Should I call SW concerning a pet allergy?

aquaticmom

Go Pens!
We are flying SW on April 15th. My husband has severe allergic reactions to cats and dogs. Just being in a house with either for short periods of time causes him to require medicated nebulizer treatments. My question is, do I call SW now and alert them, do we mention it at check-in? Has anyone else had any experience with this that could give me some advice? Thank You!

I too am very allergic to cats and have COPD. Since small dogs and cats can travel in carry on its always a possibility. So far has not been a problem. I'm not sure what SW would be able to do other than help with seating away from any pets but I'd certainly call now to see what they say.

I never experienced this myself, but this is what I have heard. Call SW asap, and tell them about your husbands allergy. If someone has already booked the same flight with an on-board pet, you all will have to switch flights. If no pets are on that flight, then they wont book anyone with a pet on that flight. Now, this is what I heard, not 100% fact, so i would call SW asap!!

I wondered how it works with the possibility of pets on board. I'm not allergic but wondered how they managed to offer flights with pets and people who are allergic to them.

the last flight I was on SW a woman went up to the desk prior to boarding and explained that she was highly allergic. This woman and the passenger(s) who had pets were all called to the podium/desk and given early boarding passes...ironically the woman with allergies was to go to the furthest row in the back, the 2 w/pets got the 2nd row in coach...furthest from the woman but that still had a seat in fron t to put animal carriers under.
The woman with allergies also had a connecting flight and needed to make sure she did not get the row that any pet had been in recently on THAT plane...so the SW employee called Chicago ( where the connecting flight was landing) told them about the allergy passenger, to make sure row ____ was to be reserved for her on the plane and to handle cleaning accordingly. The allergy passenger was to get another early boarding pass in Chicago for boarding that connecting flight. All I know is the woman with the allergies saud she loved SW becasue they did NOT allow animals, so she was pretty bummed about having to trust that they handle things for those with severe allergies. I can say that our flight did not have to stop for any medical emergencies, so I guess all went well.

You will need to call NOW and there are no guarantees that the plane you are going to be flying on will not have an animal (service or otherwise) for that flight or have had any on a prior flight since being fully cleaned (between flights the planes are serviced, but very quickly - do not expect a full disinfection). People change flights all the time, whether to missed connections, delays requiring a new flight, etc, and some may have a pet with them. Fortunately, most flights do not have pets, they are really not that common.

I wondered how it works with the possibility of pets on board. I'm not allergic but wondered how they managed to offer flights with pets and people who are allergic to them.

Most airlines allow pets which need to be booked at the time of booking the person's reservation, so it's more about awareness that those who are allergic need to consider. Most people are not so severely allergic that they become severely ill just by being in proximity of the pets, usually they must touch them or be touched by them.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
I did call SW this morning and they were very understanding, but however, they do not have a cut and dry policy concerning this.
To the previous poster, my husband does not have to come in direct contact with a pet, just being in the proximity is enough for a asthmatic attack, but as he posted this is not common.
They have red flagged our reservation, we are to confirm this at the ticket counter and again at the gate. I was informed that we would most likely pre-board and be asked to sit at the front of the plane then if there happens to be a pet on our flight, they will be seated as far away as possible from us. She asked if the separation on the plane would be enough, and if not one of the parties would be asked to be bumped to another flight. So I guess we'll find out the answer to this when we get on the plane. Wish us luck.

Considering the severity of your husband's allergy I'm not sure I'd take the chance on flying as there are no guarantees a pet was not previously on board the plane, and their hair still present (or on someone's clothes sitting nearby). I'd look for alternative forms of transportation.

It' sjust like with peanut allergies and flying.

Th eairlines can only do so much with accomodating allergies and than it is the person who has the allergy responsibility to decide what is the best for them.

We preboard on SW so we have time to wipe down our seats adn tray table and they do not serve peanuts but they can't guarantee that no peanuts were sereved or consumed in that row in a flight before.

Same with pets, they might be able to guarantee no pets on your flight but there migh thave been pets on the flights before yours and if your husbands allergy is that severe, that will probably set him off as well.

Also, be prepared that if someone with a service animal is on the flight, they will not get bumped from the flight (unless they agree to it). You will be the one to get bumped if you cannot take that flight because of teh animal so be prepared for the possibility of delays if that happens

This doesn't really help you much but it might be good to know that the air in planes is not circulated for the whole flight, as alot of people believe. I'm a flight attendant with a canadian airline and our boeings air is completely refreshed every 3 minutes. What this might mean for your husband is a cleaner environment than found in a pet home.

I've got moderate cat/dog related asthma. Being in a home that owns one sets it off, but in 3 years I've never experienced a reaction on the plane because the animals are tucked in their bags, under the seat.

Good luck!

I was informed that we would most likely pre-board and be asked to sit at the front of the plane then if there happens to be a pet on our flight, they will be seated as far away as possible from us.

That doesn't sound like a very good plan. They would have you pre-board and sit in the front and then all the other passengers, including any pets, would walk by you? Wouldn't it be better to have you pre-board and sit in the back and have any passengers with pets board after you and sit in the front so they don't have to walk past you? Good luck, I hope all goes well!

and their hair still present (or on someone's clothes sitting nearby).

If you have severe pet allergies and you're on the same flight as me, don't sit near me! I spend so much time with animals (I own pets, I work with dogs and cats, and in my spare time I volunteer at animal shelters) that I'm pretty sure everything I own is permanently covered in pet hair!

I have a severe corn allergy, so I'm just glad they don't serve popcorn on flights! popcorn::

If you have severe pet allergies and you're on the same flight as me, don't sit near me! I spend so much time with animals (I own pets, I work with dogs and cats, and in my spare time I volunteer at animal shelters) that I'm pretty sure everything I own is permanently covered in pet hair!

This sounds like me! My office chair is even covered in pet hair. I gave up a long time ago and just live with it.
I say "my pets travel with me where ever I go"... even if it is just their hair.

Sorry that I don't have anything to add for O.P, but I can say I've beenn on quite a few flights that make announcements before boarding and while on the the plane notifying passengers that someone on board has a peanut allergy and to please refrain from eating anything that contains nuts.

Sorry that I don't have anything to add for O.P, but I can say I've beenn on quite a few flights that make announcements before boarding and while on the the plane notifying passengers that someone on board has a peanut allergy and to please refrain from eating anything that contains nuts.

Yet, their official policy states:

Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights. In addition, Southwest cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft’s routing.

At least during this time of year people have less heavy coats with pet hair and dander on them from pets at home.

Pet hair allergies, peanut allergies, and latex/balloon allergies are all tough ones to have a policy on as like many posters have said, it could have happened on a prior flight, within the airport, at home, etc.

I'd suggest bringing your own disinfecting wipes and asking at the gate if you can go on early to wipe down seats near the back for you and your husband. he also may want to wear a filter mask during boarding as that is when most of the irritants will be flying.

we are scheduled to fly on SWA next month. i just got off the phone with SWA and they made a note in our flight record that my son has a severe allergy to dogs. the customer relations agent said she could not tell if there were any animals already booked on the flight and suggested i call back again in like 2 weeks.

i was in no way told that animals would be "blocked" from the flight.

IMO, i really hope SWA does away with this policy of allowing dogs on the plane quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter