• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should Disney offer Free Internet service for its guests?

ScottNBecky

DIS Veteran
This is my weekly blog. I would like to know your thoughts about this as well.

Should Disney offer Free Internet service for their resort guests?

Many guests to Walt Disney World take their laptops on vacation with them to stay in contact with the rest of the world. They may need it for business, information, or just for leisure. Regardless, Disney does not offer free Internet service to its guests who stay on property. In today’s world, most hotels offer this convenience free of charge as a perk to stay at their hotel.

I have read hundreds of posts on message boards of guests who return from a trip to Walt Disney World and complain that they had to pay for Internet service. Disney offers guests two options, $4.99 for one hour, or $9.99 for 24 continuous hours of service. Opinions vary on whether this is appropriate or not. Some say this is fine, as they do not need access every day, and are willing to spend the money every couple of days. Some feel like if they have spent thousands of dollars for a vacation, then what is a bit more money. Others feel like if they have spent a good chunk of money for a vacation to Walt Disney World, then the least Disney could do is to offer this service free of charge to them.

Disney does not have to offer this service as a complimentary feature because most of its resorts are full throughout the year. Other hotel chains use this option as a perk that may get people to stay at their hotel instead. Disney has recently begun the implementation of giving free Internet service to its guests who are Disney Vacation Club members. This is a good start considering DVC members have paid thousands of dollars on Disney and are set to vacation there for the next 50 years.

Where do I stand on this issue? I believe that with technology being such a part of most peoples lives, Disney could relax its current policy and offer free service to those who are staying at their resorts. Disney has plenty of other avenues to generate money, by raising ticket prices, merchandise, and food options etc…. Disney already offers guests so many perks by staying on property, but with the infusion of Vacation Homes, and other high quality resorts in the Orlando area seeking to get guests to their properties, Disney would be wise to eat this cost and give one more complimentary service to its guests.

I am in the travel industry and believe me there is no such thing as free internet access or free anything at hotels.

Although presented as free, and yes there is no additional charge for it, the cost of that interent access is built in to the price of the room resulting in an over all higher room rate thna the hotel would have charged without the "free" perk.

Disney is a resort and while many, many hotels aimed at the business or transient traveler offer "free" internet, most resorts do not.

$9.95 per day is the going rate at most hotels that charge. In Europe and Asia it is much higher.

Many of us escape the laptop on vacation and why have this "free" access drive up the cost of a room for everyone when many do not need or want it. I would much rather see those that want it pay for it on an as needed basis, for if DW offers free internet access, I guarantee room rates will be increased to abosorb the cost and passed on to everyone whether they use the interent access or not.

Yes, they should, at LEAST in the Deluxe resorts. A lot of people who visit WDW need to work while on vacation, unfortunately.

I don't care if they hike up the room rates another $10/night. It is a pain to have to sign on and then the charges are always wrong, requiring a trip to the front desk, etc.

It should just be included in the room rate, IMO. The infrastructure is all there already (lines, cables, hookups, etc.)

I'm one of those vacationers who need to have internet access while in WDW; at least until I finish my online Master Degree program. I say no, Disney should not offer the internet for free to its guests. Most higher end hotels don't offer the service for free; even higher end conference hotels. Only medium range hotel use this as a perk to attract lower cost business travelers.

I agree with another poster who said that free internet access is not really free. While I agree that some Disney guest need or want access but I would guess that is no where near a majority. The majority shouldn't be charged (through increased room costs) for the needs of the minority. If I need access, which I do, I'll gladly pay for it

There is no such thing as free.

If Disney is going to offer it, someone is going to pay for it. Whether it's absorbed into room rate increases, or whether they cut corners somewhere else to pay for the added cost, somewhere along the way it's going to cost someone something.

I think I would prefer it to be a charge that's paid only by those using it.

YES. Disney guests are already paying a fortune to stay onsite. It would be a lovely additional guest benefit. I can't imagine it costs them much to provide it for free. And I don't think they should raise room rates in order to do so. Maybe only charge at the values since those are mostly amenity free anyhow. To be honest, I was surprised when I found out there was a fee. I realize that they're a business and need to make a profit, but come on...they make so much on everything else.

No I don't think it should be free. I stay in lots of hotels during the year. The cheaper ones offer it free while the better hotels charge for it.

I am sure if Disney makes it free they will build it into their pricing so everyone pays for it whether or not they use it. So those that need it should just pay for it.

No I don't think it should be free. I stay in lots of hotels during the year. The cheaper ones offer it free while the better hotels charge for it.

I am sure if Disney makes it free they will build it into their pricing so everyone pays for it whether or not they use it. So those that need it should just pay for it.

Even though I think is should be free based on what we already pay to stay there, I do agree with this point. I suppose in a perfect world they would just give it to us, but tis not the case I guess.

I prefer to pay for everything separately so I can choose what I want to pay for. I also feel that we get better service when we're paying specifically for something rather than "getting it for free" as part of a larger package.

Disney has a good thing going - $10/24 hrs/laptop - they're not about to give that up. :laughing:

To some extent, they do offer it for free - hook up your laptop and you can get to their approved websites (disney resorts / parks etc) without clicking the charge confirmation.

I agree with the posters who feel Disney should continue to charge for Internet access.

How is it fair to the majority of Guests - who do not bring computers - to have to pay for that service if Disney offered it 'free' and made up the money by raising prices somewhere else?

I don't know for certain, but I can't believe that it costs Disney about $10 a day for each room to sign on to the internet. I think it's safe to say that there's profit being made there.

I don't mind paying for access (I'm one of those people that works all the time and without my laptop would not be able to go on vacation at all) but I don't think it should be a money-making opportunity for Disney.

I don't know for certain, but I can't believe that it costs Disney about $10 a day for each room to sign on to the internet.
I can't believe it costs Disney $75 per day to have me walk around Epcot buying things, but that's the way it is.

but I don't think it should be a money-making opportunity for Disney.
Of course it should be. Why would you say it shouldn't? :confused3:confused3

Buy DVC. Internet included.

The other option is for Disney to say 'Hey, all the rooms are now $10 more expensive. But guess what?!? You get free internet!' Now, I would love to not have to use the net on vacation. Most times, however, I have to. So I end up paying the $10. But some days I don't have to, and I don't pay.

If they included it in room cost, tons of people would be paying for it, but never use it.

Yep. If Disney's going to give me "free" Internet access without providing me with the tools to USE that feature, well, I'd be a less-than-happy camper...

If you are really one who need the internet alot on the road most times you have a card anyway. We do so no need to sign on thru their internet.

I don't know for certain, but I can't believe that it costs Disney about $10 a day for each room to sign on to the internet. I think it's safe to say that there's profit being made there.

I don't mind paying for access (I'm one of those people that works all the time and without my laptop would not be able to go on vacation at all) but I don't think it should be a money-making opportunity for Disney.

You bet there is. Disney's normal markup on merchandise is 400 percent. They are not about to do anything that doesn't make them money. In the end, it is really all about the money.

If you are really one who need the internet alot on the road most times you have a card anyway. We do so no need to sign on thru their internet.

Thats not true. I only need remote internet when I'm on vacation. Thus, I don't need a card, since when I'm home I just use the home internet.

I would say that more people are in a similar situation to me then not.

Disney does nothing for 'free'...DME? Everyone is paying for it in some way, most likely room rates. Free mug refills? Talk about a mark-up....but we're still paying for it by buying those stupid mugs.
I have DVC, so now will get 'free' internet. But, I'm pretty sure my dues will be taking care of paying for that 'perk'.
I really don't think they need to make it free for everyone. Those that really need to use their computers can pay as they go. I don't want to pay increased room rates in order to pay for a perk I'm not using.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter