• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I pack bug repellant?

ory

Earning My Ears
I read somewhere that bringing bug spray is a good idea. Is it really that buggy? Are the bugs a problem all the time or just seasonally? :confused3

I'm not sure when you are going, but we didn't have any trouble when we have been in February.

I have been in Jan, May, June, Nov., and Oct and never had the need for bug spray. Have a nice trip!:goodvibes

You'll see very, very few bugs at WDW, their pest control is phenomenal. In 25+ trips, it's never occurred to me to bring bug spray, and I've never been bitten by anything.

I read a lot about people bringing bug repellent but we've never been bothered by them. DH is one of those people that insects love, he's always getting bit. But AFAIK he's never had a problem at WDW. We've been in April, May, June, October, and December.

I live in FL and get eaten alive at home. But for some reason, I am never bothered by biting insects at Disney! I would say no need to pack it.

Thanks for the fast replies!!!!! :goodvibes
We are going next week and I am SO EXCITED!

never had bug spray in Disney. I will say sunscreen. which brings me to another question. Can you use sunscreen on your scalp? I will be going May 3 to the 7th. Last time I went in May my scalp got sunburn.

never had bug spray in Disney. I will say sunscreen. which brings me to another question. Can you use sunscreen on your scalp? I will be going May 3 to the 7th. Last time I went in May my scalp got sunburn.

Yes DH uses it all the time. He tries to keep it out of his hair though.

We've never had a problem in the parks. BUT, on our trip in October, we stayed at the BCV. One evening, we were going to eat our dinner (sandwiches from the Marketplace) on the small terrace between the BC & BCV. We were eaten alive! They were these big flies and they really hurt when they bit! We had to take refuge in the solarium. So if you're staying at the BC or BCV, I'd say definitely pack it just in case!

Never had a problem with bugs at WDW...they should sell there system to the general public for home use:lmao:

I've never had a need for bug spray....but then again, I'm usually with DW and she's a bug magnet so they never bother me.

NOPE!

The only bugs at WDW are at AK- It's a Bugs Life! LOL!!!:cool1:

We usually go in the HEAT of July...and "No Bugs"...:thumbsup2

What is it...I hear? WDW releases thousands of ladybugs everyday to 'eat' the mosquito's? (did I make that up?)

To PP...at BC... those are Horseflies...and you can't "repel" those...to my knowledge..those have to be killed... but I have stayed at BC 3 times and not had a problem with them either....

Hugs....NOT BUGS... :love:
Mary

I usually carry an Off towelette with me, just in case, during the hot and humid months. I've occasionally needed to use one for mosquitos, but not often. I like the individually wrapped towelettes because they are convenient to carry, easy to apply, and you don't have to worry about breathing it in while applying it like you do with a spray.

While you can use sunscreen on your scalp, a hat would be much better. And a hat helps to keep the sun off your face and eyes. You can find tons of hat selection at your local Wal Mart.

I'm a bug magnet. My DH can be standing right next to me and they are attaking me and he doesn't have one bug anywhere near him. I've never used bug spray or had a problem at WDW. We've been in December, May and June.

I am a mosquito magnet and never had a problem at Disney. No need for bug spray. The only time I have had issues is when I walked through some bushes near the hotel parking lot. Several hours later I had small red bumps on my ankles that became extremely itchy especially at night. It takes several weeks to have the bites clear up.

After talking with some Florida natives, it appears that I had come in contact with "no seeums" which are very small biting flies. After that experience, I never cut through any brushy areas or areas covered with leaves. I always stay on the concrete walks and avoid bushes and leaves that hang over the sidewalk.

I think Disney ships all the bugs off to camp sites around the US. We've never had to worry about bug spray or wipes but when we camp, OMG I get eaten alive!

I too, like one of the posters, am a magnet for mosquitos. I have to put on spray to walk the dog in St. Louis where I live in the summer and fall. In Manual Antonio, Costa Rica in March (dry season -- it's a rainforest, though, so always hot and humit), I had to put deet spray all over and still got bites, and others with no spray were not getting bites. Mexico in the summer is a disaster for me too. The wonderful news is that I never use bug spray in the Orlando area (Disney and Sea World parks, etc.) and have never had any bites at all. Another thing to love about a Disney vacation!

20 Trips with # 21 coming up // The boards, though, say I’m just earning my ears.
March 1971 – KOA closest to Disney (camping)
March 1972 – Jellystone Park (camping)
March 1974 – Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1974 – Outdoor Resorts of American (camping)
March 1975 – Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1975 – Fort Wilderness (camping)
Dec. 1976 – Fort Wilderness (camping)
Dec. 1977 -- Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1986 – Marriott Royal Palms (condo by Marriott World Center)
May 1993 – Disney Contemporary (Garden Wing) (hotel)
Dec. 1994 – Polynesian Isles (condo)
May 1999 – Disney Contemporary (Main Building with high floor and Magic Kingdom view) (hotel)
Dec. 2001 – Cypress Pointe (condo)
March 2003 – Sheraton Vistana – Cascades section (condo)
March 2004 – Sheraton Vistana – Cascades section (condo)
Dec. 2004 -- Cypress Pointe (condo)
June 2006 –Tampa relative’s condo
June 2007 – Cypress Point Grandvillas (condo). Disney -- Port Orleans Riverside (hotel), and Sheraton Vistana – Fountains section (condo) – stayed three different places on this trip.
Dec. 2008 – Sheraton Vistana Resort (remodeled Fountains section) (condo)
Oct. 2009 – Hilton Garden Inn Seaworld (hotel)
(Will be going again March 2010 – staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Seaworld again)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter