Should an EXTREMELY OVER-PROTECTIVE (helicopter) mom let her kids PIRATE CRUISE?

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm not an overly protective mom (I took DS to a week-long overnight camp last summer--OUT OF STATE!...of course it was the same one I went to when I was a kid :) ), but it reminded me that DS wanted to do this a few years ago and we couldn't get him a spot. I called as soon as I saw this post and they had one spot left for the day I wanted in June. We're going to surprise him...I can't wait to see his reaction.

Anyway, I say let the kids do it. As OP said, the CMs are all trained and will be sure everyone is safe...and it's only 2 hours.

I don't usually post this late but I have to with this one.

My daughter-in-law just about fainted with the idea of her daughter going on the pirates cruise. Even though I thought nothing of it and my granddaughter was so psyched.

Fears to put aside. YOU are in control until the pirates get their instructions about five minutes before the cruise. YOU get to pick out their life jackets and test them for size. Once those kids get their instructions, though, well, they aren't kids. They are pirates. I can't really describe it but when I looked at my daughter-in-law, she visably relaxed in those five minutes before the cruise. Yes, you get the pager in case of emergency. But that really isn't enough for a parent, is it? I don't want to say it's magic but it's close to it. You get to see the pirates (they really aren't kids anymore) board the ship. They might wave to you.

For the next two hours they are pirates. Be at the dock when they come back. You'll know they are pirates.

After the boat pulled out my daughter-in-law (and trust me, she worries every single minute of every single day about what her kids are doing) turned to me and said "what the hell was I worried about?".

Yes - that is me! I know I am crazy, so you don't have to tell me that! :tilt: :crazy: :tilt: The thought of them being on a boat without me makes me all sweaty.... :scared: But they are BEGGING to do it....

My DD4 and DS5 did the cruise at CBR this past december. I was TERRIFIED of letting them go. But, as another poster said, you get to be there till they step on the boat. My DH and I snuck around for a little bit watching them through my video camera zoom lens to see how they were doing. After about 15 minutes I was able to walk away. They had my cell # to call if something happened, and I was at the food court/pool area the whole time they were out, so I was right there. I was worried my DD is a very tiny 4 yr old and the smallest on the cruise. She told me later than they stopped ashore to go potty and a girl who was about 10 helped take her to the potty. (don't worry we asked her (my dd) about that for about 20 minutes, getting the whole scoop as gently as possible-can't be totally not paranoid.LOL). Anyway, when they came back, they were SOOOOO happy!! My DD was the one who found the key to the treasure chest and unlock it once they came ashore. It was fantastic! And the crew was so great with them. They want to do another one this December!!

:sad1: Oh well, I waited too long. The cruise is booked for the entire 12 days we will be there in June! :sad1:

I agree with rainy~daze but took it one step further. My DS was 4 and an only child when he went on his first pirate cruise. He was very upset when we left him and it was breaking my heart. Anyway, the captain paid special attention to him because he was upset and off he went. Well, long story short, we ran and jumped on a monorail, followed him around to all of the stops and hid and watched to make sure he was having a good time. Bottom line, he had a great time and the only people who were concerned were us. Today, he thinks these types of activites are "big rewards" for good report cards and things like that. :laughing:

TruBlu - don't give up, people do cancel. I have called daily in the past to get a pirate cruise and have been successful every time. Good luck!

You know, I hadn't even thought about this. My Daughter has no seperation issues from me and I normally have none for her but now I am having all sorts of horrible thoughts about what *COULD* happen! She did the cooking class last year with no problem and the Pirate trip is this year in May. We've taken her on two Disney cruises and I had NIGHTMARES about her falling overboard both times leading up to the trip. She was afraid to go near the railings. I assume they make them stay seated while the boat is moving? She might not want to move out of her seat, so I hope so! :)

Actually, my biggest worry is that she will be among the youngest (She will be 5 June 1) and that she'll get 'left out' because of it. Did that make sense?

:sad1: Oh well, I waited too long. The cruise is booked for the entire 12 days we will be there in June! :sad1:

If it rains on either of your Thursday or Saturday's you are there they will do a pirate treasure hunt inside the hotel and people scheduled for the cruise will cancel because they aren't on the boat. So check the daily forcast the day before and get on the waiting list.

Also you can just show up and ask if they have openings the CM said that they usually have more openings then what the ADR says.

You know, I hadn't even thought about this. My Daughter has no seperation issues from me and I normally have none for her but now I am having all sorts of horrible thoughts about what *COULD* happen! She did the cooking class last year with no problem and the Pirate trip is this year in May. We've taken her on two Disney cruises and I had NIGHTMARES about her falling overboard both times leading up to the trip. She was afraid to go near the railings. I assume they make them stay seated while the boat is moving? She might not want to move out of her seat, so I hope so! :)

Actually, my biggest worry is that she will be among the youngest (She will be 5 June 1) and that she'll get 'left out' because of it. Did that make sense?

My 3 are doing it on May 3 from the GF. My youngest is a very short 4, and I think they will take special care of her because of that. From all I have read and heard, I think they make sure that all the kids are having fun, and they will spend their time more with those who need extra encouragement or who don't seem to have joined right in immediately. Also, they are buddied up into partners, so she will have another little DD most likely to be friends with. If you're concerned, maybe pull one of the CMs aside beforehand and discuss who would be the best buddy for her - instead of another girl her age, they might see an older girl with no-one else her age there, and might put her "in charge" of taking care of your DD. Older girls (8 - 10) love taking care of little ones, usually.

:cool1: I got reservations for the PIRATE CRUISE!:cool1:
Thanks for all the encouragement to keep trying! :goodvibes It worked like a charm!:shamrock:

Scratch that worry off your list. Your daughter will be paired up with someone around her same age. It's a true buddy system. She's not going to be left out of the group when they are digging for treasure. I can't describe how wonderful the Cast Members are on this cruise. When that boat docks at the end, all you are going to see is smiling and happy faces. I really think the only reason the kids get off the boat is to tell their parents what fun they had. Otherwise, they'd stay on the thing all day.

I have a few questions about the pirate cruise that I was hoping that someone on this thread could answer (forgive me if I'm hijacking)-

We have a trip planned for December and my two boys will be four and five at the time, my questions is my youngest has food allergies due to reflux. Because of this a few items that are included in the lunch are out for him. Will they work with me? I'm not expecting a total customized meal or even special treatment, he just can't eat the lunch and I would hate for him to miss out.

How physical are the cruise activities? I ask because my youngest also has some mobility issues as well. He is a little clumsy, for a lack of a better word. He can walk without assistance and he can move just fine, but he takes a little longer to do things than normal four year olds. I just dont want to embrass him and I dont wait him to slow down the other kids.
These issues are things that we are dealing with on a daily basis. What is your opinion? Should I just sign up my five year old and treat my four year to some alone time with Mom and Dad?

I have a few questions about the pirate cruise that I was hoping that someone on this thread could answer (forgive me if I'm hijacking)-

We have a trip planned for December and my two boys will be four and five at the time, my questions is my youngest has food allergies due to reflux. Because of this a few items that are included in the lunch are out for him. Will they work with me? I'm not expecting a total customized meal or even special treatment, he just can't eat the lunch and I would hate for him to miss out.

How physical are the cruise activities? I ask because my youngest also has some mobility issues as well. He is a little clumsy, for a lack of a better word. He can walk without assistance and he can move just fine, but he takes a little longer to do things than normal four year olds. I just dont want to embrass him and I dont wait him to slow down the other kids.
These issues are things that we are dealing with on a daily basis. What is your opinion? Should I just sign up my five year old and treat my four year to some alone time with Mom and Dad?
Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions. I'm sure a CM at Disney Dining could answer them. The person I spoke with knew a lot about the cruise. She was VERY helpful! I would try calling them - especially about the allergy issue. They have always been extremely helpful with any concerns I've had because on my DS's tree nut allergy. :goodvibes

Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions. I'm sure a CM at Disney Dining could answer them. The person I spoke with knew a lot about the cruise. She was VERY helpful! I would try calling them - especially about the allergy issue. They have always been extremely helpful with any concerns I've had because on my DS's tree nut allergy. :goodvibes

Thanks so much for your help. I would love to hear about your experience when you get back in June.

My DD went on by herself when she was barely 4. (4 years and 1 month) It was harder than the first day of school in alot of ways. :eek:

I am actually glad that I didn't know how to follow them! I probably would of done that. :rolleyes1 May do that this time and video some of it. We had a hard time last time getting out of her what they did exactly because of her age.

Like somone said every kid coming off that boat had the biggest smilies that you can imagine.

Come to think about I am actually kind of jealous. I think it sounds fun for me to do!!! :yay:

I am very relieved reading this thread. I have booked the pirate cruise for my 2 boys aged 6 and my youngest will be 5 on the day of the cruise.
I am very protective and get nervous at any amount of time spent away from them especially my youngest as he is more clingy.
I know they will love it so i went ahead and booked it. I have also booked the Neverland Club for them so DH and myself can have a meal together and i think they will find it a lot of fun.

But i can understand your worries. It will work out fine and the kids will have a blast. If i tell myself that everyday i might stop stressing about it.:goodvibes

Please let your kids go on it if they really want to. Don't be like my mom. She never let me do ANYTHING! I wasn't allowed to go on school trips, nothing, because she was afraid something might happen to me. Forget about letting me go on a boat without her!

I know she loved me and was doing what she thought was best, but now as an adult I'm afraid to do a lot of things. So now I'm the opposite kind of mom. If my DD, who will be 4 years and 2 months by the time we go wants to go on the cruise, we'll let her go.

I am an extremely over protective mom--my own parents have told me to loosen up. However, I let me DD and DS experience this when they just were turning 6 & 7. They had an absolute ball and I felt very comfortable watching them sail away.

I have not read the entire thread...just wanted to say...

1) I CRACKED UP at the "helicopter mom" title! I have never heard that before, but I am going to "steal" it from you and use it towards my friends who fit that decription! They are always "hovering" around!

2) My DD is an only child and did the cruise when she was 6 (almost 7) and I felt totally safe, but I am the opposite of a "helicopter mom" and kind of feel guilty about that!

3) despite this list, I am NOT the Rusty Scrupper! LOL!

So, last night I told DS5 that he may have to barter for his lunch and buy it for a few "gold" coins. He thought about it and said...
"Do you think they will let me trade my BROTHER instead?":rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter