Should I just give up on getting a site for Halloween?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We didn't think we were going to be able to swing it down to WDW for Halloween this year, but sort of last minute we had some time open up. I booked a tent site from 10/25-10/30 (all that was available) but when I went to book our flights w/frequent flyer miles, the only thing we could swing was 10/28-11/2.

Now I have a site for the first 2 nights, but not the rest. I've been checking all day, every day for something to open up, but I know how Halloween is at the Fort. I was trying to be optimistic but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Should I just give up and pick another place to stay? I will be sad if we can't be at the Fort this year (and I'll be sad to have to spend more on another resort!)

Do I have any reason to be optimistic?

VP

Violet,

It's hard to say. Your missing days are the Halloween weekend and that's probably among the toughest time to try to pick up cancellations. Plus you have the rules regarding cancellation of FF tix to consider (recovering your miles, etc). It's up to you but you either come on down this year or delay and plan now for possibly next year.

If you delay, make the reservation now and book the flier mile tickets well in advance too and do it all at the Fort.

Or you could come on down this year and do a split stay. Use the two nights you have at the Fort and then for the remaining three either get a hotel on- or off-site or tent camp at Thousand Trails, Lake Louisa, or Tropical Palms (all show availability). Then day trip over to the Fort by parking at TTC and monorail/boat/bus to the Fort for the parts of the day you want to be there. Yeah, setting up and taking down a second time would not be fun but you would be there.

Sorry there's not a better answer.

Bama Ed

I would call everyday and ask if anything opened up. Last spring break we tried adding a couple nights last minute and I called 5-6 times a day and they finally made it work. I think most people will cancel right before their 14 day cancelation date.

Do I have any reason to be optimistic?

1) You ALWAYS have reason.
2) Whether a sound reason or not remains to be seen.
3) Other than Christmas, you have picked the hardest period to book at The Fort.
4) Yes, other resorts busiest times are Christmas and Thanksgiving.
5) But, The Fort comes ALIVE at Halloween and Christmas!
6) We do wish you good fortune . . . just keep calling several times a day.

Thank you! We are going to keep trying. We'll be headed down there either way, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fort will be our spot this year. In the meantime, I'm going to book for next year asap! We do have plenty of hotel points so we can always book something offsite if needed, but it's just not the same as being at the Fort during Halloween. :)

Wish me luck, y'all!

Just learned that the kids have a 4 day weekend from school over Halloween. DH said IF I could get a tent site, we could go. I been checking, but haven't been lucky either. Fingers crossed for us both!

Yes! We may have to cancel our ressie that we have booked for Halloween. Between work and school, we may not be able to make it happen, so our loss will be someone else's gain. Keep trying!!

There is a whole thread related to throw away rooms, and these seem to be campsites (as cheapest), from what I have read these people will wait until their magic bands are sent (30 days out) and then cancel their booking. So check 30 days out from planned trip if you can wait that long.

There is a whole thread related to throw away rooms, and these seem to be campsites (as cheapest), from what I have read these people will wait until their magic bands are sent (30 days out) and then cancel their booking. So check 30 days out from planned trip if you can wait that long.
I agree with nherbert. I've been trying for a full hookup or tent site for the 31st for 5 months. However, after reviewing the throwaway thread, I'm optimistic that something will come up. As a back-up, I got a off site hotel room that can be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance. Lol, looks like I have some competition:)

My sister just got a site for Halloween weekend, Fri and Sat nights. She said she called at least five times a day for the past three weeks! Good luck.

Yes! We may have to cancel our ressie that we have booked for Halloween. Between work and school, we may not be able to make it happen, so our loss will be someone else's gain. Keep trying!!

Have you cancelled yet? Is there a way to transfer to someone instead of cancelling? I'm calling daily too still looking for a site. I found out too late that it's such a big thing so was already booked. Would love your site if available!

What is the recommended timeframe to book the campsite? Is it something like a whole year in advance? Is there a time that is "easier" to get than Halloween and Christmas? We've never booked the campsite but are thinking about it for 2016.

What is the recommended timeframe to book the campsite? Is it something like a whole year in advance? Is there a time that is "easier" to get than Halloween and Christmas? We've never booked the campsite but are thinking about it for 2016.
Book as soon as you know your dates. A year or more for Holidays. You can book 500 days out.

Grumpy Aggie wanted to arrive @ the Fort on Jan 3rd (Osborn last day for their Christmas lights). He called every day morn., night & then suddenly he was able to get our arrival on Jan 3rd. Happy Camper he was & so was I! So prayers coming that y'all will get the days you want for Halloween. I love going to Disney Thanksgiving & into the Christmas holiday decorations, but never have been able to be at the Fort during those holidays.

Have you cancelled yet? Is there a way to transfer to someone instead of cancelling? I'm calling daily too still looking for a site. I found out too late that it's such a big thing so was already booked. Would love your site if available!

Sorry, we did end up cancelling the reservation. I'm not sure if you are able to transfer a reservation to another guest since we already paid the deposit.

I was able to get a tent site for the 31st today. I have been checking online multiple times a day and occasionally calling. Today, I was simultaneously checking online and calling. Online was showing no availability but the CM on the phone had a few available in different categories. It makes me wonder how quickly the online availability updates. I always thought it operated on real-time but today makes me question that.

hmmm maybe I need to call. I have been checking for Thanksgiving week. I was able to get 11/14/15-11/21/15 last minute but still need 11/21/15-11/26/15.

ok it didn't work. :-( The 45 day cancelation if there was a package is coming up for my later dates...just keep checking...just keep checking :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter