Short-term CAD trends?

nervous1sttimer

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Orlando for 8-days at the end of January. This will be our first trip without DDP (which I am happy about - I think we have way overpaid in the past and ended up with a ton of waste on the DDP, but that's a whole other thread).

Because we will be paying OOP for all our meals, I am planning to bring a lot more cash than usual. Probably $1000-1500. I am wondering when to buy the USD. Our dollar dipped again today, but still hanging on around $.75. Is it better to buy now? Buy a couple hundred every week between now and then? Wait and see if gets better by mid-January, on the assumption that it probably won't go much lower than where it is now?

They're predicting it to drop down to $0.71 by January and to stay there for awhile but they also said the dollar was going to plummet if Trudeau was elected and it's been fairly steady. My husband and I are going to slowly start exchanging money and if the dollar begins to drop we'll stop and see what happens. It's up to you in the end though.

Our plan is too buy some money every week, I too have heard it's going to dip a lot so best to get it cheaper while you can.

Just rip off the bandaid and buy it all now. That way you can stop obsessing over the dollar. I bought $1000 American a few weeks ago. It felt good just to be done with it.

Just rip off the bandaid and buy it all now. That way you can stop obsessing over the dollar. I bought $1000 American a few weeks ago. It felt good just to be done with it.

I wish I could buy a bunch now but I have to save up or I would...we don't have cc so right now with Xmas we pay for everything in cash(sigh) I need to win the lottery

The dollar is not going to improve any time soon. I have a USD account with my bank and every pay check I transfer some money into the account. Anytime I have extra money that also goes into my USD account.

A friend of mine transfers money every pay day as well but she also transfers the amount on the bottom of her grocery bill that says how much you saved on that purchase. She price matches and uses any coupons she can find. Often she can add an extra $20-30/week.

I prefer to not take much cash and use credit card when in the US b/c I am so nervous I would lose cash.
I really want to buy some US $ ahead of time but don't you get nervous carrying too much down with you?

I prefer to not take much cash and use credit card when in the US b/c I am so nervous I would lose cash.
I really want to buy some US $ ahead of time but don't you get nervous carrying too much down with you?

Never had an issue carrying cash. We usually split it up between us and also leave some in the safe in the room.

For WDW you could purchase a gift card when you first arrive, if that would feel any better for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter