Shopping for Jewelry

Mickey Man2

Earning My Ears
What are the best places to shop for jewerly on the seven night eastern cruise. Would it be St. Maarten or St. Thomas?

Could I ask about the best places to shop for jewelry on the Western?

MrsJobba1 said:

Good question I would like to know to. ;) I looked at Diamonds International at Key West and according to there Web Site they are closed on Sunday and that is when we are there. :sad2:

MrsJobba1 said:

On the western we loved Diamonds International in the Forum Shops, Cozumel.

I looked at watches, tanzanite and gold items in St. Maartan - but the prices were higher than what I can pay in New York.

I did buy lots of silver items in Cozumel and KeyWest. KeyWest had a silver place next on the dock where you rent the jet skis. Cozumel had dozens of places.

However, for quality and price - there's no place like home.

We have done quite a bit of shopping on the Eastern...and we have purchased more on St. Maarten. One of our favorite shops is DK Gems. It is run by a brother and sister...the brother is Raj and the sister is Deepti. Both truly wonderful. We walked back in after a few years of not being there...they remembered exactly what we had purchased AND our names! I had left the jewelry in the safe when we went ashore, so it was truly their memories! I also had worked in a jewelry shop state side for about 5 years so I did have a good idea of what we were buying. Do your research BEFORE you go, it will help a lot! Don't get caught up in the hype...look for quality. In doing your research go to a local jeweler, not a big chain. Look to see if they are GIA certified. This will help.

On Western, Cozumel is fun for silver...and Grand Cayman is good for your gemstones and watches. Columbia International, and DI are good...but they are definitely big chains. Good luck and happy hunting!!!

do your research -- know what "stateside" prices are.

understand what the custom regulations are -- how are unmounted gemstones treated? what incentives are provided for purchases in the US Virgin Islands?

In April, there was a talk in the theater about shopping on the islands. The DCL shopper recommended different shops on each island. She preferred St. Maarten over St. Thomas. Once on ship check out the navigator for her times that she is available to talk to you. If you know what you are looking for she can help you find the right place to look, so you don't waste your time. Also if you shop at certain places you will have a guarentee on your item(s) you purchased. I know that she was big into Diamond International chain of stores. Also Gems is listed in the guarentee stores.

I just talked to another person who spent a week in St. Maarten and he told me that the jewerly store "Majesty" was one of the highest ranked jewerly stores in the Caribbean. He purchased many items there and has been quite happy with them.

St Maarten has the best prices for jewelry. Most of the time, Disney Magic is the only ship in port and jewelers are more willing to negotiate as the day drags on.

We have found that St. Maarten is known for Tanzinite and other gems, where St. Thomas is known for watches and those kind of items. In St. Maarten only Phillipsburg (the Dutch side) is duty free, Marigot (the french side) is not duty free. IrishCowboy is correct about the nagiotiating. I know that we are the only ship in port the day we are at St. Maarten and we are the 4 ship in port when we visit St. Thomas. We are planning an excursion for the am at St. Maarten so we can wheel and deal with the jewerlry stores in the afternoon.

If you go to some of the smaller shops.. BARTER BARTER BARTER. One place wanted over $150 for 2 silver bracelets. I got them down to $20 each. Tell them no and walk away.. they will barter with you for the sale.. then tell them you only have so much to spend. but be careful what you say,. since you can never go cheaper...

Most of all have fun.
Reenie

We were totally happy with Majesty jewelers in St. Maarten. I bought a wg handbag pendant with diamonds which was prettier and cheaper than those in St. Thomas. At Christmas I received a box of thank you chocolates. Very thoughtful. I will be going back in Feb to buy more. Enjoy!

webray said:
On the western we loved Diamonds International in the Forum Shops, Cozumel.

Yes, Diamonds Int'l was very highly recommended by the girl on channel 14 on the ship so we stopped there at Key West and my dh was so sweet, he asked me if I wanted to upgrade my engagement ring. The jewler there checked out my diamond and told me it was a very nice quality and I got a chance to look at it under the little magnifier thing, wow, very cool. So we just got it reset into a different band that matches my wedding band. We got a very good price and they did it in an hour. I would recommend them, they (there were two guys helping us) really took a lot of time with us, and we weren't spending a ton of money....nice people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter