• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I rent or transfer points for Aulani (or try for cash discount?)

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
We are wanting to do a trip to Aulani with extended family, up to about 10 total maybe, and I will only have a little over 200 points left on my contract for next May, probably the 3rd-4th week. We will likely need a 2 BR and then a studio or regular hotel room. I do not want to stay in a grand villa with some of them . We really want ocean view rooms, so I would love some advice to increase our odds of getting them!

Renting points for this much money really makes me nervous... Not only the risk, but the non-refundable nature. Does anyone know if travel insurance would cover that if we have to cancel?

If I try to get points transferred in, does the one- transfer-per-year- rule mean that I would have to get the 600 plus points transferred from one individual at one time? That seems unlikely to happen. Plus, if I can't get points from an Aulani contract, then if there is no availability at 7 months, I will be stuck with a ton of points that I can't use.

If we pay cash, are there ever DVC cash discounts? If so, are they year round or do they just come out in special offers? What amount do they usually offer?

Thanks for any advice... I've rented successfully once before, but I hate gambling with other family members' money!

We really want ocean view rooms, so I would love some advice to increase our odds of getting them!
I've been checking sporadically the last few months in anticipation of booking at 7m in the spring. I've noticed that the cheaper view rooms go faster than the more expensive Ocean view, which is somewhat inline with the WDW resorts.
If I try to get points transferred in, does the one- transfer-per-year- rule mean that I would have to get the 600 plus points transferred from one individual at one time?
Yup, or you have to split it. Say you transfer from a Dec UY, you get 300 2014 points and 300 2015 pts. You can bank the 2014 points to use in a May 2016 reservation.
If we pay cash, are there ever DVC cash discounts? If so, are they year round or do they just come out in special offers? What amount do they usually offer?
Haven't looked for a DVC discount, but I've gotten lots of mailers for the Disney Visa offers. Last one was stay 4 nights and get 5th free? Something like that.

I have used the DVC cash rate a few times and it is good, but not as good as using or renting points.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to call for discount info? I've been reading reviews and am
Now concerned about the crowds and the distance to the rest of the island. Decisions, decisions....

The cash discount will not be better than renting or transferring points. At best it's 25% off rack rate (and not always available depending on time of year). I prefer transferred points over renting, only because I then own the points and the reservation. Less work for the other person and more security for me.

I agree about the benefits of transferring, but I'm not sure about the risk of transferring points that I have no other way to use. I don't want to mess with RCI and such. At least with renting I can get trip insurance. I guess I can talk to everyone and see if they're willing to pre-pay for a disney trip in case we can't get Aulani, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter