Should all men wear wedding rings when they get married?

Should all men wear wedding rings when they get married?

• Yes

• No

• I don't care either way

• Other option~~

Results are only viewable after voting.
DH doesn't wear a wedding ring. He works in a profession where it is dangerous for him to do so. He's seen men lose fingers because they were wearing a ring. He will wear it when we go out, or on vacation.

Without reading seven pages of replies (so I apologize if this has been brought up), I think at least a tattoo on the ring finger is in order for both men and women. If they get divorced, an X can be tattoo'd over the "married" mark.

I dated for over 20 years before I got married and it would have been nice to know for sure who was married and who wasn't. :rolleyes: Honestly, I never met so many liars and truth-stretchers than when I was dating. If they'd have had some kind of mark on their finger indicating their attachment, I wouldn't even have considered going out with them. And if they're divorced, then they wouldn't mind the X mark noting their availability to date again.

Of course, serial marriages WOULD potentially take a toll on that finger. :p But it would let the new girl know that this man potentially has children he has to pay support for so she shouldn't expect any kind of lavish lifestyle from him until those kids are over 18. It would also let her know that this guy has been married X many times before and she might want to think twice before walking down the aisle with him.

A tattoo would solve the whole safety issue with men who work in dangerous jobs where they could lose a finger because of the ring.

My DH does wear his wedding band (except at work bc he's a mechanic). I love that he wears his ring, but if he didn't want to I'd be ok with that.

What other people do is up to them, but I see my DH's wedding ring as my symbol stating "property of ZephyrHawk". No, it doesn't make him any more committed, but if he's wearing it then respectable women (or men) will keep their distance. If he couldn't wear it on his finger for some reason, he'd be wearing on a chain around his neck every day, or getting it tattooed into his skin. I would do the same for him. I don't let dogs out of the house without a collar either.

:eek: My dh is NOT my property. And if he ever referred to me as his property, well, I really hop the couch is comfy cause he's gonna be there for a loooooong time.

Many years of observation leads me to believe wedding rings have little bearing on fidelity. In fact, I've seen where some are attracted to married people. I suppose it would matter if one is seeking another for potential marriage, but then it doesn't always matter, either. I think it's simply a morals issue more than a jewelry one.

My wife and I had an informal ceremony at the City Hall and we did not exchange rings. We planned on maybe having a larger reception later on but that didn't work out. We're going on six years, and I never felt the need to wear one until people would ask why don't you have one? This morning I ordered one to wear to work and other places where awkward situations might arise, but otherwise I don't think it's gonna be on my finger all the time. So, I'm someone who is actually getting a ring just to keep people off his back, and not hiding one or dodging wearing it! I really don't think, however, that all who choose not to, or refuse to, wear theirs are being duplicitous.

I've read that the ring custom is fairly modern, and has its origins in Christianity. I'm not religious. I guess I just want to follow the custom to fit into society when need be. Otherwise, I don't understand the reasoning. It's a part of human culture that I do not awe or feel beholden to. I am in control of my actions; I don't see what difference a ring makes except to people who need signposts telling them how to conduct themselves.

My husband doesn't wear his ring - he doesn't wear any jewelery except his watch. He wore it for the first couple of years but hated it and eventually asked if I'd be upset if he took it off. I'm not so insecure that it bothered me at all so he took it off. Its now in a box in his bedside cabinet along with one of the tags my DD wore when she was born (they put 2 on in case one fell off - the other is in her 'baby box') and the ID tag from our late lamented dog. He keeps reminders of all the most precious things in his life together in one place which is 'proof' enough for me! ::yes::

What other people do is up to them, but I see my DH's wedding ring as my symbol stating "propertyof ZephyrHawk". No, it doesn't make him any more committed, but if he's wearing it then respectable women (or men) will keep their distance. If he couldn't wear it on his finger for some reason, he'd be wearing on a chain around his neck every day, or getting it tattooed into his skin. I would do the same for him. I don't let dogs out of the house without a collar either.

OMG, seriously? My husband isn't my property, first of all. I don't even want a person as property. Nor do I compare him to a pet. And finally, I put a collar on my dogs in case they run away or get lost. My husband isn't a dumb animal that needs something wrapped around a body part in order to find his way home.

DH works with machinery but is proud to wear his wedding ring. I, on the other hand, worry that it could cause a problem.

Yes, I think it shows an outward sign of commitment and appreciation for their union. I wore mine for all 29 years I was married and didn't take it off until the divorce was final. Ten years later I still have an imprint on my ring finger where it sat. I know that sounds silly, but, I felt naked without it.

Now in some instances, depending on a persons occupation, it can be dangerous to wear it constantly. Many a finger has been lost to a hooked ring. Otherwise there is no reason to not wear it.

Without reading seven pages of replies (so I apologize if this has been brought up), I think at least a tattoo on the ring finger is in order for both men and women. If they get divorced, an X can be tattoo'd over the "married" mark.

I dated for over 20 years before I got married and it would have been nice to know for sure who was married and who wasn't. :rolleyes: Honestly, I never met so many liars and truth-stretchers than when I was dating. If they'd have had some kind of mark on their finger indicating their attachment, I wouldn't even have considered going out with them. And if they're divorced, then they wouldn't mind the X mark noting their availability to date again.

Of course, serial marriages WOULD potentially take a toll on that finger. :p But it would let the new girl know that this man potentially has children he has to pay support for so she shouldn't expect any kind of lavish lifestyle from him until those kids are over 18. It would also let her know that this guy has been married X many times before and she might want to think twice before walking down the aisle with him.

A tattoo would solve the whole safety issue with men who work in dangerous jobs where they could lose a finger because of the ring.

I have to believe you're joking. Was this posted on yesterday on April Fool's Day? :lmao:

Yes, I think it shows an outward sign of commitment and appreciation for their union. I wore mine for all 29 years I was married and didn't take it off until the divorce was final. Ten years later I still have an imprint on my ring finger where it sat. I know that sounds silly, but, I felt naked without it.

Now in some instances, depending on a persons occupation, it can be dangerous to wear it constantly. Many a finger has been lost to a hooked ring. Otherwise there is no reason to not wear it.

In your opinion. I really don't get why people care if other couples wear wedding rings or not.:confused3

I also don't get the idea of keeping away other women/men. if someone is married and not a cheater, what difference does it make if he has a ring on or not? If some girl tries to hit on him, all he has to do is tell her he's married. People who want to cheat will cheat whether they are wearing a ring or not.

I don't get all the judgement towards people who don't wear their wedding rings. I really couldn't care any less if you wear yours or not and I certainly don't think it means you are insecure, a cheater, or any less or more committed to your marriage than anyone else.

My husband and I don't wear our rings. We haven't for a few years now. Especially after the baby came. it was such a pain since I was always washing my hands and putting different creams on and bathing her yadda yadda yadda. I started to get chafed under the ring and then if I would take it off to do that stuff I would just forget to put it back on. Plus I lost it TWICE before and through some miracle both times it was found and I got it back but I didn't feel like testing out the third times the charm theory lol.

But really... we couldn't be more in love and committed to each other even despite the fact that we aren't wearing wedding rings. I'm very happy to be married to him and vice versa. I don't know why a silly piece of overpriced jewelry suddenly means your marriage is greater than everyone else's because YOU show it with pride. big fricken deal lol. We walk around together with our daughter... I think our solidarity as a couple is pretty clear without the rings lol

it certainly isn't some crime against humanity that some couples don't wear rings.

Heck when we got married... we eloped... quickly lol. we got the marriage license on Friday and got married on Monday. there wasn't time to find rings. None of the stock sizes fit my finger. so we got the only ring I found that would fit. A plastic silver ring with a plastic stone to resemble a diamond LOL. He wanted to be able to do the ring exchange... and we used a ring he already had lol. Later on I got an actual gold band with a couple small diamonds in it... but it wasn't the ring we exchanged or anything. so how is it that the ring matters THAT much? I do still have that plastic ring :) it is special to me of course. but I don't think I have to wear it to prove my love and loyalty and I don't feel my hubby does either.

In your opinion. I really don't get why people care if other couples wear wedding rings or not.:confused3

I also don't get the idea of keeping away other women/men. if someone is married and not a cheater, what difference does it make if he has a ring on or not? If some girl tries to hit on him, all he has to do is tell her he's married. People who want to cheat will cheat whether they are wearing a ring or not.

Of course, it was my opinion. I never said everyone needed to feel the way I did about it. It was just how I felt. Everyone else can do as they please. Of all the things that there are for me to personally worry about...whether or not someone else wears a ring is pretty much at the bottom of that list.

Why is it that people consider people stating the reasons they DO wear their rings judgemental towards those who don't?

I don't get it. I rarely wear mine, but I find it perfectly understandable that others have reasons for wearing them, just as I have reasons for not. I havent' seen anyone here calling me a cheater or a horrible person?

I almost never take mine off and Im proud to wear it.

But a ring doesnt build trust and shouldnt be a qualifier of the quality of someone's marriage.

If he doesnt want to wear it, that should be his choice. Remember that most guys I know didnt wear jewelry until they were forced to wear a watch for work and didnt wear rings, so they can be uncomfortable or even dangerous in many manual jobs.

My husband isn't a prince either, I think that pretty much the entire world knows that Prince William is taken, so Kate really don't need to worry.
My hubby wears his very proudly lol, he works for my tribe ( I am native american) and he works with lots of my relatives. I am not worried that my husband would ever go astray and everyone we work with knows that he is mine, so if for some reason my hubby couldn't wear his, I'd probably be ok with it.
But still I voted yes
PS ~ My hubby is my prince charming but not an entire countries prince LOL

My husband isn't a prince either, I think that pretty much the entire world knows that Prince William is taken, so Kate really don't need to worry.
My hubby wears his very proudly lol, he works for my tribe ( I am native american) and he works with lots of my relatives. I am not worried that my husband would ever go astray and everyone we work with knows that he is mine, so if for some reason my hubby couldn't wear his, I'd probably be ok with it.
But still I voted yes
PS ~ My hubby is my prince charming but not an entire countries prince LOL

Yea...that worked out well for Princess Di.

My husband does not. He works 7 days a week with electricity at an automotive plant. I would him rather not risk getting hurt by wearing his ring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter