Should I Change My Plans?? WWYD??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
My mother and I are going to WDW from Oct 15-20 and staying at Pop Century. We are currently booked on a round-trip itinerary out of FNT, departing at 7:15am (arriving at MCO at 9:30am) and returning at 7:30pm (arriving at FNT at 10:10pm), non-stop in both directions. We live about 90 minutes away so we already have a hotel booked for the night before our flight. Parking at FNT will cost us about $48 for the 6-day trip. We are NOT planning on spending the night on our return so that means we will not get home until after midnight. For the price we paid, we are OK with that. Normally, it would be much easier to fly in and out of GRR (10 minutes from home) but the fares were over $225 each way! We paid $318 total for our fares but they have dropped twice, resulting in a $70 credit for each of us. This credit will go unused because our next planned travel dates aren't until October 2016.

Now I see that there is a return flight from MCO into GRR for only $148. This flight departs at 5:25pm, has a 55 minute layover with plane change at BWI, and lands in GRR at 10:15pm. If we opted to change to this flight, we would get a one-way rental car from Grand Rapids and drop it off at FNT the next day. The car costs about $55, but we would NOT have to pay the $48 for parking so that is basically a wash. Dad would pick us up at the airport on our return so that is also a non-issue.

Getting to my question...on our last day, we have an ADR at Boma for breakfast at 9:40am. If we switch to the 5:30pm flight, I would plan to be back at Pop Century by 2pm to catch our DME bus. Since we would have to go to a park anyways to transfer from AKL to Pop, would we have any time at all to do anything in that park? I was thinking about going to AK and catching a FoTLK show or maybe just walk one of the trails? My mom has a 6-day park hopper and, being the frugal person that she is, she wants to make sure EVERY day gets used:flower3:. I can also look into moving our Boma ADR to an earlier time which would give us more cushion. I was considering AK because it is in the same area as AKL and Pop Century but any park would work.

What do you all think? What would you do?

I would keep my original flights and sleep on the plane so you would be rested for the drive home. I would not want to rely on Disney transportation with a tight schedule especially if you wanted to do something in the park.

I would hate to miss the bus. If it were me, I'd do the long breakfast, then get back to Pop in plenty of time to relax and be ready for the airport bus. They expect to leave by the time the bus is scheduled to go, many drivers do not wait for late comers. Suggestion is to be there at least 15 minutes before the bus. We usually do a late breakfast, more like a brunch, and then wait for the bus.

The one time we depended on Disney buses it didn't work out. We were at MK and had to get to SSR. Waited well over an hour for a bus at MK, once it got there they sit and wait to see if anyone else walks up. Then we hit traffic, so the bus takes another way to the Resort. It took us over 3 hours that day to get to SSR and we missed ME. We thought we had it worked out, just lunch at the Plaza and back to the Resort. Never thought transportation would take that long.

I am not normally one to hit a park on our departure day, but we are usually on a flight that departs between 1-3pm. I was thinking that if I kept within resorts that do not share buses (AKL and Pop) and in the same general vicinity, we would be OK. I am usually perpetually early so I try to plan on being at the DME stop about 30 minutes prior to our scheduled time. You've given me lots to think about...I will update with what we decide.

My .02...

What is the cost difference between the two flights? Take into account parking/rental car/etc.

I don't mind getting home after midnight for more time in the park UNLESS the cost savings is substantial.

My .02...

What is the cost difference between the two flights? Take into account parking/rental car/etc.

I don't mind getting home after midnight for more time in the park UNLESS the cost savings is substantial.

At this point, the cost difference is minimal. Since we paid $318 for the flight initially, and it had dropped down to $248, we have a $70 credit which is basically going to go to waste. If I change the flight, it would "cost" $40 more, but that would just come out of that credit anyways, so no more money out of pocket. We would have the additional cost of having to rent a car to get us from Grand Rapids to Flint ($55) , but we would NOT have to pay the $48 to park our vehicle at the airport. In regards to gas cost, our vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe and the rental car will be a compact so I figure that the extra $7 that we would pay (rental car vs. parking) will be recouped in the fuel savings. So basically, there is no price difference at all.

FWIW, I just moved our Boma reservation to 8:50am. I think we will use Uber to get from Pop to AKL for breakfast. That will save us about an hour in transportation time. If we get done with breakfast by 10, get to the AK by 10:30, I think we see a few things and head out to the bus stop by 1:00 which should get us back to Pop Century by 1:45. That leaves 30 minutes to pick up our luggage and out to the DME stop by 2:15 for an approximately 2:30 pick up. This would give us about 2.5 hours in the park....not too bad. Does my timeline sound correct? I may be a little optimistic about our arrival time to the AK...maybe 11 would be more reasonable, but that would still give us 2 hours to walk around and take in a few more sites. We wouldn't be doing any rides, just shows or self-guided stuff.

At this point, the cost difference is minimal. Since we paid $318 for the flight initially, and it had dropped down to $248, we have a $70 credit which is basically going to go to waste. If I change the flight, it would "cost" $40 more, but that would just come out of that credit anyways, so no more money out of pocket. We would have the additional cost of having to rent a car to get us from Grand Rapids to Flint ($55) , but we would NOT have to pay the $48 to park our vehicle at the airport. In regards to gas cost, our vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe and the rental car will be a compact so I figure that the extra $7 that we would pay (rental car vs. parking) will be recouped in the fuel savings. So basically, there is no price difference at all.
So you're down to more time in the park or a shorter drive home. Tough call.

FWIW, I just moved our Boma reservation to 8:50am. I think we will use Uber to get from Pop to AKL for breakfast. That will save us about an hour in transportation time. If we get done with breakfast by 10, get to the AK by 10:30, I think we see a few things and head out to the bus stop by 1:00 which should get us back to Pop Century by 1:45. That leaves 30 minutes to pick up our luggage and out to the DME stop by 2:15 for an approximately 2:30 pick up. This would give us about 2.5 hours in the park....not too bad. Does my timeline sound correct? I may be a little optimistic about our arrival time to the AK...maybe 11 would be more reasonable, but that would still give us 2 hours to walk around and take in a few more sites. We wouldn't be doing any rides, just shows or self-guided stuff.
Your DME pickup time could be as early as 2:10 (3:15 before flight departure) or as late as 2:40. You won't know until the day before. I would plan for the worst (2:10).
That means you want to be at the DME pickup site w/luggage by 1:55.
I would want to get to luggage services by 1:30 in order to get my bags.
A 15 minute drive time for the bus means pulling out of AK by 1:15 (does the bus stop at BB before going to the resort?).
I would want to be at the bus stop by 12:45 (that allows for a 30 minute wait for a bus), probably 12:30.
That means heading out of the park (depending on where you leave from) around 12-12:15.

Now, an 8:50 dining time at Boma means being done around 9:45-10 (you can rush and shave some more time).
Walking to the bus stop and waiting for the bus is going to be 15-30 minutes (at least), plus a 5 minute drive, lets say it takes 45 minutes to get from Boma to AK.
So you're walking into AK at 10:30-10:45.

That gives you 90 minutes (+/-) to "enjoy" the park. Not enough for me.

If that was *MY* timetable, I'd wander around AKL for a little bit, shop, tour the resort, etc, then probably catch a cab back to Pop around 1 (or earlier if I have seen everything at AKL). I'm paranoid about missing the DME bus though.

If it were me, I never sleep the night before anyway, I would drive to the early flight, nap on the plane. I would stay the late night arrival, 90 minuted drive after huge week is really pushing it. Also, check into the hotel parking. We stayed and parked rate, not much more with a shuttle back and forth. If you reserve and let them know you are staying upon arrival, this would work. With busses, I wouldn't put off to the last minute to get back to the POP. Either an early start to the park, or breakfast and head back by 1:00. The ME could be loaded and ready to go at 2:00-2:15., you don't want to miss the bus.

We took a flight back late arrival at airport 90 minutes away, I crashed in sleep, I couldn't even function to get in and out of the car. I know my son was exhausted too, but pushed himself to get us Home. I will never do that to him again. Similarly, we took auto train and had to drive home from Virgina, omg that was so difficult, even with having a sleeper car, we couldn't sleep well enough to drive alert.

If it were me, I'd use Uber or a cab both ways, regardless of leaving from AK or AKL. When you are leaving AK at the time, there may not be a bus right away, and it will stop at the water park before heading back to Pop. Even 45 minutes for a bus ride from AK to Pop may actually take longer. That's assuming you have little wait for the bus at AK. Expensive late day. If you wanted to see AK, why not have a breakfast in the park? The buffet one is nice. Otherwise, I'd have a later breakfast at Boma, and agree with sam_gordon, I'd enjoy the AKL resort and then head back to Pop, and forget AK.

Are there any hotels near FNT that let you park your car while you are gone that would give you free parking, or less then the $48 rate you will pay? That way you might be able to save $48.

Are there any hotels near FNT that let you park your car while you are gone that would give you free parking, or less then the $48 rate you will pay? That way you might be able to save $48.

I don't think so. I got a room at the Wingate by Wyndham for $70 via Hotels.com and it's already paid for. I don't think I could find a park n fly rate better than that.

I agree with Lynne G... I would utilize Uber or a cab both ways. Your peace of mind and extra time in the park is worth the money spent.

this sounds reasonable to me.... I would do it! That long ride home will be gone,so that's a plus! the timing sounds fine to me also....a couple of hours walking around AK is lovely,all the greenery and animals....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter