Short form birth certificate

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used a short form BC (without parents names) to board DCL? Yes, I know, should get passport, (would need long form with parents name anyway for that application) plus this may be first and only cruise, so we don't want that expense. I have the short form now but need to know if I need to order the long one. TN dept of vital statistics is VERY slow at processing requests, so I need to do now if needed. Thanks for the help for this Newbie cruiser.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise
Has anyone used a short form BC (without parents names) to board DCL? Yes, I know, should get passport, (would need long form with parents name anyway for that application) plus this may be first and only cruise, so we don't want that expense. I have the short form now but need to know if I need to order the long one. TN dept of vital statistics is VERY slow at processing requests, so I need to do now if needed. Thanks for the help for this Newbie cruiser.
According to the US Customs and Border protection site:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

It doesn't specify "long" or "short" only original or copy issued by the Vital Records Department.

DCL follows State Dept. rules as far as identification goes. A basic rule of thumb is if it wouldn't be acceptable to get a passport, it won't be acceptable to use to get on the cruise.

I thought Short form birth certificates aren't valid for use for anything anymore.

You should email the US Passport office. You need an official answer to this question. If you are denied at the port and you say someone on the Disboards said it was OK won't get you anywhere. If the answer is yes bring a copy of the email so you have proof that you were told it was OK.

On cruisecritic people say they have used their short forms as ID to get on the ship. Others have said they have been given problems.

If you're near Nashville, go there!

In person at the Tennessee Office of Vital Records:
Requests for certified copies of certificates are accepted at the Tennessee Office of Vital Records in Nashville. The request must be made by the person named on the certificate, or a parent, guardian, child or spouse of the named person. Most requests for certified copies can be handled while you wait.

I live in Florida, so no, I will not be able to travel to Nashville. I contacted DCL directly via email and was told that original birth certificates are preferred, but guests can use a birth certificate short form on closed loop sailings. The short form typically provided name, birth date, place of birth, date of registration, date of issue, registration number, certificate number and signature. It does not have to list the parents name. I have printed the email so that I can take it with me just in case.

I live in Florida, so no, I will not be able to travel to Nashville. I contacted DCL directly via email and was told that original birth certificates are preferred, but guests can use a birth certificate short form on closed loop sailings. The short form typically provided name, birth date, place of birth, date of registration, date of issue, registration number, certificate number and signature. It does not have to list the parents name. I have printed the email so that I can take it with me just in case.
Hope that works. I'll just point out that the CMs answering questions at DCL are not the ones who make such decisions. It will be decided at the port, by the people checking you in. And, finally, by the Border Control people.

I would err on the side of caution and order an official copy. You can order & pay on-line and it says standard (non-rush) turnaround time is 15-22 days.

RHSTigerMom, I did order an official certified copy, just order the short instead of long form. TN Vital Statistics takes 45 days standard. Can pay to rush. Our sailing is June 12th, so I have time to order standard, just did not want to pay for another copy if the one I have is acceptable.

PrincessShmoo, is there a way to contact the port directly?

RHSTigerMom, I did order an official certified copy, just order the short instead of long form. TN Vital Statistics takes 45 days standard. Can pay to rush. Our sailing is June 12th, so I have time to order standard, just did not want to pay for another copy if the one I have is acceptable.

PrincessShmoo, is there a way to contact the port directly?
Not that I know of.

I will say, based on the link I posted earlier, that a short form should be good. It would be the Border Patrol people who you'd need to clarify with. I was just pointing out that "official" information given out by DCL personnel isn't always the correct answer. But it can be.

It's bizarre that they still sell a certified short form when they are nearing uselessness now.

My aunt lives in Daytona and visits her brother in TN often. No urge for a road trip? :)

I wouldn't risk it. I'd hate to be turned away!
I agree with this!

I'm curious. How much does it cost to get a long copy of a birth certificate? We used to live in Nashville and I've had to go to the office of vital records several times to get something and I don't remember the cost being anything astronomical. (Nothing remotely like a passport would cost)

I wouldn't risk it. I'd hate to be turned away!

You should email the US Passport office. You need an official answer to this question. If you are denied at the port and you say someone on the Disboards said it was OK won't get you anywhere. If the answer is yes bring a copy of the email so you have proof that you were told it was OK.

Two great answers!

I've used vitalchek.com a few times to get expedited official birth certificates.

The cost was trivial compared to the cost of a cruise.

I agree with this!

I'm curious. How much does it cost to get a long copy of a birth certificate? We used to live in Nashville and I've had to go to the office of vital records several times to get something and I don't remember the cost being anything astronomical. (Nothing remotely like a passport would cost)

http://health.state.tn.us/vr/Certificate.htm

Fees:
Long form: Birth, Marriage and Divorce $15.00
Short form: Birth 1949 forward $ 8.00

Or you can mail in the form, or you can use vitalchek: https://www.vitalchek.com/vital-records/tennessee/tennessee-vital-records

Interesting thing on vitalcheck: "The short form certificate does not include parents’ names on births prior to 1976." Which indicates that after '76 it does include parents' names. Odd. Semi-short form? :)

$15 seems like a very small price to pay for the piece of mind, if nothing else. Who knows what else you might need it for in the future? It's possible that it might speed up the process of getting back into the U.S. without a passport should you have to fly home for some reason. (Though I think you're pretty much in a pickle either way there!)

Take it from the wife of a man who travels all around the world for a living. You can never have too much identification!

I'm sorry, but you should have a copy of your birth certificate anyway. Just order the dang thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter