• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shopping Homeowners' Insurance?

LoveBWVVBR

DIS Veteran
We live in coastal FL on a barrier island, so for quite a while there we were in the "lucky anyone but the state is writing our policy" crowd. We live a block from the beach. I haven't shopped our homeowners' in 4 years as I didn't think there was any point, but a friend who also lives here brought it up the other day. I'm hesitant...I feel like any call to my insurance agent (even a shopping call) could be seen as a negative against us. Can you guys please weigh in here? I pay around 4K/year and it's due in July. Thanks.

I shop my homeowners insurance every year. There have been a lot of years when my current carrier has been the best. But not always. There can really be a wide discrepancy between carriers. When you do it, make sure you have your current policy in front of you because you will want to compare apples to apples, plus they will ask what limits you want quoted. When we relocated to a different state, I shopped it pretty hard. And the ranges in coverage cost....$750-$2000!!! I was stunned! It may not change for you, but you don't know unless you shop it. To my knowledge, there really isn't a downside. It's not like you are qualifying for a loan to get insurance!

We've used AAA home owners for several years in several states and they easily had the best coverage for the best price. We've had to make claims with him following a major storm in AriZona and they were there in a day to start the claim and work on everything.

So basically I just call different companies for quotes as opposed to calling the agent who currently handles my policy? I am afraid to call my own agent as I don't want a strike against me...I think that anytime you call it's recorded as an incident on your insurance, even if you are just calling to inquire about better rates.

I'm also in the "lucky anyone will write my policy" because I have a pit bull. I keep my policy where it is as a reward to the company who took a chance on me and my sweet Isis.

There is something to be said about loyalty and keeping your money in the place that took you on when nobody else would.

I'm in the same boat....or flood zone;) When the insurance carrier jacks up my premium, I call around to insurance brokers (not agents who only sell for one company) and ask them to find me a good deal. It seems that the days of loyalty to customers are long gone, and I stayed with one company far too long and overpaid. My former agent is an old friend and understood completely why I changed.

I'm in the same boat....or flood zone;) When the insurance carrier jacks up my premium, I call around to insurance brokers (not agents who only sell for one company) and ask them to find me a good deal. It seems that the days of loyalty to customers are long gone, and I stayed with one company far too long and overpaid. My former agent is an old friend and understood completely why I changed.

How do you find these insurance brokers?

I'm also in the "lucky anyone will write my policy" because I have a pit bull. I keep my policy where it is as a reward to the company who took a chance on me and my sweet Isis.

There is something to be said about loyalty and keeping your money in the place that took you on when nobody else would.

If you lived here you wouldn't say that. We had State Farm on our old house. Never made a claim, had auto with them as well. Well, they decided to stop writing the entire barrier island and dumped US. We were loyal to them for years. Now I get the letters in the mail begging for our business back. Nope, sorry, not even if it's free. These companies have ZERO loyalty to homeonwers...it works both ways.

I had the same problem with another national company. I had my homeowners and vehicles with them for many years, and when the HO premium suddenly jumped $1700 though I had not made a claim since 1989, I shopped around and found policies for MUCH less than I had been paying prior to the increase. I felt like I had been taken, but that was my fault for not being proactive.

You can find independent agents/insurance brokers on the internet, phone listings or by word of mouth. I would ask the agent how many companies he/she brokers insurance and ask him/her to check them all, and I would contact more than one independent agent, as they don't all hold brokerage licenses for the same companies. The independent agencies in our state are listed by the agent, not by the carrier. Good luck!

If you are not aware please read the co-insurance clause on any policy.
This also could be the reason the price goes up. Some policies will adjust for it and allow an % over your stated coverage. This is besides the normal 20% yearly hike most are seeing yearly.
So what it is... The law is you have to be insured for at least 80% of the value of your house and contents as how they will be paid out (full value or X% of the value) or you become a co-insurer. for most small claims it likely will not matter but for a larger claim it will. What will happen is they will send a person to value your house (market value) ask for a list of all belongings before the damage and value them. So if you have 100,000 in coverage and they say you have 200,000 in value you will only get 50% of the money they would have paid out then minus the deductible.
Make sure your house is valued correctly and check what % is paid as some are full value most are 80% some are less and that is with proven values and proof you have what you say.
No I am not an insurance person (was aware of this) and I am dealing with it now however it is related to a business loss.
lastly some companies do still offer discounts for long term customers... I have been with the same company for over 20 years and every time I shop around I may get one company that comes close but never cheaper.

for us while the cost of insurance is a HUGE consideration, their delivery of services are a top priority as well.

before becoming a homeowner I just had renters and auto-went with the same company my parents had for years (AAA). might have stayed with them when we bought our first home but I had a horrendous experience with them on an auto claim. our decision on who to consider for homeowners happened a few months before we bought our first home 23 years ago-we lived in northern California and were watching news coverage of the Oakland hills fires. there were people in evacuation centers-and only a couple of insurance companies had reps there, who were writing checks to their claimants to get them into temporary housing:thumbsup2 we shopped both those companies to get coverage.

we were with the same company for years-then when we moved to another state we shopped and found better rates with another (still awesome customer service-including dealing with a roof collapse that required major reconstruction and temporary housing). about a year ago when dd went to get her driver's license I was disappointed at how much our auto premiums would go up-so I called around and ended up back with our original company where their regular rates plus our multi policy discounts (life, auto, home) made a HUGE difference.

I've never used a broker-I prefer an agent in a brick and mortar location in my town. they know their own product inside out and upside down-also they seem to do a good job of getting to know their customers, and I will get an occasional call or e-mail from mine asking if they are correct that someone (usually me:rolleyes:) has had a recent birthday that qualifies me for an older person discount, or they noted that some public works project (like a recent fire house completion near us) qualified us for a rate decrease.

one thing I would suggest is before you shop-make a list of anything that may make your home different from a basic house because certain odd little things can qualify for reductions-in one home we owned it was the security system, a fire hydrant in front, and that when we landscaped we did some special grading and put in a drainage system for the yards. with our current home it's how we've landscaped (for fire prevention), and the proximity of the fire house. another suggestion-look to see how much more replacement value coverage and temporary housing adds b/c it can be well worth it. when our roof collapsed we ended up (like many others in our area during that storm) in a hotel-but all our lodging, meals and other 'temporary housing' expenses were covered (including getting some clothes and school supplies for the kids that we couldn't grab before we left). for some things replacement value isn't a big deal-often electronics go down in price, but other things like my kid's video games absent that coverage would only be covered at what they could sell it for to gamestop or at a garage sale when in reality to replace many would cost triple what they paid for them new.

How do you find these insurance brokers?

Look for an "independent insurance agency". They sell many different carriers and will help you find the best one for you. If your current agent is a "captive agent", meaning he sells for only one carrier, he may not be able to help you out.

Denise

I live in South Florida about 20 miles inland. I just got my renewal. Was 2500 last 2 years for 252,000 on house and 100,000 contents. My renewal is for 7500 and they dropped my contents from 100,000 to 60,000. How do you like that. well my house is closing on July 7. My renewal is due June 30. I can't afford to pay that and then get it back in whatever time frame they choose as I need money to move. Guess I'll be playing a gamble for 7 days. I will never again own in Florida. My property tax is 6500. So glad to move our of S. Florida.

Editing to add this doesn't include flood. I pay 500/year for that.

I live in South Florida about 20 miles inland. I just got my renewal. Was 2500 last 2 years for 252,000 on house and 100,000 contents. My renewal is for 7500 and they dropped my contents from 100,000 to 60,000. How do you like that. well my house is closing on July 7. My renewal is due June 30. I can't afford to pay that and then get it back in whatever time frame they choose as I need money to move. Guess I'll be playing a gamble for 7 days. I will never again own in Florida. My property tax is 6500. So glad to move our of S. Florida.

check to see when the policy actualy expires. it's not uncommon for a policy to have 30 days beyond the renewal date-that way there's coverage if someone flakes on timely paying their bill.

when we went with the new company we timed it out so it would pickup on the date our existing policy was due to renew-we ended up getting 30 days of auto, atv and homeowner's refunded by the prior company.

I would not want to be without homeowners for even 7 days. And - while I realize you are closing on your house and then moving...I still would not want to be without the policy. What happens if you change the payments to be month-to-month, and then cancel the policy after the house is closed on? After the policy is canceled - you should be able to get a refund on the unused portion of the insurance???? Without homeowners insurance - I would be having "what-if" nightmares...literally.

I would not want to be without homeowners for even 7 days. And - while I realize you are closing on your house and then moving...I still would not want to be without the policy. What happens if you change the payments to be month-to-month, and then cancel the policy after the house is closed on? After the policy is canceled - you should be able to get a refund on the unused portion of the insurance???? Without homeowners insurance - I would be having "what-if" nightmares...literally.

yup-and the other issue is your homeowner's insurance is what will cover your belongings during the period until the homeowner's insurance on the new place kicks in.

I remember being in backup traffic one day, and as we slowly inched past the accident we saw where a car had gone airborne and crashed into the side of a moving van-clothes, photo albums, furniture....all crushed and strewn across a major highway:sad2:

I know what you mean as I've been worrying also. The least I can pay is 1800. They don't do monthly. I just don't have it with the overlap and first, last, and security for the rental. When I say I don't have it, I mean I really don't have it. My divorce left me pretty poor.

Just to clarify, my independent insurance agent is local and has a fully staffed office. When I suggested checking the internet for insurance brokers, I was referring to finding a local one.

I got the same coverage (actually better coverage with a lower premium) through one of his companies than through my previous one (national company that begins with a "T"). I asked my previous agent why the company had jacked up the premium in the absence of any claims since 1989, and he said, "Because they can" and was fine with my shopping around. It's very frustrating that I may have to sell the house I bought in 1983 because of the cost of the insurance.

I am a huge USAA fan, we have used them for Car INS and Banking for 20 plus yrs but in Florida even if they will write the policy they aren't the usually the best option.

I suggest getting quotes, my brother owns his own agency and writes our ins.

I am a huge USAA fan, we have used them for Car INS and Banking for 20 plus yrs but in Florida even if they will write the policy they aren't the usually the best option.

I suggest getting quotes, my brother owns his own agency and writes our ins.

Agree with you regarding USAA....our homeowners in RI (we live a mile from the ocean) and had USAA for years. About 3 years ago, I got the renewal and it had gone from gone up $2,500. My father told me the same thing happened to him. He suggested I call Armed Forces Insurance and I, in fact, got a better deal....and the policy was apples to apples.

We kept our banking, car insurance, brokerage accounts with USAA but moved on with the homeowners.

Doesn't hurt to shop around.

I agree with the poster above regarding loyalty....the insurance company isn't going to decide to keep you just because you've been a customer for xx years. They'll dump you in a heartbeat if they determine the risk is too high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter