mind at easy and calmed my fears in SO many ways. I love this community! :grouphug:

It's been so long for me because, like you, I find myself in a position with nobody to go with. The one friend who would love to go with me can't ever afford to go, and I'm tired of wasting my life away waiting for people to do things with. So I'm going on my own, and that's that! :cutie:

I feel exactly the same way!! :goodvibes I wanted to go back but none of my family wanted to go and the Disney friends I do have, never seem to be able to afford it, so solo it is!! I am not going to just sit around and wish I could go when I actually can, its others that cant seem to make it happen.

I am also quite introverted and so I decided to take a mini vacation to prep me for my big solo trip. I spent 4 days at the coast and loved it way more than I thought I would! Not only was it liberating to just do what I wanted, it was also very empowering!! :thumbsup2 I actually found it easier to dine at restaurants than I thought it would be. Now I am really looking forward to my trip! :cool1:

I've been solo [43 year old male here] and with friends...both are fun but I am an introvert as well. The bad thing for me is that I don't do most of the fantasyland rides in MK when I'm solo...kinda concerned of how that may look, unfortunately.

Don't be concerned.. seriously... I used to go to Disneyland solo ALL the time.. they have The Casey Jr Railroad.. it's really for the little ones.. I got on solo all the time.. no one said anything.. never got any looks...

Disney is one of the few places in this world where you don't have to be concerned about what other people think. I have ridden every ride solo and never worried about anyone else.

Two things to remember about other people:

1. Almost all of them are more concerned about their vacation than what you're doing on yours.

2. You're never going to see them again anyway, so who cares what they think?

I'm introverted, too, and will make my 5th solo trip in November. I have a great time! There is usually someone to chat with if I want; the cast members are great as well. One year Goofy was extra sweet during a character dinner. I can get someone to make my picture when I really want one; and I always offer to take for others as well. I think you'll be fine! And if you don't really like it, you don't have to go solo again. Give it a try!

Go for it! I've never done Disney solo, but have gone to many out of state concerts solo and find it is sometimes even better than having company. I would love to do a solo trip one day, although it will be awhile. First, is a family trip which will be the first visit for DH and DS.

I'm tired of wasting my life away waiting for people to do things with. So I'm going on my own, and that's that! :cutie:

Good for you. I don't know you and I'm proud of you. I hope you have a great time. I see from you signature that you will be leaving only a couple days before I get there which is a bummer. Woulda been nice to meet up.

I'm very introverted but that's what makes a solo trip amazing. There's a difference between being introverted and being shy. Some of these traits that posters are describing sound more like shyness than true introversion to me.

An introvert can enjoy experiences in and of themselves and don't necessarily need external approval or companionship. Honestly being with others, except my husband and son, does nothing to enhance the experience for me. I'd rather go alone than with my female friends.

Have a great time, I've done 2 and am considering a 3rd out to DLR, or Cambodia if I can save the $$!

Good for you. I don't know you and I'm proud of you. I hope you have a great time. I see from you signature that you will be leaving only a couple days before I get there which is a bummer. Woulda been nice to meet up.
Aww, how sweet of you, thank you! It's a tough leap to gather the courage for that first solo trip, I think. I've already planned another one for December of next year though, so I'm pretty confident that solo is gonna suit me just fine! :thumbsup2 And that stinks that we're gonna miss each other, would have been nice to connect for lunch or something! :hug:

I'm very introverted but that's what makes a solo trip amazing. There's a difference between being introverted and being shy. Some of these traits that posters are describing sound more like shyness than true introversion to me.

An introvert can enjoy experiences in and of themselves and don't necessarily need external approval or companionship. Honestly being with others, except my husband and son, does nothing to enhance the experience for me. I'd rather go alone than with my female friends.
To be fair, there's different levels of introversion, and there really shouldn't be such a thing discussed as a "true introvert." Everybody's experience is different. ::yes::

Also while it's certainly true that not all introverts are shy, and not all shy people are introverts, many many people who identify as one do also have characteristics of the other. I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss those shared characteristics when discussing the fears and concerns surrounding traveling solo as a person with this sort of personality type. ;)

I, too, am an introvert, but am planning my first solo at the end of January. I am looking forward to being able to do all the things I have on my check list, without others thinking it's boring or a waste of time. I do plan on using my Kindle App when I'm dining. I am a little worried too, since striking up conversations with strangers isn't my strong suit. But I still think it shouldn't be a problem. My biggest worry is that I'll be there solo on my birthday.

I have just booked a trip to Disney for my bday! My kids have all grown and out of the house, I am looking forward to spending my birthday on site at my favorite place, DISNEY! I don't think being solo at Disney will be an issue as others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards Nancy

I'm going solo too for the first time in Oct. I was really nervous at first but threads such as these have given me confidence and now I am excited about going. I have thought of a lot of great reasons why going solo is better anyway like riding Winnie The Pooh over and over and over and dining at Cinderella's Royal Table, and getting to rope drop every day if I want. I can watch Wishes every single night if I want and I can spend 4 days in the Magic Kingdom or all 10 if I want! I am very shy and introverted but I am ok with doing this trip alone now. I did a lot of solo park touring on the trip that my hubs accompanied me on since he wanted to sleep and hang out at the pool bar and I wanted rope drop. As a compromise, he slept in and I did rope drop, toured parks alone, and gathered FP's and then we met for lunch, he rode some stuff with his FP and spent the evenings together. This is sort of like that only we'll be in contact via phone/text/snapchat, etc. This is my first solo trip anywhere ever. I feel quite safe at WDW on property, but the only ones who will know I am solo is here on this board. I hope to make some DISfriends so I can at least have some park experiences with someone who really 'gets it' like only a DISlover does. It's more fun to share the joy.

I'm going solo too for the first time in Oct. I was really nervous at first but threads such as these have given me confidence and now I am excited about going. I have thought of a lot of great reasons why going solo is better anyway like riding Winnie The Pooh over and over and over and dining at Cinderella's Royal Table, and getting to rope drop every day if I want. I can watch Wishes every single night if I want and I can spend 4 days in the Magic Kingdom or all 10 if I want! I am very shy and introverted but I am ok with doing this trip alone now. I did a lot of solo park touring on the trip that my hubs accompanied me on since he wanted to sleep and hang out at the pool bar and I wanted rope drop. As a compromise, he slept in and I did rope drop, toured parks alone, and gathered FP's and then we met for lunch, he rode some stuff with his FP and spent the evenings together. This is sort of like that only we'll be in contact via phone/text/snapchat, etc. This is my first solo trip anywhere ever. I feel quite safe at WDW on property, but the only ones who will know I am solo is here on this board. I hope to make some DISfriends so I can at least have some park experiences with someone who really 'gets it' like only a DISlover does. It's more fun to share the joy.

Congrats on your first solo trip. You'll have a good time. It's ok if you are still nervous. I'm nervous and its my 3rd solo this year. It's a big place and can be intimidating to an introvert who is not used to doing things like this. I have been nervous each time I have done it because it is WAY outside my comfortzone. But, once I get on Magical Express I am good. I know everything will be OK. And, as I walk out of MK for the last time on each trip I am already trying to figure out when I can go back next.

When in October are you going?

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but while reading this thread, I'm looking at where everyone is from. When travelling solo, has anybody driven a good distance or do most people fly?

I'm in NJ and would love to do a solo trip which my DH and DD do not understand. I've been looking into driving (which is my preferred, but longest method of getting there), flying (I hate it, but it's the fastest way of getting there) and even the auto train (which I've always wanted to try and think doing it solo is great because I don't have to listen to anyone else complaining, LOL).

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but while reading this thread, I'm looking at where everyone is from. When travelling solo, has anybody driven a good distance or do most people fly?

I'm in NJ and would love to do a solo trip which my DH and DD do not understand. I've been looking into driving (which is my preferred, but longest method of getting there), flying (I hate it, but it's the fastest way of getting there) and even the auto train (which I've always wanted to try and think doing it solo is great because I don't have to listen to anyone else complaining, LOL).
I'm driving for my upcoming solo trip, but thankfully it's only 5 hours for me. :goodvibes

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but while reading this thread, I'm looking at where everyone is from. When travelling solo, has anybody driven a good distance or do most people fly? I'm in NJ and would love to do a solo trip which my DH and DD do not understand. I've been looking into driving (which is my preferred, but longest method of getting there), flying (I hate it, but it's the fastest way of getting there) and even the auto train (which I've always wanted to try and think doing it solo is great because I don't have to listen to anyone else complaining, LOL).

I'm from Indiana, so driving is out of the question, for me anyway. But literally, the cheapest flight out of here is to Orlando. Plus no car rental! It's like SW is telling me to go there, and I willingly listen.

One of the best parts about going to Disney solo was doing whatever/whenever I wanted to, without a single complaint. It was a pretty amazing long weekend for me.

I am glad to hear this helped and you decided you will go. I just hope you share your plans when you finally make them. And it's ok to be nervous. I am nervous for my upcoming trip. To me it just means I am living outside my comfort zone and that makes me stronger as a person.

For the longest time I would NEVER have been able to go to Disney by myself. But, I did it a couple times now and I will be doing it many more times in the future. Whenever you get nervous just picture yourself doing the things you like the most and not on being alone.

Thank you! I will definitely be sharing my plans! Because of my new job in the school system I don't get any vacation time outside of school breaks. I've decided to go over April break (between 4/18-4/26) which also means I'll be in WDW for my birthday! Be on the look out for a PTR, I'll probably start it soon and will post the link here!

Doooooo eeeeeeet! :thumbsup2 I'm very introverted, I struggle with simple things like making eye-contact with strangers, so I totally 100% relate.

My very first solo trip is in a few weeks, and I am nervous for all the same reasons! But I'm also SUPER DUPER excited to be going to back to Disney World finally! :woohoo:

I've found the planning process to be different this time around. As others have mentioned, one of the perks of going solo is you get to do whatever your little heart desires. That's a big thing for me. I typically take with me somebody who's never been before. Even if if they have been, since I did all of the planning, I feel responsible for their enjoyment of it. So what ends up happening is I tailor all of our plans around the person. Even at shows and attractions, I find myself spending a lot of time glancing over at my companions face, to make sure they're having a good time...

NO MORE! :rotfl:

I am truly super excited to make a trip that's finally all about ME, what I want to do, etc. Be as self-indulgent as I want, and just lose myself in my happy place. Honestly, I think it's going to be WONDERFUL.

I might get a little lonely at times... But I figure that's when I'll pull up Facebook quickly and glance over all the Likes and Comments on the most recent Disney photo I've uploaded, and be reminded of how very LUCKY I am to be there! :goodvibes

Also, keep hanging out on the Dis in the Adults/Solos forums. These good folks here, the seasoned soloists, have put my mind at easy and calmed my fears in SO many ways. I love this community! :grouphug:

I feel the exact same way. Congrats on your trip, you must be so excited!

I feel exactly the same way!! :goodvibes I wanted to go back but none of my family wanted to go and the Disney friends I do have, never seem to be able to afford it, so solo it is!! I am not going to just sit around and wish I could go when I actually can, its others that cant seem to make it happen.

I am also quite introverted and so I decided to take a mini vacation to prep me for my big solo trip. I spent 4 days at the coast and loved it way more than I thought I would! Not only was it liberating to just do what I wanted, it was also very empowering!! :thumbsup2 I actually found it easier to dine at restaurants than I thought it would be. Now I am really looking forward to my trip! :cool1:

Solo Disney is better than no Disney at all! I've been thinking about doing " mini training vacations" to get used to being alone, it seems like a great way to get prepared for a solo trip.

I'm introverted, too, and will make my 5th solo trip in November. I have a great time! There is usually someone to chat with if I want; the cast members are great as well. One year Goofy was extra sweet during a character dinner. I can get someone to make my picture when I really want one; and I always offer to take for others as well. I think you'll be fine! And if you don't really like it, you don't have to go solo again. Give it a try!

That's one thing I'm worried about, getting pictures of myself. I'm horrible at taking selfies!

I would never have even thought of doing a solo trip if it wasn't for DIS and the people here! :grouphug: I would definitely be one of those people who watches Wishes every single night, I could never get enough!

Thank you! I will definitely be sharing my plans! Because of my new job in the school system I don't get any vacation time outside of school breaks. I've decided to go over April break (between 4/18-4/26) which also means I'll be in WDW for my birthday! Be on the look out for a PTR, I'll probably start it soon and will post the link here! QUOTE]

I wouldn't be able to wait until April. :) I start a new job the day after I get back from my trip in October. I am going to try to get the most out of my trip as I think it will be a couple years before I get back.

I look forward to hearing about your trip.

I began traveling solo after an unhappy group trip. I am an only child so while I have to be outgoing at my job, I am in favor of a lot of private time. I can chat with strangers if they talk to me, but sitting quietly alone on the bus or at dinner or in line doesn't bother me. It is so nice to go at my own pace and not have to put up with a companion who was great at work but a horror to travel with or a kid in meltdown.

People who chat to me on the bus etc usually admire that I can go alone and say they never could. People at work can act like I am defective for wanting to go alone. Typically I respond, "yeah but I do what I want when I want. No compromise, no drama, no screaming kid that I can't glare at and walk away from. My day is planned around me, not nap time or what a group of ten wants." I went once with my mom and that was a hassle too because we travel different and clashed.

I got over eating alone by going out to breakfast on Sundays while at home. Typically you don't have to sit ling at the table with nothing to do since they only have one meal to cook, no waiting for two entrees to be prepped and brought out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter