• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I Bring A Harness?!?!

Wendybird55

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Though I've been to Disney many times, this September will be the first time with my son. He will be 23months when we go and I am so looking forward to it. My main concern is keeping track of him and not losing him.
I am bringing a stroller, but I know he can't sit in it all day. I want him to be able to move around in Mickey's Toon Town and run up to the characters, etc. BUT, my son tends to run and not walk and he's fast to slip away if given even the smalles of opportunities.

When we go to Disney I'm afraid that he will either run away at that split moment or we will spend lots of time trying to grab his hand and chasing him and he will spend lots of time wiggling wanting to be "free". Not a fun situation for either.

The only solution I can think of is a toddler harness. I know they make you feel as if you're treating your child like a dog, but they work. I figure with a harness he has freedom to walk around and I will feel better knowing I have a hold of him. I've looked online and they have some harnesses that can also be back packs so it's not so obvious.

Has anyone ever used a harness on their toddler at Disney? Any other suggestions on how I can let my son walk around without worrying every moment he will run away? I know about tattos and tags and other identifications, but at 23months he won't be able to know enough to look for someone, etc. if he gets lost. Plus I know Disney is Disney, but unfortuantely kids can be stolen anywhere. I know I may be a bit overconcerned here, but hey, I'm a mom. Any suggestions or input will be very much apprciated.

Thanks,
Wendy

It takes up about 3 cubic inches of space in your luggage. Why not take it?

Many of those people who object, on principle, to the idea of a harness have never had to keep track of a toddler in a crowd.

I say do whatever lets you sleep a little better at night.

It takes up about 3 cubic inches of space in your luggage. Why not take it?

Many of those people who object, on principle, to the idea of a harness have never had to keep track of a toddler in a crowd.

I say do whatever lets you sleep a little better at night.

I totally agree. I bought one and took it but never used it. DS was happy sitting in the stoller.
Over the years I seen a lot of parents using them at disney. Do what you have to keep your kid safe.

I have to say, I never got one because I just don't like the idea of harnesing my child, and you know you get those looks from people (without kids) like your crazy.... but when it comes down to it, losing your child in a croud is a lot worse than putting a harness on them! I agree with PP - buy one, but you don't have to use it - see what your little one wants/needs.

Take the harness with you, but with a little planning you might not need to use it. What my daughter did was before we went to Disney with my 2 year old GS, she started taking him on walks around the block, making him hold her hand, and I have to say, we did take the harness with us, but didn't have to use it. Give it a shot, my own kids were horrors to walk with, but I never did try as my daughter did. Have to give her credit, it worked.

But if it doesn't take the harness, better safe than sorry, especially if he's a runner!

Definitely bring it - you'll figure out if it will work for you and your child or not. I personally find Toon Town much too crowded to let my 2yo walk around freely (with the exception of the little play area which is fenced-in) with or without a harness - I tried to save freedom for the emptier areas of the park (like the fountains by the Imagination pavillion at Epcot), and the harness wasn't necessary in those areas. In other words, if it is crowded enough in an area that you feel that you need the harness (vs. just chasing the child), it's probably too crowded to let the child down with a harness, too.

FWIW, we never needed a harness when dd was younger (trips to WDW at 17mo and 28mo)... ds is a whole other type of kid, he BOLTS at the drop of a hat and is very fast!

We picked up a monkey backpack harness at Walmart for $9.99 (I've seen dogs and unicorns as well) and it was the best thing we brought with us! Ds was able to have a ton more freedom than if we didn't have the harness and we had the piece of mind that he wouldn't run off. Oh and we didn't have to chase him all over WDW!

Ds does really like his stroller, but there are A LOT of places that you cannot take the stroller..most notably waiting on line and in some of the different pavilions in Epcot (like the Land).

I highly recommend one!

I would've killed to have one on our past trip (October). DS was 22 1/2 months at the time. He wanted to walk, which was fine, but he was\is in the independent stage of not wanting to hand-hold. We looked and looked for one and couldn't find one, but you bet I would've used it!! And I was one who said they never would (use one). I say bring it, it can't hurt, and most likely, you'll be happy you did. :)

Bring a harness!!!

I have 2 older girls, and they never needed one. I didn't really see the point since they were content at my side. (and to be honest, didn't understand why other people needed them!!)

My 3 year old son, however, is a runner, and loves to be active. I KNOW he will not be content in a stroller the entire day, and like you, would love to have him interact with the characters. This is his first time at Disney, and we plan on purchasing one.

I challenge anyone to keep my 3 year old in a stroller the entire day. And, the second you get distracted, he could be gone!

All kids are different - you know if your child needs one or not. :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone - it helps to get input. I can imagine what people might think when they see a child on a harness, but who cares? as long as he's happy and safe. I saw the harness with animals that can also be a back pack and might go with that. I like everylastbreath's idea of getting him used to walking holding our hands. I have a whole summer before we leave and I think I'll try that - taking him for a walk up and down the block and hopefully he'll get used to our hand and listen to us as he's walking (now that's a good one!).

Thanks again...also for any of you mom's with toddlers who have been to Disney recently - what are your suggestions for "must-do" activites. I've been to Dsiney arond 20 times but not as a mom so of course I didn't do much of the kiddie activties. It's been a long time since I've been on Peter Pan and I don't think I've ever been on Dumbo - I'm looking forward to it all!

Zip-A-De-Do-Dah - Wendy

I can imagine what people might think when they see a child on a harness, but who cares? as long as he's happy and safe. - Wendy

You got that right, anyone who looks at you like that has never had a child that bolts, besides he's your son and his safety is your main concern, not other peoples thoughts. Keep that baby safe, forget about other people.

We bought a "monkey on his back" from Wal-Mart and used it last year at WDW and the Grand Canyon. Our wandering 4 year old loved it because it was a "his" personal backpack with his stuff in it. The only looks or comments we received were people telling us how cute he was and how they wish they had one. We also saw several other families using them while we were there.

I plan on bringing one for our 2.5 year old. I generally don't like them but in some situations they are useful - almost necessary even!

I figure those who think I am a bad parent for using one would think I was an even worse parent if I lost my kid!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter