Should bigots be allowed to be teachers?

Should this bigoted teacher lose her job?

• Yes, she crossed the line when she publicly advocated for discriminating against certain students

• No, those are her views. If she is doing her job, you can't fire her

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching Watch What Happens Live on Bravo and this woman was named the jerk of the day as I was reading the thread.:rotfl2:

Quite.

...but it's late, and I'm tired. I know it's not even the tip of the iceberg, but sometimes there are attitudes that just leave me shaking my head. Everyone has value, everyone has worth, everyone has something to contribute.
A couple more recent gay contributors to society...

Alan Turing - credited with much of the ideas and science leading to the invention of the computer. He also cracked Nazi codes in WW2.

Sally Ride - physicist and astronaut. First American woman in space.

Is it possible to dislike the act while liking those who participate? I see this argument a lot and I don't buy it.

Besides I still feel that people should be free to live their lives as they see fit. I never understand the notion that others need to control how people live their lives. It's bizarre and that makes people like this teacher bizarre in my eyes.

Is it possible to dislike the act while liking those who participate? I see this argument a lot and I don't buy it.

Besides I still feel that people should be free to live their lives as they see fit. I never understand the notion that others need to control how people live their lives. It's bizarre and that makes people like this teacher bizarre in my eyes.

Yeah, I don't get this either. It's not like being gay is limited to just an act. Whether you are celibate, or not, you are still gay.

Yeah, I don't get this either. It's not like being gay is limited to just an act. Whether you are celibate, or not, you are still gay.
Exactly. However those that go on and on about how wrong being gay is focus on only one small part of it. They don't see the commitment and affection and so on which is a shame.

Bingo.

If you are a hateful, ignorant, righteous *******, well that's not limited to just an act either. It's something you are, way down deep inside. No matter what you are hating on.

Here is my story. (well not mine, but a good one)

My grandmother's cousin was gay. He met his partner in the service during WWII. We grew up as them part of the family. We always knew they were gay, before we even had any idea about sex. They were a couple. It's just who they were. They were together until about 5 years ago, when my grandmother's cousin passed away. Both gentleman were (are) in their 80s. They were together for 60+ years. I know very few heterosexual couples that stayed together for 60+ years.

Actually, when I look back on it, my parents weren't very uptight about sexuality. The women that used to babysit us were a gay couple, too. Go figure.

She's welcome to have any beliefs she wants. However, even before this, her own students knew she was against homosexuals. I have to say, as a parent and a special education teacher, it would be a cold day in hell before my child was in her class. How can anyone trust her to advocate equally for ALL her students? How could any student who was homosexual go to her and feel like she was on their side?

Did you watch the video? It's clear that she is using her role as a teacher to advocate for a gay-free Prom. She also clearly says that she feels that gay people don't have a purpose in life (around 1:41 on the video). How can a special education teacher, one whose career is based on helping kids be the best they can, feel that way about anyone?

I'm all for the freedom of free speeching but in my country this woman would be standing in court.
This whole gay issue is just as discriminatory as calling black people xxx or calling Muslims or Jewish people xxxx.

O and if gays have no purpose in the real life the Disney parks would be empty because many,many CM would just "haveno purpose to work".

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Bingo - and it is noteworthy that there has been an increasing number of new threads in this particular forum of the DIS that focus one particular political issue (you-know-what rights). Why do the advocates for that feel so compelled to use this community to broadcast their politics?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Wall-E1 said:
A couple more recent gay contributors to society...

Alan Turing - credited with much of the ideas and science leading to the invention of the computer. He also cracked Nazi codes in WW2.

Sally Ride - physicist and astronaut. First woman in space.

Turing is one man who quite literally turned the tide of the war. While it's hard to pinpoint people and moments that effected something so big, it is very possible that Turing was a lynch pin in the allies winning, that without his contributions they might not have done so. He is also, as you say, father of computer science. We are having this discussion thanks, in part, to Turing. (Both our freedom to have it and the technology to do so.)

Didn't mean to get side tracked. I just love Turing and his amazing and heart breaking story. No worth as a person my backside!

Great news! :goodvibes

Also, last time I checked, treating people kindly and with dignity wasn't a political issue, it was common sense and the right thing to do.

Ah, the loving free hearts of some people. :rolleyes:

As to why "choose this forum", it's not just this forum, it's the world. Get used to it. More and more people are saying and backing this because there is no reason why gay people shouldn't be allowed to be treated as a regular human being, because the ARE regular human beings. Why some people can't wrap their heads around that, I don't know.

This whole story makes me ill ;-(

My heart especially breaks for the two teens at the end talking about the 'good' prom. So sad to be so closed at such a young age.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Allowing gay and lesbian students to attend the prom is "offensive to us," said Medley

She doesn't even teach at that school, she isn't going to be chaperoning the prom. She doesn't have to see *gasp* and gay couples enjoying their HS prom. She chose to join this campaign and it isn't even her school. She's a real piece of work :rolleyes:

I'm all for the freedom of free speeching but in my country this woman would be standing in court.
This whole gay issue is just as discriminatory as calling black people xxx or calling Muslims or Jewish people xxxx.

In court, seriously? That's messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter