• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

short & sweet september reviews / UPDATE: EPCOT F&W snacks

rustyanchor

Mouseketeer
so, i've just returned from disney and i wanted to post some dining reviews, but we didn't have that many ADRs on this trip (only 'ohana dinner & tusker house lunch, then spent the rest of our time dining at counter service places and gorging ourselves at food & wine). i decided to only do a couple of reviews: tusker house lunch and snacks from food & wine. my boyfriend & i usually go to disney by ourselves, but this time we went with four of our friends (six for part of the trip) and had a great time.

first up:

TUSKER HOUSE lunch

this was our first time dining at tusker house. i'd been wanting to try it for awhile. my friends who came with us are not the biggest disney fans or anything, so i think they were kinda "meh" on the idea of a character meal, but everyone seemed to have a good time posing w/donald for our pic after we first checked in. after our picture, we had to sit and wait for a little while, maybe 15-20 minutes, before being seated.

our waiter came to our table pretty quickly to take our drink orders and we were all off sprinting to the buffet.

my friends decided to start on the far right side of the buffet, which is more of a meat/entree section, or so it seemed, and i started on the left side with the breads, hummus, salads, etc. i am serious about my disney buffets: first i made a small bread plate, ran it back to the table, then came back to make a regular plate. then i was back at the table eating before any of my friends had even sat down. ha.

here are my first 2 plates:

r48v.jpg

bread plate- clockwise from bottom, pita bread, cornbread, mealie cornbread, 2 different kinds of preserves/sambal, mango chutney, tabouleh, hummus.
my favorites were the mealie cornbread dipped in the preserves (they were a bit spicy), and the hummus. i liked the hummus better than boma's. it's probably the same thing, but it tasted different to me. :confused3
i kept my bread plate to the side and nibbled off of it during my whole meal.

x1da.jpg

entree plate #1-clockwise from bottom, couscous & vegetable salad, apple, endive, & walnut salad w/blue cheese, cucumber & tomato salad w/mint yogurt dressing, roasted root vegetables, spiced vegetable tofu, pearl couscous, jollof rice, cape malay curry chicken, basmati rice.
my favorite off this plate was definitely the couscous salad. i also enjoyed the curry chicken and cucumber salad. my friends and especially my boyfriend REALLY liked the jollof rice. i thought it was okay, but i don't think i even finished mine.

i forgot to get a pic of my second entree plate. :( i think it's because one of my friends came up while i was getting my food and said that the characters were coming around and that i had already missed mickey! so i rushed back the table in time to meet goofy. i had missed all the rest of the characters. a cast member came to our table to see if we had gotten all the pics we wanted, and when i said i had been gone when mickey came by, he told me to find him after we finished eating & he'd help me get a pic. sooo i was a little happier then. i remember that my favorite thing on the 2nd plate was by far the vegetable samosas w/the mango chutney. i think i ate like 3 of them and probably could have eaten more! they are little pastry triangle things stuffed with potatoes and peas. so yummy. i also tried the coffee rubbed pork loin and spicy mustard which was very good, and the sirloin with horseradish cream which was pretty tasty as well, but i preferred the pork. i realized after i finished eating that i somehow missed the plantains, which i was sad about... but i wanted to save room for dessert anyway.

y39h.jpg

dessert plate- last but definitely not least, my dessert plate! i LOVED the desserts here, in fact i preferred them to boma, whose desserts i found to be good-looking but quite bland. here we have, clockwise from bottom, carrot spice cake, some kind of choc chip/pecan bar, passion fruit tart, banana-cinnamon bread pudding w/warm vanilla sauce, coconut macaroons (partially covered), strawberry mousse, and baklava. WHEW! okay, so first of all, my dessert plate is the only one that i completely finished. :blush: to make matters worse, most of my friends didn't get dessert at all, or if they did it was just a couple items thrown onto their regular plate. but anyway... my favorite things here were probably the bite-sized coconut macaroons, which were chocolate-drizzled and topped w/cherries, so delicious and cute; the carrot spice cake, very tasty; the little chocolate/pecan bar thing, which was kinda chewy; the bread pudding, because i love all bread pudding, and c'mon, WARM vanilla sauce; and the strawberry mousse, which was light, sweet, and served in an adorable edible dark chocolate cup.

so, all in all, i REALLY enjoyed tusker house and hope to eat here again sometime in the future. i would give it a 4/5 as far as disney table service restaurants go. oh, and when we finished eating, a cast member helped me & my boyfriend get a pic with mickey. :) after we left tusker house we stopped at dawa bar for drinks... but i forgot to take pics. :(

coming up next...

EPCOT FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL snacks!

here we go with...

EPCOT FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL snacks!
presented in no particular order...

MEXICO
Untitled1.jpg

shrimp taco w/ purple cabbage - $5.50
sangria – $6.75
this was the first thing i tried, and it got the f&w snacking off to a great start. i really liked the taco, the shrimp & cabbage tasted fresh and the avocado sauce was very good. the sangria was delicious and i thought it was actually a good deal, since it was more than i ever get when i order a glass in a restaurant. it tasted pretty strong and was a perfect complement to the shrimp taco.

GREECE
Untitled2.jpg

griddled greek cheese w/ pistachios & honey - $3.50
this is one of the things i was most wanting to try at f&w, and i wasn't disappointed! i basically already knew i would enjoy this because i LOVE cheese. this was a very simple but tasty snack. it was hard to eat with a fork so i ended up picking it up with my hands which made for a sticky mess… but it was worth it. i bought 2 of these so that i didn't have to share with my boyfriend. :)

MOROCCO
Untitled3.jpg

harissa chicken roll - $4.95
well, this was a bit of a disappointment for me because it didn't taste like what i expected at all. my boyfriend said it tasted like a southwestern egg roll, and i agreed with him. it had more of a tex-mex flavor than my idea of a moroccan one. it wasn't terrible, but i only had about 2 bites. i ended up wishing i had just eaten at tangierine cafe instead (which, i actually did go in to get a side of couscous salad & a diet coke while we were sitting at one of their outside tables).

HOPS & BARLEY
Untitled4.jpg

craisin® bread pudding w/ grand marnier anglaise - $3.25
originally i wanted to try the lobster roll at this booth, but while we were in line the seafood smell wasn't sitting well with me, so i changed my mind and decided to go for dessert only. the bread pudding was pretty good. the citrusy glaze went well with the craisins. after the fact i am wishing i had tried to lobster roll too, though, since i have heard such good things about it. oh well.

BRAZIL
Untitled5.jpg

crispy pork belly w/ black beans, onions, avocado & cilantro - $5.25
carnaval moscato white (NOT PICTURED) – $3.00
so my boyfriend was totally DYING to try the pork belly from the time he first read about it on the f&w menu. he loved it and i think all of our friends did, too. i liked it a lot, but i think i actually liked the black beans the best. for those who haven't tried pork belly before (i hadn't before this), it is the uncured form of bacon, so there is a lot of fat. i ended up cutting quite a bit of fat off of mine and giving it to my BF. when he was in line, he said the woman in front of him was asking for her pork belly with no fat, and they were trying to explain to her why that wouldn't be possible. :laughing: but anyway, this was good and i loved my wine as well. of course i forgot to take a pic... it was a sparkling moscato and wasn't TOO sweet like they can be. it was served in one of the tall glasses, so i didn't think $3 was bad at all.

we tried a lot of other things that i didn't photograph. :( i guess between trying to keep up with a group of 6, waiting in lines in the heat, fighting the crowds, and trying to find spots to sit, taking pictures wasn't as easy as i thought it would be. a lot of times i'd be holding 2 or 3 snacks plus a drink in my hands at one time. but here are some of the things i tried, without photos:

(AFRICA)
spinach & paneer cheese pocket - $3.50

i didn't like this at all! it was HUGE, but just didn't have the flavor that i was expecting or wanting. i gave it to one of my friends who thoroughly enjoyed it, though, so there you go. it really was big and was like an african hot pocket or something.

(CANADA)
“le cellier” wild mushroom beef filet mignon w/ truffle butter sauce - $7.00
la face neige apple ice wine – $5.75

the filet was nowhere near as good as what you get in the restaurant, which i guess is to be expected, but it was okay. i was disappointed because mine had hardly any truffle sauce. the ice wine was nice to try but was VERY sweet.

(CHEESE)
almond crusted blue cheese soufflé w/ fig jam - $3.25
artisan cheese selection: flagship reserve cheddar, la bonne vie triple crème brie, wijngaard goats gouda - $4.75
once upon a vine’s the lost slipper sauvignon blanc – $2.50

the blue cheese soufflé was a disappointment for me because i felt that the description was misleading- it wasn't almond crusted, there were just almonds in the soufflé itself. so it was basically mushy overall. the flavor was good but it was actually pretty big, so the blue cheese got overwhelming after awhile and i tossed it after i ran out of fig jam.
the artisan cheese selection was a good deal, i think. it was supposed to come with craisin bread, honey, and apricot jam, but they were out of bread so i didn't get any. i liked all the cheeses except for the cheddar, it was flavorless.
the wine was good, because WINE.

(CHINA)
kung fu punch w/ vodka – $8.00
this drink was very tasty and refreshing, fruity but not heavy on the sweetness. i think it's kind of dangerous because it didn't taste like it had much alcohol at all, but it totally did. it reminded me of drinking hunch punch in college.

(GERMANY)
schinken nudel (pasta gratin w/ ham & cheese) - $3.25
this was okay but basically just tasted like standard mac & cheese with some ham thrown in. i wasn't wowed by any means, and by this point in the day i wasn't wanting anything heavy, so i had a bite or two then let my BF eat the rest. my friends liked it.

(POLAND)
kielbasa & potato pierogie w/ caramelized onions & sour cream - $5.25
zapiekanki (toasted mushroom, caramelized onion & cheese bread w/ house-made ketchup) - $3.00
the pierogie was tasty and so were the kielbasa slices on the side. i wanted to like the zapiekanki, but it just didn't do it for me. the bread actually tasted kinda stale, and i'm not HUGE on mushrooms so i felt like there were too many. the ketchup was pretty spicy. my friend who has had zapiekanki in poland before thought this was a good version.

so that is it for my very brief food & wine review. we really enjoyed our first time at food & wine and will hopefully be back in the future. thanks for reading. :goodvibes

griddled greek cheese w/ pistachios & honey - $3.50
this is one of the things i was most wanting to try at f&w, and i wasn't disappointed! i basically already knew i would enjoy this because i LOVE cheese. this was a very simple but tasty snack. it was hard to eat with a fork so i ended up picking it up with my hands which made for a sticky mess… but it was worth it. i bought 2 of these so that i didn't have to share with my boyfriend. :)

I think this was my favorite item. I am sitting at work right now wishing for another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter