Shooting Disneyland

RadioNate

DIS Veteran
Heading to the west coast on Wednesday. The question is what lens. I'm not a lens changer in the parks when we go to WDW. With 2 small kids (and no other adult), I just can't carry that much gear around. I have been known to pull out the 55-250 at the pool and for AK.

But Disneyland is a slightly different beast.

I don't have a lot of gear. I really wanted the 17-55 2.8 but couldn't swing the purchase before the trip and it'll be a LONG time until I can.

So it boils down to...kit lens or 28-135IS? I plan on leaving the 50mm & the 55-250 at home.

I'm worried about hating the 28-135 for parades or something like Fantasmic/World of Color. That 28mm is tight on the T2i.

I'll have my trusty Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 too.

Thoughts?

I favor my 28-105 (a predecessor to the current 28-135) on my crop bodies. But we all shoot differently.

Isn't there an 18-135 that is available now?

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I always prefer wide at Disney.

I'd probably be really tempted to do that now, then start over saving for the 17-55 f/2.8. It's really nice and I use it almost exclusively any more. But at Disney I still wish it had a little more reach.

I generally like to shoot pretty wide which is why I'm so hesitant about the 28-135. This trip is somewhat of a stretch, a new lens is out of the question. But I do like the reach of the 28-135.

I use the kit lens a lot. I get results I'm happy with, sure I could stand something faster but I've been ok with the kit lens. They aren't patent enough for me to do any "real" photography. Someday, I'll get around to it.

I guess I'm just going to have to bring both. Try the 28-135 out the first day and if I don't like it switch to the kit for the rest of the trip.

I used my 28-70 on about 90% of my shots on my last trip. I really didn't see that much need to go wider than the 28. The only wider lens available in my bag is the 18-55. If I had an UWA then maybe I would feel differently, but since I don't I wasn't going to worry about it and used what I had. I was pleased with the results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter