Should I Feel Guilty

rs505

Mouseketeer
Our family was able to take a number of trips to Disney World a few years back, but due to increased home expenses it has not been possible for us to go back since 2012. I have a work convention in Orlando(at Universal) at the end of the month and there is a large gap in time between when my flight arrives in Orlando and when the convention begins. I was going to use that time to make a quick trip to one of the parks, most likely EPCOT and enjoy a few hours. The problem is that I'm not sure that is fair to my family. It may not be a few more year until we can go back as family.

I know that really no one can answer this ethical question for me, but I'd be curious to hear others points of view on whether it is appropriate to use this opportunity to get a few hours of Disney in, while my family won't be able to as well.

Thanks.

I don't see any problem. It's not like you're going on a personal trip to Orlando without them. It's merely a fortunate opportunity.

You have to be at this convention for work, right?

Take advantage of the opportunity. You didnt plan to be there for Disney. It just happened out that way.

Nope! Don't feel guilty and have fun. Is there a restaurant or attraction that appeals to you but you can't talk your family into? If so this is your chance and I say go for it!

Terri

Thanks for the responses. It is nice to get others perspective. My sense is that I'll at least hit Downtown Disney and gift shopping will definitely soften the blow.

Absolutely go! If yall couldn't go to the beach for a few years and you had a convention in Miami would you shut your blinds? Wouldn't every single family member go if they were in your shoes? Enjoy it and take notes. Tell your family you are considering it a fact-finding mission to check out what has changed and you'll look around at some resorts and new rides just for them! Have fun!

When I was little, my dad had to go to Orlando for business. He didn't mention going anywhere non-work related, but I got some park specific christmas presents that were a nice surprise. I don't think anyone would mind, don't lie, but I wouldn't mention it unless someone asks.

DH may have a work meeting there in a few months. I will be jealous and hate him for it, but I'd do the same so I can't really begrudge him for it. Use it as a reconaissance. Oh - and have fun.

If it makes you feel any better I have a conference in Disney in May, I am going alone and staying after for a couple of mom days also. (No guilt) yet!

I would most definitely go and have zero guilt that DH and DD weren't there. Enjoy being on "your" schedule and the opportunity that being solo affords.

Just curious about how long a few hours is? The only issue I would have, is a one day ticket worth it? (but I'm cheap). I wouldn't feel guilty about the family not being there.

It's for work, I don't see an issue. I know when I went to South Africa for work I went on a Safari, granted the wife was jealous but it was work I wasn't going to sit in my hotel the entire time. So I say go for it just bring them some stuff back.

You have to be at this convention for work, right?

Take advantage of the opportunity. You didnt plan to be there for Disney. It just happened out that way.

I agree. If that were me I would tell my husband, especially if any amount of money would be coming from our bank account. It isn't like you are withdrawing thousands of dollars to get away by yourself.

And just to be clear, you should absolutely not feel guilty. If anything, it's too bad that you only get to spend a little time in one park. I would try to maximize that as much as possible. I know you wish your family could be there too but for most families it's not realistic to go more than once or twice during childhood -- and you'll take them again soon.

You're working hard and deserve to enjoy a little time for yourself.

I know how you feel... My DH and I have planned a trip without the kids. We have taken them the past 3 years for family trips and plan to take them again Oct. 2016. Before that 1st trip none of us had ever gone. I just had a baby in March and we need to wait until he is a little older (will be 19 months when we go) to go again as a family. My DH and I NEVER go out without our children. We have been married 10 years and have only gone out without our children maybe 5 times. 5 times in 10 years!!! This is a milestone anniversary and I think we should spend time together as a couple. However, now that our trip is booked, I'm starting to wonder if we are doing the right thing. . . We could have chosen someplace else to go.... but I am a Disney addict and if I'm going to spend my money on a trip I think it should be there. I hope that we are not over run by guilt when we are there that we can't enjoy ourselves.... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter