Should I get the DDE discount card w/ my AP?

noname70

Mouseketeer
Hi-I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the Disney Dining Experince card w/my AP this year. I know the DDE discount is 20% and many say it pays for itself.
BUT
Are the DVC (10?) discounts offered at the same meal locations? I guess I'm weighing the cost of the card vs. the discounts I already get through DVC.
Thanks

Depends a lot on your dining habits. At $60 per card, you need to spend $300 in food over the year just to break even. The good news is that the discount applies to your entire party up to 10 diners, and that even alcoholic beverages are covered.

The DDE card is good for just about every Table Service (sit-down) restaurant at Walt Disney World, with the exception of some independently-owned restaurants at Downtown Disney. Also included are all of the Counter Service (fast food) locations at the Animal Kingdom.

You'd have to look at the DVC discount locations to get an idea of whether they really appeal to you. The current list is on the member website. What you'll find is that almost all discounted locations offer just 10% off and that in many cases you are limited to just one specific meal. Lunch is very popular for the DVC discount.

Just give you one example, the only DVC discount offered at the Magic Kingdom is 10% off of lunch at Tony's. The DDE card gets you 20% off at all table service locations (Tony's, Plaza, Liberty Tree, CRT, Crystal Palace) for all meals.

We aren't big eaters, but we managed to spread our last DDE card over 3 trips and certainly saved well over $100.

I think it depends definatley on how many are in your party and how many times you plan on going this year. We went at Xmastime for 10 days and it paid for itself by the 3rd day. I am now going back and it's just a bonus for me. I had an employee tell me that it's a better deal than they get since it applies to alcoholic beverages as well. :drinking1

We have an AP and use the DDE. In general, we find that the DDE discount is applicable at more restaurants, and getting to $300 in charges is not that difficult. :rolleyes:

Also, we use it like the AP, in that we get multiple trips out of one purchase. We'll get two annual trips out of our AP and DDE cards, which makes it even easier as a decision.

You really have three options -- the DVC discount, the DDE, and the DDP.

The DVC discount gives you 10% off of covered items at participating restaurants. It's a free member benefit, and is good until DVC decides to no longer offer it.

The DDE gives you 20% off, including alcoholic beverages, for up to 10 people at a meal, provided they're all dining together and on the same check. You can also use DDE for alcohol purchases on other plans -- DDP, for example. DDE is the only discount that applies to alcoholic beverages. DDE does not include any tax or tip. It is good for about 13 months from purchase, so it can be used on multiple trips.

The Disney Dining Plan costs $37.99 per day for adults (10 and up) and $10.99 for kids 3-9. In 2007, the kids price remains the same and the adult price goes up $1. The DDP gives each person one Table Service, one Counter Service, and one Snack for each night of the stay. You pay for it at checkin, and it becomes effective as soon as you pay for it. It expires at midnight after checkout. DDP includes ALL taxes and an 18% gratuity on each TS meal.

DDP can be purchased on any DVC points stay, without additional park tickets you don't need. DDP must be purchased for the entire length of your stay, for every member of your party.

You really have to look at the composition of your party, your normal eating habits at WDW, and the details of each plan to see which works best for you.

We eat out a lot at WDW and when doing some extensive discount comparisons I've found that I've benefitted far more from the DDE than from the DVC discount. I just recently renewed my DDE card.

And just to add that I've also put the DDP into the equation -- DDE alone is a better fit for us. This decided even after a DDP & DDE combo trip last May.

I wondered about this, too, as I got ready to renew my DDE card. We went to WDW this weekend and our family of four ate at Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch on Saturday and Whispering Canyon Cafe for breakfast on Sunday. We saved $16 just between those two meals.

We will be back in December and again in January and March. And I have a girlfriends trip in February which is when I save not only for myself but also my friends :)

But it's also good to know what the DVC discounts are -- I happened to read the Perks book when we checked in and saw that McD's at DTD gives 20% off on Extra Value Meals -- and since we have two youngsters, we generally end up at McD's for at least one meal. I remembered to ask about the discount - so it was like getting a free happy meal. Every little bit helps, KWIM?

I'll make this brief

Two weeks at disney in August 1 week at POP(5 adults 1 kid) on DDP and 1 week at BWV no DDP ( 1 adult and 1 10 year old ) Between the two weeks we saved $137.00 using the DDE Card and we have 8 days in January and 11 days in August planned .

My family likes to eat <G>

certainly depends on your eating habits.....when we're on vacation, we like to 'splurge' when it comes to meals. my DW and i spent 12 days at SSR and OKW in JUN with the DDE and saved about $120. so, making up for the cost of the card was not really an issue for us!

This is actually of great interest to our family as well.

We used the DDE card last year and it definitely saved us $$s. The card expired May 2006.

We are going back with our APs this November for seven nights and then again next year in April for 7 - 8 nights. I booked the DDP for us thinking that it would save us $$. We definitely love to eat and will have no problem with using up the credits. Looking at the dining threads, it also looks like we would tend to want to eat at signature dining places and character dining on average at least once a day. So, with using 2 table service credits for the signature dining, I am wondering if I should also get the DDE card again or should I just drop the DDP altogether? :confused3

I have tried to get a handle on "maximizing" credits and do not know how "creative" I can be.

Part of vacationing for us is to enjoy a good meal at a nice restaurant and we would love to minimize the cost where we can.

Thoughts are appreciated!

The card is worth it, with family of 10 in 5 days saved over $600.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter