Should I become a DVC member

megnaf

Earning My Ears
I am considering becoming a DVC member and I am on the fence about joining. I have ruled out the resale market becuse of the recent limations (cant use on cruises and not sure about the RCI market i may be mistaken - please advise if incorrect). We are considering Animal Kingdom since we loved staying there and we have stayed at Deluxe resorts in the past and would like to do so in the future.
My concerns:
- how are the villas compared to the resorts/ regular rooms? Are they updated or of lesser quality?
- if I were to use the RCI service is it difficult to use my points?
- when I figure out the cost (monthly financing & maintainence) to become a member it costs more than the promotions that I have recieved in the past for the deluxe resorts that we have stayed in
- are the other clubs outside of Walt Disney World with the exception of Aulani outdated?
- does anyone regret becoming a memeber and why?

I am considering becoming a DVC member and I am on the fence about joining. I have ruled out the resale market becuse of the recent limations (cant use on cruises and not sure about the RCI market i may be mistaken - please advise if incorrect). We are considering Animal Kingdom since we loved staying there and we have stayed at Deluxe resorts in the past and would like to do so in the future.
My concerns:
- how are the villas compared to the resorts/ regular rooms? Are they updated or of lesser quality?
- when I figure out the cost (monthly financing & maintainence) to become a member it costs more than the promotions that I have recieved in the past for the deluxe resorts that we have stayed in
- are the other clubs outside of Walt Disney World with the exception of Aulani outdated?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but everything I just read suggests that you should not buy DVC. Sorry if this comes across as matter of fact, but we've got a lot of ground to cover. :) First off, please know that you are buying a timeshare and not becoming a member of a club. Secondly, please investigate the real options you have regarding using points for cruises, etc. You will find that they cost massive amounts of points and the trade value is NOT in your favor. You can use resale or direct points for RCI, but on a very limited basis and I'm not sure why you would want to. It's like paying for a Cadillac and then trading it for a Chevy. Third, DVC rooms are not as well kept up as resort rooms. Fourth, if it costs more than simply booking direct, why are you even considering it? To add to that, financing is not a wise financial move as it puts you in a precarious position should you need to sell for any reason.

Bottom line, I think you could benefit from changing your thinking a bit on this. You are buying a timeshare, not becoming a member of a club, so start to think of it on those terms. Also, AKV direct points are double the price of resale points and have no real difference in use. Look into the resale option, you won't be sorry. Good luck! :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but everything I just read suggests that you should not buy DVC. Sorry if this comes across as matter of fact, but we've got a lot of ground to cover. :) First off, please know that you are buying a timeshare and not becoming a member of a club. Secondly, please investigate the real options you have regarding using points for cruises, etc. You will find that they cost massive amounts of points and the trade value is NOT in your favor. You can use resale or direct points for RCI, but on a very limited basis and I'm not sure why you would want to. It's like paying for a Cadillac and then trading it for a Chevy. Third, DVC rooms are not as well kept up as resort rooms. Fourth, if it costs more than simply booking direct, why are you even considering it? To add to that, financing is not a wise financial move as it puts you in a precarious position should you need to sell for any reason.

Bottom line, I think you could benefit from changing your thinking a bit on this. You are buying a timeshare, not becoming a member of a club, so start to think of it on those terms. Also, AKV direct points are double the price of resale points and have no real difference in use. Look into the resale option, you won't be sorry. Good luck! :)

Thanks.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I enjoy staying at Disney property and recently met with a DVC rep. Since my kids are young I figured I would get more value out of the DVC in the long run but I am concerned about the things that I listed. I appreciate your feedback.

My concerns:

I know ELMC covered this well, but I'd like to also encourage you to do a lot more reading on DVC before jumping in. If you want to buy AKL direct...you will be paying on average $80+ per point more. At just 100 points, that is $8k. Save that money for the cruises! They are a terrible value for the amount of points needed. And you can use RCI, I haven't done it personally but I have checked it out...doesn't seem like much of a value either.

I really like the rooms, but they are not as well maintained as regular rooms. I don't really notice this as much as others have.

DVC is really only a deal at resale prices, IMO. Direct prices are insane!

Take some time to read a few pages below your post, your questions are asked and answered several time per week. There is more to ownership than most people realize.

Good luck and happy reading.

:earsboy: Bill

If your main interest in DVC is trading out to RCI or DCL, then do not by into DVC because you will be very frustrated and not a happy DVC owner.

I wouldn't buy unless you are planning to visit at least 15 times. That's a lot of trips to the mouse even if your kiddo's are still little.

Cruising is not a good use of points at all unless you are counting your personal time in with the $$$ (some do have more money than time kwim) if you are taking real value it's just not there.

When we purchased we got a really great deal, the contract was loaded and we purchased at the higher priced resale resort we really wanted and still it will take us 11 trips to break even on our original purchase price plus dues and then at the end of the 11 years/trips we'll be visiting just for the cost of yearly dues.....that's a long time to just break even (this is with me comparing the resort we like to stay at with promotions I've gotten in the past. I know you can't rely on always getting a promotion but in the past I've been lucky so that's what I based my comparison on).

Since DVC is a timeshare, members pay for everything. You are buying a timeshare when you buy DVC.

All maintenance comes out of our annual fees that we pay. Hard renovations are scheduled about every seven to fifteen years. OKW was built in 1991 but was just completely (well 90%) renovated in 2011. That's 19 years. BWV was built after OKW and was renovated in 2010. They will do soft renovations (paint, replace soft goods in the villas, etc) every four to six years. Even completed (or nearly complete) renovations may reuse the existing furniture, but refinish it or recover it. The OKW bathrooms are now actually 22 years old. They do repairs, they touch up paint, but basically the bathroom looks the same as it did when they opened.

In 2014, DVC is supposed to replace the bedspreads in the villas with triple sheeted beds and bed scarfs, but not duvets. They have duvets in BLT, but they are horrible when you are trying to make the bed.

Also, if you like discounted stays, you won't get them with DVC. Seldom do members get "upgraded" when they arrive unless the very last villa of the type they booked is suddenly taken out of service and they have no where else to put the member. Perks come and go.

My concerns:
You say you've ruled out resale due to the limitations included cruises (RCI is not restricted and is unlikely to be). So I'm to take it you're willing to pay around twice as much plus buy more points through retail to give yourself this options that barely returns what you pay for dues if you're lucky?

RCI isn't difficult to use if you learn the system and plan but you do need to put the effort in and plan at least 10-12 months out and be prepared for the best resorts and best times to never be available to you. Buena Vista Trading company is also not restricted but I think that could change in the future but that RCI (or a replacement) will continue in place for all members.

DVC will almost certainly not save you money. It may give you more for around the same money or a little more if what you give up in return isn't that important to you. I'd suggest you spend time getting a better feel and maybe stay in a DVC resort once of twice on a rental so you get the feel for how it works being a member compared to a cash guest.

Thanks everyone these have been great suggestions. I will do some more research. I appreciate everyone recommendations.

My concerns:

I say only become a member if you are an avid Disney fan and plan to travel there often, not for the RCI perks.

I look at the member benefits as a perk and not one of the reasons I joined. I get no benefit out of the annual pass because we go once a year. I like the discount at stores and restaurants when we go as an added perk (we would have been at Disney anyway)

I have only been to Vero Beach and we adore it.

I do not regret becoming a member at all. I look at it as we are set on our rooms for the future and never have to pay for them again (just the maint fees that come along with them)

If you only visit Disney every few years then I do not feel this is the product for you at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter