Should I change resorts?

wic0721

DIS Veteran
My family and I have reservations at Bonnet Creek when we go on vacation in June, but my husband has just informed me that he wants to divorce and that our daughter and I should still go on vacation without him. I've never stayed at Bonnet Creek before, we traded our timeshare points from a non-DVC timeshare, to stay there. Should I now just use my DVC points and stay on Disney property or keep our existing reservation at Bonnet Creek?

What would you do? :confused3

My family and I have reservations at Bonnet Creek when we go on vacation in June, but my husband has just informed me that he wants to divorce and that our daughter and I should still go on vacation without him. I've never stayed at Bonnet Creek before, we traded our timeshare points from a non-DVC timeshare, to stay there. Should I now just use my DVC points and stay on Disney property or keep our existing reservation at Bonnet Creek?

I would (and did) stay at the resort my daughter chose from looking at pictures online. It was about 2 months after my divorce was final. I told her we're going to Disney for our birthdays (they're in the same week), and we looked at pictures online until she decided she was in love with the slide at the French Quarter pool, and that's what we booked.

Sorry you're going through this.

:grouphug: To you and your dd. Are you going with just your dd? Are you getting a rental car?

I've never stayed at BC, but it is so close to other Disney Resorts I wouldn't hestitate to stay there if the park transportation wasn't an issue.

Bonnet Creek. If you are referring to the Hilton Bonnet Creek, this hotel is on Disney property and is a very nice hotel with an awesome pool.
They also provide bus service to the parks and universal studios.

Not sure why you would feel the need to change simply because your husband asked for a divorce; stay with Bonnet Creek.

kick your husband in the *** and make him pay for upgrades

Why?? :confused3

Bonnet Creek. If you are referring to the Hilton Bonnet Creek, this hotel is on Disney property and is a very nice hotel with an awesome pool.
They also provide bus service to the parks and universal studios.

It's not on Disney property, but close. It is on land surrounded by Disney. Disney had to grant an easement right away. Whoever owned the property refused to sell it to Disney way back when.

It's not on Disney property, but close. It is on land surrounded by Disney. Disney had to grant an easement right away. Whoever owned the property refused to sell it to Disney way back when.

Whatever. I pass Bonnet Creek everyday while driving through WDW property. So maybe technically Disney doesn't own the property, but it is right there so it might as well be.

change and stay on site, you will need a place that you feel more comfortable with at this time in your life

Bonnet Creek is supposed to be very nice with a great location and all the comforts you could want. I would normally say stay but I suggest that you stay exactly where you think you will be the most comfortable. I agree with low-key.

Bonnet Creek is on Disney property, and just as close as most of the Disney resorts.

The big difference is in whether or not you want to use your car to get around. Transportation is available, just not as convenient as Disney's.

The units are nice, but the feeling is very different than a Disney resort. We found the hallways in the buildings reminded us much more of big apartment complexes, for example.

If you're used to staying in a Disney resort, if it were me, I would make the decision based on driving and how much a familiar feeling was important to me.

Have fun no matter where you decide to stay. :flower3:

change and stay on site, you will need a place that you feel more comfortable with at this time in your life

I would go with what you know. Things are going to be stressed enough without the unknown. I am sorry that you will have to go through this situation, but it is really one less concern to return to where a comfort zone is.

Inform the soon to be ex, that as you depened on his navigation and other assistance off site, that he will have to assume any new cost or loss with changing to where it will be the easiest to have dd enjoy herself. What if she gets to BC and hates it?
You know she loves the Pop, is comfortable there and things are going to be difficult enough for her to understand. There is ME, the buses, the pools,
Hugs to you all.

I would look at pictures of both the WDW resorts and Bonnet Creek and then talk to your daughter and get her input.
I'm sorry you're going through this.

I would go with what you know. Things are going to be stressed enough without the unknown. I am sorry that you will have to go through this situation, but it is really one less concern to return to where a comfort zone is.

Inform the soon to be ex, that as you depened on his navigation and other assistance off site, that he will have to assume any new cost or loss with changing to where it will be the easiest to have dd enjoy herself. What if she gets to BC and hates it?
You know she loves the Pop, is comfortable there and things are going to be difficult enough for her to understand. There is ME, the buses, the pools,
Hugs to you all.

Exactly.

If you are considering changing resorts from Bonnet Creek to a WDW resort because of convenience for transport and dining, then do so. Nothing worse than worrying about catching non-Disney buses to and from an "offsite" resort when you are on holiday.

Bonnet Creek, although "right there" smack in the middle of Disney (close to DTD) is not a Disney resort so it will not feature the exact same options.

If you were staying at Bonnet Creek because of condo like options (kitchen, purchasing your own food to cook or eat in your accommodation) then you may want to stay with it.

It really all depends upon why you chose Bonnet in the first place.

You may want to discuss your child's father coming along, regardless of marital status. It may be good practice for all of you to have an enjoyable time regardless, eh? I know that sounds kind of stiff, and maybe not possible right now, but what a better example to set for your child than two parents who, although they are no longer going to live together, can vacation once a year together for the child's sake.

Best of luck to you with the changes that are coming in your life. I hope all goes well for you. :tinker:

I wouldn't stay at Bonnet Creek because when I am at Disney. I like Disney resorts. I like "All mouse all the time". ;) You won't get that at Bonnet Creek. Not that it doesn't appear to be a lovely place, because it does, but there's not that immersion feeling that I love! The other thing I don't know about is bus transportation to and from parks...is it as frequent and convenient as the Disney bus transportation or is the Bonnet Creek bus going to be over the river and through the woods to get to when you're at the parks???? It seems to me when I notice buses from other non-WDW resorts, they're always out in the parking lot somewhere...I don't know, I just don't care for that aspect.

It seems to me that since you're in a situation of personal flux, I wouldn't want to add to my stress by having to navigate in a new way at WDW. I'd probably change to a WDW resort and go with what I know. If you DD likes Pop, go with Pop. If you're looking for a condo style unit, then go to one of the DVC properties...a studio will give you 2 beds or 1 bed and a pull out couch and a small kitchenette. If you're looking for a full kitchen, a 1 bedroom gives you a bedroom with a king bed and livingroom with a pullout couch. I also always feel very safe at WDW resorts, which is not necessarily the case a all resorts.

My best wishes for you as you begin a new chapter in your life. You ddn't ask me, but my best advice to you is to prtoect your finances so you can provide for your child.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I'm more comfortable on site, because I'm so familiar with Disney. I've never stayed off site, even though I know this resort is on site..sort of, but I'm just not sure what I want to do.

If you are considering changing resorts from Bonnet Creek to a WDW resort because of convenience for transport and dining, then do so. Nothing worse than worrying about catching non-Disney buses to and from an "offsite" resort when you are on holiday.

Bonnet Creek, although "right there" smack in the middle of Disney (close to DTD) is not a Disney resort so it will not feature the exact same options.

If you were staying at Bonnet Creek because of condo like options (kitchen, purchasing your own food to cook or eat in your accommodation) then you may want to stay with it.

It really all depends upon why you chose Bonnet in the first place.

You may want to discuss your child's father coming along, regardless of marital status. It may be good practice for all of you to have an enjoyable time regardless, eh? I know that sounds kind of stiff, and maybe not possible right now, but what a better example to set for your child than two parents who, although they are no longer going to live together, can vacation once a year together for the child's sake.

Best of luck to you with the changes that are coming in your life. I hope all goes well for you. :tinker:

We originally booked Bonnet Creek for this vacation because we were planning on going to Universal, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove on this trip..now that isn't going to happen. We are DVC owners also, so I could easily use the points too.

I would consider letting him come, but our daughter at this point in time, is not speaking to her father, she's hurt and wants nothing to do with him. :sad2: She's actually looking forward to vacationing without him right now.

DH just stayed here for his companies kick-off mtg. This is true on DIS property but not a DIS hotel. More business oriented too, doesn't have that Disney feel he said. I'd go for an actaul Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter