Shorts?

I'm probably in the minority but we dress up every night for dinner. Our dinner attire is a big part of our cruising experience.

We do too! We love to dress up; especially DH who works from home as well as DD.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it seems like DCL could try it out - have one of the restaurants designated as truly "formal attire" on formal night and it would be open seating and you only go there if you are dressing up formally. The other restaurants are open seating for the rest of us who don't want to dress formally. Just for the one night. Then just like they enforce for Palo / Remy, they can enforce for that restaurant. And on the Magic, it could be Lumiere's and on the Wonder, Tritons as those are the places most people who try to get their dining rotation to line up a certain way try to get them for formal night. They can serve the same menu throughout the ship as they currently do. The difference would be that you might have to wait for a table, you wouldn't have "your" dining staff for those nights - but I betcha they'd find that about 1/3 of the guests for each seating would want to dress formally and fill that restaurant leaving the others open. They could do open seating like they do for "Your Time Dining" on other cruiselines for that night - open the doors at the other two from 5:30 - 9:30.

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it seems like DCL could try it out - have one of the restaurants designated as truly "formal attire" on formal night and it would be open seating and you only go there if you are dressing up formally. The other restaurants are open seating for the rest of us who don't want to dress formally. Just for the one night. Then just like they enforce for Palo / Remy, they can enforce for that restaurant. And on the Magic, it could be Lumiere's and on the Wonder, Tritons as those are the places most people who try to get their dining rotation to line up a certain way try to get them for formal night. They can serve the same menu throughout the ship as they currently do. The difference would be that you might have to wait for a table, you wouldn't have "your" dining staff for those nights - but I betcha they'd find that about 1/3 of the guests for each seating would want to dress formally and fill that restaurant leaving the others open. They could do open seating like they do for "Your Time Dining" on other cruiselines for that night - open the doors at the other two from 5:30 - 9:30.

Great idea but would not work. Here is why.

1) full ship, say 500 people assigned to each dining room each night times 2 seating. (The number 500 is representative of a full ship, just a number)

2. Say 400 people decide to dine at the formal dinner (how and when they would choose dinner, TBD). Would have to be ideintifed up front to allow for various party sizes, CM breakdown and such.

3. Then the other 1100 remaining passangers would have to fit in the 1000 other seats and know which of the MDR's to go dine in.

would be a total nightmare!

Totally understand that when they say it is formal or semi formal that you everyone to participate. Not going to happen in todays society and DCL is not going to be dress code police, nor should they be required to be. Some folks are always going to buck the system no matter what the issue. There are just those that do and resent others for calling them on it. Folks that don't want to get dressed up for formal night should IMHO decide to go to Topsider or Cabanas or choose another means of dinner. That's just the way it should be.

This could be my last post because I might get banned, but I am tired of folks that do not want to abide by the rules, but demand others to except their refusal to conform or look the other way.

DCL has the right to say that there is going to be a Formal Night on board for the MDR's. It is also our right not to go to the MDR if we choose not to dress up. There is other options on board. DCL did not garauntee us the # of nights in the MDR.

If folks that do not want formal night would not dine in the MDR on formal night it might send a message to DCL that they should cancel formal night or provide other MDR options like above. Then DCL could look at different options.

There are other ways of showing disapproval of something besides being defiance and doing the opposite. Jeans and t-shirt on formal night, really?

I am justacruiser and I approve this message.:cool1:

What happens to the people who lost their luggage and have NO choice but to attend formal night MDR in something much less "formal"? Those guests shouldn't be made to find another place to dine because their clothes aren't appropriate which is why DCL will never enforce the rule.

I am wondering how many Men would like to do away with Formal Night. I do not know very many men that would trade their blue jeans or dockers for a Tux. Many will tell their wives that they like formal night but how many really like to dress up. The only reason I like to dress up is to see the women all dressed up. I think we need a formal night where the men are required to wear Blue Jens and T-Shirt and the Women are required to wear Formal Dresses. :grouphug:

I am wondering how many Men would like to do away with Formal Night. I do not know very many men that would trade their blue jeans or dockers for a Tux.

Funny enough, I always figured formal night was actually easier for men than women. Very few wear a tux and really, how different are slacks and a dress shirt from jeans and a t-shirt? It's just a different type of pants and a slightly different shirt. I hear ties are uncomfortable, but they don't even have to be worn with a lot of dress shirts.

I guess my point is that it would be very unlikely for a man's formal night attire to include Spanx and heels. I think they get off easy! :lmao:

What happens to the people who lost their luggage and have NO choice but to attend formal night MDR in something much less "formal"? Those guests shouldn't be made to find another place to dine because their clothes aren't appropriate which is why DCL will never enforce the rule.

There are always what if's. But, IF my DW and I lost our luggage and we didn't have the appropriate clothes, I promise we would not be dining at Formal Night or Semi-Fromal night. We just wouldn't. Not our fault, but we would not feel comfortable. That is just us. Besides, I have a lot more concerns than dress clothes if my luggage was lost.

And that is not why Disney does not enforce the rule, because someone might have lost their luggage. They don't enforce the rule bacause they just don't at this time anyway.

Think of the other activities they have on the ship, if folks don't attend they will eventually go away. If folks would opt out of dining in the MDR because they don't want to dress up, DCL managment would get the hint. They used to have the desert buffet at around midnight on the longer cruises. Now, they just changed it from a buffet to some CM's walking around with a few deserts. Why? because folks didn't attend. The COULD actually make it "FORMAL DRESS OPTIONAL" night instead.

By the way, Cabanas and Topsiders dinner menu is pretty good as what I have seen, and you get a different set of wait staff for the night. Eating at either of those locations would not be a huge deal to me if I did not choose to dress up.

Justacruiser said:

1) full ship, say 500 people assigned to each dining room each night times 2 seating. (The number 500 is representative of a full ship, just a number)

2. Say 400 people decide to dine at the formal dinner (how and when they would choose dinner, TBD). Would have to be ideintifed up front to allow for various party sizes, CM breakdown and such.

3. Then the other 1100 remaining passangers would have to fit in the 1000 other seats and know which of the MDR's to go dine in.

Totally understand that when they say it is formal or semi formal that you everyone to participate. Not going to happen in todays society and DCL is not going to be dress code police, nor should they be required to be. Some folks are always going to buck the system no matter what the issue. There are just those that do and resent others for calling them on it. Folks that don't want to get dressed up for formal night should IMHO decide to go to Topsider or Cabanas or choose another means of dinner. That's just the way it should be.

This could be my last post because I might get banned, but I am tired of folks that do not want to abide by the rules, but demand others to except their refusal to conform or look the other way.

DCL has the right to say that there is going to be a Formal Night on board for the MDR's. It is also our right not to go to the MDR if we choose not to dress up. There is other options on board. DCL did not garauntee us the # of nights in the MDR.

If folks that do not want formal night would not dine in the MDR on formal night it might send a message to DCL that they should cancel formal night or provide other MDR options like above. Then DCL could look at different options.

There are other ways of showing disapproval of something besides being defiance and doing the opposite. Jeans and t-shirt on formal night, really?

You are correct, DCL has the right to recommend formal attire for a particular night, however, until DCL enforces their "guidelines" this topic will be debated ad nauseam on DIS.

If everyone would spend the energy waisted on concerning themselves about what everyone else is wearing on having fun and focusing on their own family, I suspect their cruise will be much more enjoyable.

I generally prefer people to dress appropriately for dinner. However, I also prefer that people don't make the ship look trashy with door magnets and "fish extenders."

In either case, I do not let other's choices ruin my vacation and I am content that guests can do as they wish. In fact, I find it quite enjoyable to people watch on dress like a hooker (I mean pirate) night.

You are correct, DCL has the right to recommend formal attire for a particular night, however, until DCL enforces their "guidelines" this topic will be debated ad nauseam on DIS.

If everyone would spend the energy waisted on concerning themselves about what everyone else is wearing on having fun and focusing on their own family, I suspect their cruise will be much more enjoyable.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Couldn't agree more! :)

I do not know very many men that would trade their blue jeans or dockers for a Tux.

I know you don't know him, but my husband would. He LOVES dressing up. He misses going to an office everyday, where the other guys wore khakis and polo shirts to work (totally acceptable) and he wore starched shirts, ties and dress pants. He often out dresses me!! My brother is the same way - he's an EMT-FF and loves to dress up. I guess they are in the minority?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am wondering how many Men would like to do away with Formal Night. I do not know very many men that would trade their blue jeans or dockers for a Tux. Many will tell their wives that they like formal night but how many really like to dress up. The only reason I like to dress up is to see the women all dressed up. I think we need a formal night where the men are required to wear Blue Jens and T-Shirt and the Women are required to wear Formal Dresses. :grouphug:

I will trade my Dockers for my tux any day.:thumbsup2

There are always what if's. But, IF my DW and I lost our luggage and we didn't have the appropriate clothes, I promise we would not be dining at Formal Night or Semi-Fromal night. We just wouldn't. Not our fault, but we would not feel comfortable. That is just us. Besides, I have a lot more concerns than dress clothes if my luggage was lost.

And that is not why Disney does not enforce the rule, because someone might have lost their luggage. They don't enforce the rule bacause they just don't at this time anyway.

Think of the other activities they have on the ship, if folks don't attend they will eventually go away. If folks would opt out of dining in the MDR because they don't want to dress up, DCL managment would get the hint. They used to have the desert buffet at around midnight on the longer cruises. Now, they just changed it from a buffet to some CM's walking around with a few deserts. Why? because folks didn't attend. The COULD actually make it "FORMAL DRESS OPTIONAL" night instead.

By the way, Cabanas and Topsiders dinner menu is pretty good as what I have seen, and you get a different set of wait staff for the night. Eating at either of those locations would not be a huge deal to me if I did not choose to dress up.

I was actually saying that was ONE of the reasons not THE reason.

And honestly, I shouldn't even make assumptions on their reasoning.

What i do know is that we actually lost every single piece of our luggage on the Med 07 and we dined right in the middle of the MDR in clothes we bought in Spain. We also didn't feel bad.

I also would have been very upset with Disney if they said that I couldn't eat in the MDR on formal night after I spent $$$$$$ on a cruise. Of course they didn't and DCL went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.

I know they do pay attention to the comment cards and I expect to see some changes in dining offerings in the next few years. The current issue is that there are no other options besides Topsiders for formal night dinner besides room service - why should you be forced to room service / Topsiders(Cabanas) if you don't want to dress formally? I think they could gather enough guest preference / behavior info to be able to test it out and see if having formal night be a thing for those who want to participate while those who don't aren't made to feel as if they are banished to the pool deck for dinner would work.

By having an open-seating arrangement, the 1,100 people in your example can come and go during the hours of operation rather than at two "seatings" - much like Topsiders is open for specific hours and you come in and go at will. This is similar to how the Your Time Dining works on other lines - they may have official seating at 6:00 and 8:30 but the YTD is from 5:30 - 9:30. Some people take longer than others, but some folks are in and out in under 45 minutes. And you factor in that some of those 1,100 aren't going to go to the MDR anyway, but if they do, they could still be accommodated. Seating could be handled like they do for breakfast and lunch where they just put you wherever is available to accomodate your party size, with or without other guests.

And here's what else I think - I think that when people are on board, they don't spend much time AT ALL thinking about what the other people are wearing - it's when we're all home and online that we have time to think about it and express our opinions - approval, disapproval, OMG can you believe what they wore?!

I know they do pay attention to the comment cards and I expect to see some changes in dining offerings in the next few years. The current issue is that there are no other options besides Topsiders for formal night dinner besides room service - why should you be forced to room service / Topsiders(Cabanas) if you don't want to dress formally? I think they could gather enough guest preference / behavior info to be able to test it out and see if having formal night be a thing for those who want to participate while those who don't aren't made to feel as if they are banished to the pool deck for dinner would work.

By having an open-seating arrangement, the 1,100 people in your example can come and go during the hours of operation rather than at two "seatings" - much like Topsiders is open for specific hours and you come in and go at will. This is similar to how the Your Time Dining works on other lines - they may have official seating at 6:00 and 8:30 but the YTD is from 5:30 - 9:30. Some people take longer than others, but some folks are in and out in under 45 minutes. And you factor in that some of those 1,100 aren't going to go to the MDR anyway, but if they do, they could still be accommodated. Seating could be handled like they do for breakfast and lunch where they just put you wherever is available to accomodate your party size, with or without other guests.

And here's what else I think - I think that when people are on board, they don't spend much time AT ALL thinking about what the other people are wearing - it's when we're all home and online that we have time to think about it and express our opinions - approval, disapproval, OMG can you believe what they wore?!

Cindy,

I understand your comments, I think the change can be immediate and say "FORMAL DRESS (OPTIONAL). That gives the option but doesn't force the issue. Would probably have much the same outcome as current policy.

MY example that you used above is actually about 2,200 folks because of the two dinner rotations. You have to excuse me but I am really a numbers cruncher and a quality improvement/process improvement guy. I enjoy looking at things like this.

One of the best things that DCL does is their start times for dinners. If you notice, you dinner servers bring as many courses out as possible and tries to keep everyone at the same pace. Not all of the time, but most of the times. Remember, we see all of the towers of plates coming at us for the majority of the tables they have assigned. The only reason they generally don't bring all the tables together is that they identify gaps when different tables are faster than others. Generally that happens as they get to know you and your table mates.

By offering 2,200 people the option to come and go as they please won't work right now just because of the uncertainty of when everyone would desire to eat. Now, if you keep everyone in their same time, give them option of your 1 MDR Formal Night, it could work. But just how many people choose formal over casual is not a fixed number. They would have a hard time, and we won't stand behind 50-100 folks waiting for a table without placing the complaint on the comment card.

No, after all of this thread, I would just recommend the word "OPTIONAL" after the words "FORMAL"and "SEMI-FORMAL". they also should enforce any other rules they have in the dining room, such as, "NO SHORTS" or eliminate the rule completely. That's part of the reason for the discussion. If they allowed anything and everything, this thread would not be here. It is because this rule is there, uninforced that creates the drama.

And by the way, I don't care what any of you are dressing in when eating in the MDR. I am too busy eating my food.:)

Great thread everyone.

GoofyTwinDad said:

I gotta agree with this. Yes, like others, I like to dress up for dinner. But clearly, others don't. And whatev. That really has no impact on me and life's too short (uh, no pun intended) to worry about it. I'm in vacation, man!

Yes, it's Disney's official policy, but if they wanted to enforce it, they could. My understanding is that other cruiselines have no problem enforcing similar type rules so if Disney felt strongly about it, they would do it. They certainly have no qualms enforcing other rules they feel strongly about.

Also seems to be a lot of talk about how it's a privilege to be on the ship and we need to respect Disney's wishes (that, again, they don't seem to care much about). Just want to point out that we're all paying thousands of dollars to be on the ship so it's not like we're getting this grand experience for nothing. Now, that doesn't grant us rights to be entitled buttmunches and infringe on each other's vacations or destroy the ship, but, really, someone wearing nice shorts and a collared shirt isn't going to do that. And Disney's not going to pack up its ball and go home if people wear shorts to dinner.

If you want to follow Disney's rules to a T, good on you. Respect; you're going to be stylin' and profilin'. But in this particular instance, I'm not sure it's with getting all indignant if other people don't.

I am now totally confused. Does the 4 night bohemian Wonder cruise even have a formal night? We have "dress clothes" but, not formal clothes all ready to go (we leave on May 2) Should I be packing formal attire?
Thanks!

I am now totally confused. Does the 4 night bohemian Wonder cruise even have a formal night? We have "dress clothes" but, not formal clothes all ready to go (we leave on May 2) Should I be packing formal attire?
Thanks!

it will be a Dress up Optional night.

it will be a Semi-Formal Optional night.

See I think the 'optional' dress up days are the E-ticket (for you older WDW fans)! Clearly some like to dress up and other don't. I do not. I would much prefer to be in shorts and tee shirts 24/7.....however, as I sit here in my office, I have 2 8x10 glossy photos on my wall of the 4 Rogillio's dressed in our finest Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes looking sharp! If not for the "code" (and it's not really a code, more of a guideline) we would have only the tee-shirt and shorts boarding photos.

It's funny that people have no issues with shorts at WDW's best restaurants.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I so rarely have an occasion to wear my tux these days, that I look forward to pulling it out of the closet whenever possible. Judging by how few men were wearing tuxes on our last Formal Night, I realize I'm in the minority on this.

To me, formal night = tuxedo and semi-formal night (and Palo/Remy) = suit and tie, and I would feel uncomfortable dressing more casually than that. I understand that not every man owns their own tux and if I didn't, I would most likely just put on a black suit, white shirt and black tie combo, rather than pay money to rent someone else's clothes.

My personal philosophy is that I would rather be overdressed than underdressed - if you're underdressed, it appears as if you just don't care, and if you're overdressed, people will just assume that you have some place better to go afterwards. But once again, that's just me...

Question for the "significant others" on this thread - which would give you the bigger thrill? Being accompanied to dinner by a husband/boyfriend who is wearing jeans and t-shirt or one who is wearing a tux/suit. I know that the temptation is to say "I love them for who they are, not what they are wearing", but that's not what I'm asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter