Should I or should I not- Buy an RV

mom4scrapbooking

Mouseketeer
Okay so I have been conseplating buying a used rv. Here is my reaoning please chime in.

WE are a family of 6. We would like to make our first trip to wdw in 2008. We can't fly due to blood clotting disorder. Or I should say not willing to take the risk.

Florida is 3000 miles away from here. I own a minivan that I just recently purchased and love.

SO we have been looking into a used rv. Around 1996-1998. We go camping twice a year would probably go more. We could take it to FW next year save worry about hotel for family of 6. When we go in 2008 we would like to also go to the Grand Canyon and New York.

Is this a wise choice? We have been working so hard to pay off debt and I am down to only 1 card. Now that the money is free is it wise to purchase an rv?

I know that I am asking a lot here. I just know that from everything I have read you are all some smart diser's and I am needing your help.

Thanks!
Holly

Holly, we purchased our first RV - a travel trailer - in 1987 because we loved to go to WDW and it was costing us a fortune for hotel rooms. At that time my parents traveled with us. It was them, me and DH, and 3 kids. We had to get either a suite or two rooms in WDW. So the TT paid for itself in a few short years.

There are several things to consider here. First, will your minivan tow an RV? Will buying an RV necessitate you buying a tow vehicle? How often will you use an RV? Do you want to tow it 3000 miles? Do you like the camping lifestyle? Have you ever camped before?

No one can answer this question for you. It's a matter of lifestyle, what you prefer and what your priorities are. For us, RVing is a way of life. It's hard to stay in a hotel room after experiencing the freedom of RVing. I like knowing I'm taking my "house" with me. I have my own things. I don't have to lug around suitcases. I'm not confined to a hotel room. I have my own outdoor space in addition to the MH, which is spacious in itself. I like sitting outdoors under the awning and talking to people who pass by. Or riding my golf cart and stopping to talk to others who are sitting under their awning. RVers are the friendliest people in the world, and it's great to meet people.

But RVing isn't for everyone. You have to make that decision for yourself and your family.

Let's face it, it is EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE to own an RV. Your comment about getting out of debt causes me to caution you that you will go deep in the hole again with an RV. You don't want a real old cheap RV. Have you considered tenting? A good tenting outfit is just a bit less than 100% cheaper than an RV. There are many tenters at the Fort.

Have you concidered a PoP Up? We purchased a used pop up first and we enjoyed this for years!! Its a great starter easy to tow & put up and ours was very low maintenance. It looked new and it was about $2500.00 with ac when we got it several years ago. We have since sold it and purchased a 5th wheel, but I have to say it was a great starter.

Good Luck!

We bought a pop up 1 1/2 years ago in good shape for only $600. it sleeps 6 so it can do it for you. We bought a stand up a/c unit for the really hot days and it worked decent for us in June at WDW. If your minivan is a 6 cylinder it would be able to pull a pop up. With as little an investment as we have, you don't feel bad if you don't use it all the time, but we do use it...:goodvibes
disneyvacation468.jpg

While sitting at work going crazy thinking about our trip to FW at the end of the month I decided to do a little math. From the info I got from the person taking our reservations and what I know an average trip cost us in the past, I calculated that we have spent over $30,000.00 :scared: on trips to Disney in the past 5 years(25):confused3 .Then I did the same calculation using the cost of a trip in our camper. The total on this one was around $8,000. First off, I know that this is an insane amount to spend on vacations ( I almost fell out of my chair ). Second, It shows that depending on how often and where you go it can actually be cheaper to buy one than not buy one. Don't get me wrong, the amount of money you spend on an RV, Even if you get a great deal is alot more than that piece of exercise equipment that we all have in the back of the closet that " we're going to use this everyday". Its a tough decision that you shouldn't jump right into, Especially if your just getting out of debt.

Okay so I have been conseplating buying a used rv. Here is my reaoning please chime in.

WE are a family of 6. We would like to make our first trip to wdw in 2008. We can't fly due to blood clotting disorder. Or I should say not willing to take the risk.

Florida is 3000 miles away from here. I own a minivan that I just recently purchased and love.

SO we have been looking into a used rv. Around 1996-1998. We go camping twice a year would probably go more. We could take it to FW next year save worry about hotel for family of 6. When we go in 2008 we would like to also go to the Grand Canyon and New York.

Is this a wise choice? We have been working so hard to pay off debt and I am down to only 1 card. Now that the money is free is it wise to purchase an rv?

I know that I am asking a lot here. I just know that from everything I have read you are all some smart diser's and I am needing your help.

Thanks!
Holly

By "RV" do you mean a "Motorhome"? An "RV" is anything from a Popup to a high end motorhome.

There are significant differences in the costs and costs of use of each style.

On second thought, I agree with the posters who suggest a pop-up. Much better than tenting, off the ground, ease of use, etc.

We did the same thing OK Grumpy did. We bought a popup for $2500. It had ac and it was a 1998. We had to put a tow package on our Honda oddessy and a coolant as well. We had no problems. It was a 12 ft. popup and we loved it. We since sold it and bought a TT.
We are campers-enough to where my dh and I camped on our honeymoon. Once we had 2 kids we bought the popup and camped (and still camp) once a month. Mostly at State parks and Ft. W. State Parks are cheaper. We especially go once a month b/c dh is a detective and needs to get out of cop mood once a month. He works 18 hr. days sometimes.
Camping is cheaper (gas isn't but overall it's a great fun simple getaway). We truely enjoy camping almost anywhere.
So if you and your family like to camp then it's a good investment if you like to travel. You can invest in a popup /camping inexpensively go a little at a time. Buy a used popup that is in decent shape and make improvements. it can be done.
If I had to do it all over again-we would buy that popup again. It's our family time and worth EVERY penny ($1) HA!;)

I can't tell you what do do, but FWIW, I will share our experience. Two years ago we bought a 1996 motorhome. We were looking around and hadn't planned to buy quite so soon, but this one sort of fell into our laps. For reasons that are too long to go into here, we got a very good deal on a unit in great condition.

But if you're buying used, particularly of the vintage you're looking at, you have to be very careful and know a decent amount about motorhomes to make certain you don't get burned. There's a lot more to a used MH than buying a used car. How's the engine? Transmission? How are the appliances? Does it leak? Does the generator work? Are the plumbing and electrical in working order? Anything the vintage you're looking at will probably need some work, at least minor, even if it's in great shape. Although ours was in great condition, there were still several things that needed repair. Fortunately DH and I are quite handy and we've fixed most of it ourselves, but if you aren't handy or inclined, be aware that those costs will fall on you. And even if everything is absolutely perfect when you buy it, if it's older, things will start to go wrong eventually. That's just the nature of the beast.

It can be difficult to find someone to work on motorhomes, as well. Make certain you have someone nearby who can service both the chassis and the appliances and coach. Otherwise you'll end up very frustrated the first time something needs fixing.

Then there are the maintenance costs. If you look a little ways down, you'll see I'm spending $1000 on six new tires this week. Tires need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Don't forget oil changes (we do this ourselves, but you may not want to), state inspections (if required where you live), cleaning costs, generator maintenance, etc. Also don't forget that you'll most likely have to buy propane ever so often to run your heater and fridge. Then there are the smaller things like holding tank chemicals, hoses, filters, special cleaners for the roof and awnings, etc., etc.. When we got the MH and started setting it up, we spent close to $1000 in the first few weeks we had it, just getting everything we needed to outfit it and set it up. Walmart loved us!!!!

A motorhome is certainly not the least expensive way to vacation, especially not in the beginning when you're setting it up and getting the things you need (and some you don't but really, really want). We find that campgrounds are cheaper than hotels, though and that we can travel more than we used to because (finally) the costs are averaging out. We've gotten the unit to the point where it doesn't need as much work (money going out) and that we can spend tat money on actual travel now. So we are now (sort of) starting to realize some savings on our travel, although the ongoing maintenance eats into that somewhat. And don't forget gas. While I don't know what gas will do in the future, it's wise to give this area some thought. Ours has a 75 gallon tank. If gas hits $4/gallon like some are predicting, it will cost me $300 to fill that puppy up. It's still cheaper than flying most places for me, but it definitely eats into any "savings" we might be making by camping.

The ongoing maintenance isn't cheap either. It's probably better than owning a boat ("a hole in the water into which you throw money") but not by much. If you're just getting out of debt, this might be a bit much for you right now. There are a lot of things that "come up" with a motorhome (particularly an older unit) and if you don't have money set aside for them, you can find yourself pretty quickly racking up the credit cards or, worse, parking the unit in the yard because you can't afford the upkeep. You don't say whether you have any extra money saved up that would cover these things, so I don't know for sure what your situation is. I would recommend making certain that you can deal with all the things that will come up without going back into debt. Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions.

All that said, however, we love it and will probably never go back. I see a future of gradually upgrading our motorhomes and if I'm lucky by the time I'm 65 maybe I'll be in one of those really nice coaches. We don't have a big group, just us two and a dog, but we love that we can bring her when we go somewhere. We love having our own "stuff" and our own beds. We love having our own place. When it rains, we're not stuck in a hotel room with nothing to do. We have DVD's, games, the computer, and a full kitchen. No bed bugs. It's nice to be able to get away from home without really leaving home.

I might suggest that for your WDW trip, you look into renting an RV. This isn't cheap either, but it's cheaper than buying and the maintenance isn't your problem. You could drive it to WDW, stop at the Grand Canyon and visit New York. Spending this time with an RV would help you learn if you like it, what you really want in an RV, and whether you really want to own one. Then if you do want one, you'll have a better idea of what you want and need and maybe you'll have more money put away to deal with the maintenance and stuff. This is just my experience and opinion, so some of it may apply to you and some may not. But it's all I've got. :)

I would have to agree with Disneefun in regards to the hidden cost of owning an RV. We bought a 98 C-class a couple of years ago, and soon discovered what the term delamination was. An RVs worst enemy is a water leak and we soon discovered several. Fortunately I used to restore cars as a hobby so I soon figured out how to repair the walls, this repair at a shop can cost anywhere from 2,500 to 20,000.

Now on the brighter side, we have traveled extensively with the kids and the RV is stored at a yacht club were it has electrical and water hook ups, so it has become a summer home as well. The RV cost us 25,000 and we have spent about 2,500 in repairs such as tires (cost us $700 for 6) and repairs, and I would do all over again. We are currently looking at the Damon Challenger with the rear bunks, so if anyone has any info on these please chime in.

We are currently looking at the Damon Challenger with the rear bunks, so if anyone has any info on these please chime in.

Not to thread hijack, but I wanted to chime in. I can't comment on the Challenger specifically, but I will toss in a vote for Damon in general. Our unit is a Damon Daybreak. I would not hesitate to buy another Damon. It's a 1996 and for its age has given us and the prior owners very little trouble overall. I even had to email Damon a question and they answered promptly, even though this is an older, out of warranty unit. Very helpful people.

Could you drive to Orlando, and rent a unit there? I would think it would be much cheaper to rent a unit local than to drive/tow from far away. This way you can see how you like it without a huge investment!

Hello. I agree with CCINTRIGUE. When my stepdaughter is with us in the summer we are a family of six. Myself, dh, daughters 12,10 and 4 and son 2. We either have to get a suite or two hotel rooms. I love having my own bed to sleep in. We can keep all of the kids stuff in the motorhome. It is just like a second home to us. You need to make sure that you enjoy camping. We have found that it is a wonderful experience for our children. Good Luck. :)

motorhomes get 8-10 miles per gallon, a honda odyssey gets 25. in 6000 miles you are going to burn a lot of gas to save a little money, don't do it. Take the train.

Another vote to rent before buying. We thought (many many years ago) that we would like camping. We rented a popup for a weekend. Well we hated it. It was not for us. While it sounded good, I am really much more of a hotel kinda girl.

There are places to rent RV's in Florida. While not cheap, alot more affordable to rent one and give it a shot before going to the expense of purchasing an rv.

Happy planning!

Buying an RV is a big step and is not a cheap hobby. Initial cost, maintance, gas, etc. IMO unless you are going to use it more than once or twice a year, anything other than a pop up would be a waste of money. It really is a lifestyle. We camp at least twice a month, 7 months a year. We don't take cruises or other expensive vacations (at least we won't until the motorhome is paid off, lol ;) ). We love the fact that we are sleeping in our own beds and have our own cozy place to come back to after a fun day of playing and exploring. Now that I have done both, I would vote for Fort Wilderness in my own motorhome versus ANY of the hotels I have been to. :)

Here is another vote for going the rental route. But, do it this summer locally. Most big RV dealers rent all types of camping rigs. Some will even take a towable out to the campground and set it up. Do this a couple of times this summer and it will help you make up your mind.

fw542.jpg

We started with a tent in 1978, then a tent camper, a popup, a class C motorhome, got out for awhile, 2004 a fifth wheel, and then the above in 2006.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter