• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shorts to dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly did not mean to slam OP or anyone else by my statement - that's just me and my family. That doesn't mean someone else shouldn't get to wear shorts (or jeans, or toga :) ). The way I look at it we are guests, even if we are paying. If we used the "But I'm paying a premium..." line of thought, then people who won cruises or were comped should have to follow the rules more than those staying concierge. The people in concierge are paying a higher premium, so should get to wear what they want, right? (I'm sure that's not what was meant, but there are some very literal people on this board, and I can see them heading that route.)

As far as kids, I think they can pull off the shorts and collared shirt outfit and look way cute. I really never noticed what people wore during our cruise, until my 8 year old began pointing each one out..."But Mom, he's wearing shorts, and he's a grown-up!" Believe me, I certainly wouldn't let what people wear ruin my vacation.

On second thought, there was the one fuzzy bear Speedo guy, but that's a different thread...

But in all seriousness, I don't see anyone posting who says "You should..." or "You should never..." Posts are more often, "This is our experience..." or "Our family likes to..." So please don't take this board too seriously. If someone sounds preachy, they probably didn't mean it that way. And even if they did, who cares? Keep reading. Someone else might be nicer and agree with you!

What upsets me is not that other people have a different opinion, but that people can't just answer the question without giving their opinions. Obviously no one is ever going to agree. There should be a standard statement of "DCL says no shorts, but many report wearing them and not being asked to leave the dining room".

If you look at the first few posts, that's exactly what they say.

What cracks me up is after lurking for many many years, I've noticed that the heated arguments all repeat themselves. Tipping, dress code, saving seats, saving deck chairs, BYOB, enforcement of the 18+ areas, ... Am I missing any?

We know from 10+ years of experience on these boards that people hold strong opinions on these topics, yet the arguments get rehashed over and over. What's even better is that rehashing them yields no change to the situation... DCL is going to do what its going to do... Enforce policies, not enforce policies, keep things the way they are, change things, etc. Makes me wonder why the posters with the high post counts continue to get worked up...

What cracks me up is after lurking for many many years, I've noticed that the heated arguments all repeat themselves. Tipping, dress code, saving seats, saving deck chairs, BYOB, enforcement of the 18+ areas, ... Am I missing any?

We know from 10+ years of experience on these boards that people hold strong opinions on these topics, yet the arguments get rehashed over and over. What's even better is that rehashing them yields no change to the situation... DCL is going to do what its going to do... Enforce policies, not enforce policies, keep things the way they are, change things, etc. Makes me wonder why the posters with the high post counts continue to get worked up...

Yes, the first few posts do say that, however, that was 4 pages ago. And I'm a newbie, so that is my excuse:guilty:

Yes, the first few posts do say that, however, that was 4 pages ago. And I'm a newbie, so that is my excuse:guilty:

No offense intended. It doesn't appear that anyone has come up with a way to prevent the rehash on this stuff.

These boards are a wealth of information, and it is cool how many people truly love the DCL product. These kind of threads just make me chuckle in their similarity to each other.

Nice recovery gang!!! Glad to see it has calmed down a bit.

Discussion can continue as long as people are not rude, snarky, etc. Anyone who has been on these boards for any length of time knows what topic cause strong reactions. As mentioned above, no amount of back and forth will change anything. People will do and wear what they want onboard.

Let's just keep it civil. Thanks.

MJ

I have a serious question...

How are the non DISBoards/Cruise Critic type guests (who are the majority) notified about the dress codes? I booked my cruise on DCL's website and haven't seen anything about dress code or formal night (at least, nothing obvious). The only reason I know about it is from reading threads like these. We aren't planning to go to Palo or Remy so I never imagined I'd need "nice."

My thinking is that when the average family starts packing for their Disney vacation, they pack Disney vacation clothes- shorts and Tshirts. Having things posted around the ship about dress code is a little late, it's not like people can go out and get dressier clothes at that point.

Again, not being snarky at all I am just really wondering how people are expected to know about the requested attire.

I can't believe I'm about to get involved in this thread but here it is anyway. First, let me say that I'm a big rule follower (just ask my DD who can't wear flip-flops to school). However, this guideline/rule/suggestion doesn't seem to be written particularly well and, according to what I've seen and others have reported, doesn't seem to be enforced. Since DCL has no trouble enforcing the policies at Remy/Palo, it leads me to believe that there is an intent behind this policy that needs to be considered. Looking at the list of items on the "banned" list, it seems to me that what they are trying to ask (and actually enforcing) is that you not show up in the MDRs looking like you just came from the pool/sauna/workout facility. This would explain why jeans are not on the list and why you might get an answer that shorts are okay if you call DCL. I know there are ways I could dress my family that would technically meet the dress code and look terrible and then ways I could dress that seem to be against this dress code and they would look much better. Just my two cents.

*Let me add that I tip over the recommended amount, don't pool hop, and only use my mug at my home resort.

I am not going to read through the whole heated debate, But just wanted to throw in my thoughts, as we just got off the Dream less than a week ago. I was stressing weeks before about dress code, and made sure that everyone in our family adhered to the guidelines. I was SHOCKED to see that we actually looked out of place so dressed up....it seemed more people did not follow the guidelines than those that did. It was so casual that those of us that did dress up according to the rules were actually the minority.

Take it fwiw, but for us, rules are rules....and I'll still dress my family the same regardless if we look "out of place" because everyone else didn't listen. But just know it seemed we were more the exception than the rule, which was a shame.

Kind of going along with Pwac and mookie, we first started cruising with DCL when DS was 4ish. We asked on here about MDR attire and were told dressy shorts and polos. He wore khakis and button downs for semi-formal and formal nights. We continued that while he was younger. Now that he is 8, we have joked that the shorts are gone and that we will have to find him another pair of dress pants. Unfortunately, he outgrows them too quickly and currently only has one pair. On our upcoming cruise, he will wear dress pants every night. He may not like it, but he will be in the recommended attire.

Personally, what other people wear does not impact my meal. I would hazard a guess that DCL doesn't want guests coming to dinner that look like they have thrown on a pair of cut-offs over a swimsuit with a t-shirt, are wearing workout attire, or are wearing whatever they've rolled out of bed wearing. Those things are what they mean by shorts. OT, I have seen people turned away on RCI for breakfast in the MDR.

I have a serious question...

How are the non DISBoards/Cruise Critic type guests (who are the majority) notified about the dress codes? I booked my cruise on DCL's website and haven't seen anything about dress code or formal night (at least, nothing obvious). The only reason I know about it is from reading threads like these. We aren't planning to go to Palo or Remy so I never imagined I'd need "nice."

My thinking is that when the average family starts packing for their Disney vacation, they pack Disney vacation clothes- shorts and Tshirts. Having things posted around the ship about dress code is a little late, it's not like people can go out and get dressier clothes at that point.

Again, not being snarky at all I am just really wondering how people are expected to know about the requested attire.

In your documents that you will receive in the mail it will list what each night's dining theme will be and will mention the requested dress code. Also, if you read about each restaurant on DCL's website it will be stated there as well.
I went on my first DCL cruise in 1999, a 4 night, and knew that I had to dress up at least 2 nights of the cruise since my parents had cruised on other lines before and told us we needed nice clothes. Back then, on the 4 nigh cruise they had a formal and a semi-formal night and the other 2 nights were cruise causual and jeans were not allowed in the dining rooms just like the other items still mentioned on DCL's website now. For us, we just new that on cruises you dressed up each night for dinner since that was the industry standard. DCL has greatly relaxed their dress code requests/suggestions over the years.

Hopefully this will answer your question some.

As I said in my original post, I (and my family) will follow the dress code because it works for us. We prefer to wear what is considered acceptable, but could care less how others choose to spend their vacation. What upsets me is not that other people have a different opinion, but that people can't just answer the question without giving their opinions. Obviously no one is ever going to agree. There should be a standard statement of "DCL says no shorts, but many report wearing them and not being asked to leave the dining room".

I agree, especially with the bolded statement. I had no idea this was such a sensitive topic for so many. I was a bit surprised to find that if you held the opinion that shorts were probably fine (especially for a little boy) on a Disney Cruise, you apparently are then viewed as a rule breakin', Jersey Shore lovin' low life. :eek: Does come across as a bit judgemental. :rolleyes2

Personally..it's my husband and myself. LIke you, I don't have a problem with packing him a couple of pairs of pants. However, being a family of five I can also relate to some families who would like to cut down on what they're packing so as not to incur additonal baggage fees these days.

I suppose this very same conversation can be had regarding whether to "dress" for church on Sundays, or whether to dress when you go to a Broadway show. Being over 50...I've lived both sides of it. Each has a different perspective, and in my opinion, neither of which are wrong.
Those with the "official rule book", will state otherwise. :laughing:

Definetely one of those "agree to disagree" topics::yes::

DCL is so very helpful for those who wish to dress other than the guidelines. Want to eat in shorts and t-shirts? Absolutely - Cabanas (or the equivalent topside buffet) is there. Want to eat in your swimsuit? Not a problem - counter service serves pretty good food at several locations near the pools. Want to eat in your pajamas? You are welcome to, room service has a lot of delicious main courses and snacks. Want to eat formally in a very elegant atmosphere? You bet - Palo or Remy.

So, don't worry about it. If you don't want to follow Disney's MDR dress guidelines, there are plenty of excellent alternative dining possibilities and you can pick to wear anything your heart desires.

I am going to get pulled in to this as well. Personal I try to follows the rules. If the suggestion is no shorts then you should respect that request as most do. We have the same issue at the club I belong regarding the wearing of jeans. They are not allowed, the difference is it is enforced where DCL does not enforce the policy. I was on one 10 day cruise and the couple at the next table wore the same sweat pants and sweat shirt every night. I think if you can afford a 10 Med Cruise you must have something to wear to dinner.

In one post someone was unaware how to dress until they got on the ship. Wedding invitations do not state what the dress code is and the majority of people come dressed for the occasion so I am not sure that is a good argument.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, people have become accustom to casual dress. As posted earlier, casual Friday became the casual Thursday because we had off on Friday. Then casual was just normal, Dockers became dress pants.

Dressing up is uncomfortable for a lot of people. I will be the first to admit, after some my longer cruises, I feel uncomfortable in all my pants and would like to wear something that stretches.

I enjoy dressing up and wearing appropriate outfits that are appropriate for the occasion. Appropriate has become a gray area. I was brought up some time ago with parents that always dressed sharply. When I started my career you would not think of going to the office without a shirt and tie. That has changes significantly.

I still dress in a tux for formal night because I have one and it is the only time I get to wear it, but I must admit I have felt out of place the last few years because so few guests were them, and there are many, and it is growing, that do not dress up at all. I believe DCL will eventually do away with Formal Night. It will be replaced by some theme night.

I shared my observation with the crew the last few times on the cruise, more guests dress up for Pirates Night pirate: than for formal night. Dressing up for that night is good fun and makes a good theme night. I was also on for a Halloween cruise and the costumes were amazing. I feel if guests can bring the appropriate dress for theme nights they can bring some nice slacks and a dress shirt for dinner.

Well that is my say on this and like it has been stated, we will debate this forever and it will not change until DCL stops recommending a dress code.

The "no shorts" in the main dining rooms is requested, not required. Only Palo and Remy will send you back to change if you show up in shorts. Whether or not you want to follow DCL's request regarding the main dining rooms is up to you.

smoking, don't forget smoking, lol.
i went to bed last night with the thought that this thread would be dead by the time i got up. didn't happen and its still going on and on and on.
lets all agree to disagree. until dcl actually turns people away it is a non issue. nothing me, you, they, can do till this happens. its enforced for palo and remy so obviously dcl does not feel its a problem in the main dining rooms cause they don't say a word. even if you wear something i don't think is appropriate i can't turn you away, only the staff can and they aren't. guess it comes down to this.....
whatever you wear, your welcome at my table. :hug:

How many dress up nights would there typically be for a 5-day cruise? There is still the non-dressy buffet, right? I got second seating and with 2 little kids I figured we would not be making dinner very often. I was thinking about skipping "nice" outfits altogether for the boys. Thoughts?

How many dress up nights would there typically be for a 5-day cruise? There is still the non-dressy buffet, right? I got second seating and with 2 little kids I figured we would not be making dinner very often. I was thinking about skipping "nice" outfits altogether for the boys. Thoughts?

While less "dressy" the buffet for dinner is a sit-down table service.

:cutie:

Requested

ask politely for something: to ask formally or courteously for something to be given or done
"It is requested that you do not wear shorts to dinner "

act of expressing wish: the act of asking or petitioning for something to be done or given

expression of polite wish: an act of politely or formally asking that something be done or given

Required

necessary: necessary or appropriate for a specific purpose
"He will not be allowed in the dining room if he wears shorts."

compulsory: insisted upon or imposed as a condition
"If you wear shorts to dinner you will be thrown overboard"

This could be the reason. I think if you required it people would still push it bcause it will not be enforce, I have been told they will not do it in the dinning room. Palo has a much smaller group to deal with, but my last vist to palo I did see a guest dressed that would not have been allowed in if PJ was still there.

:dance3:

The "no shorts" in the main dining rooms is requested, not required. Only Palo and Remy will send you back to change if you show up in shorts. Whether or not you want to follow DCL's request regarding the main dining rooms is up to you.

:surfweb: Well, don't you make it sound simple. Oh wait..that's because it is! :laughing:

Like many other posters, I have not been involved in the "shorts at dinner" threads before.

We were first-time cruisers in August of 2011 on the 3-night Dream. I read all the threads regarding shorts and the info we received from Disney and just figured the boys should wear pants to dinner. So I told the boys (ages 5, 11 and 12) that on the cruise, they'd wear khaki pants and polo shirts to dinner. Our two older boys said, "bummer" when I first told them, and then I didn't hear about it again. On the cruise, they just got dressed for dinner, and that was it. By the time we were on the ship, they didn't care what they were wearing to dinner, or what anyone else was wearing to dinner.

On the cruise, I can tell you that I have NO IDEA whether other guests wore shorts, pants or anything else. It had zero impact on our cruise.

This year, we're sailing to Alaska, and I'm packing khakis and polos for the boys, and then black pants and button down dress shirts for formal night. But honestly, it really doesn't matter to me what other guests wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter