Shoes

pumpkinbaby

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have a tip on the best type of shoes to wear to the park? If you are riding water rides tennis shoes would be awful! But how comfortable are crocs or something to wear all day?

Free Cruise Clocks

I usually plan to wear two pairs of shoes. One for the first 1/2 of the day, then I change when we go back to the hotel for a afternoon break. I like sandals or crocs for the water rides. If you wear tennis shoes you might want to pack an extra pair of socks in your bag so you can change if they get wet.

My podiatrist made me promise to wear good athletic shoes with orthopedic insoles (she likes New Balance or Brooks, and Superfeet insoles). I broke my foot a couple years ago, and I have to have the support. It really helps your back, hips and legs to hold out all day, as well as your feet. I did fine at DL.

I read a tip somewhere to bring a small thin plastic bag, like a wastepaper basket liner, and pop it over your shoes when you get on GRR or Splash. It worked great.:thumbsup2

I always wear sandals--Birkenstocks or Mephistos. They don't bother me if my feet get a little wet, and they're comfy and have cushioned support.

I wore these Mephistos all over WDW, DL and New York City/Washington, DC one year. I just got them re-soled for $75 and they're like new again. I never had any trouble with blisters or sore feet:

Shoes_iAEC1001799.jpg

Honestly, I just wear tennis shoes, but I always take 2 pair and will switch them out....I think this year I might wear flip flops tho, it gets so hot in the summer. :) I've never found that my shoes stay wet, they dry really fast ime.

I'm not 100% sure of Crocs anymore. I have worn my mary janes the past too times to DL and my feet get rubbed raw and hurt in the burning sense. I wore my saucony to DCA (I know, not as much walking as DL) ALL DAY (10am-8pm) and my feet didn't hurt.

I think you have to find the right kind of crocs for you (I'll be sticking with my caymans) and have a nice balance of switching off between those and your favorite walking shoes.

Keens!!!! I have a regular lace up pair that I wore in December to DL when it was cooler and my feet felt awesome after 4 days. For my trip this week I will be wearing my Keen Newport Sandals. They are waterproof and have arch support, don't sweat....so comfy!

I love crocs- but they have to be the Beach. (I like the Mickey ones, so it works out!) My feet are too wide for the others.

Eight days at Disneyland in the Mickey Crocs and at the end of it, not one blister and my feet weren't even sore.

Crocs Crocs Crocs!! Did I say Crocs??? I was not a firm believer in them until my last trip. Honestly I thought they were the ugliest thing I had ever set eyes on and would never wear them. Well day 3 in DL I broke down and bought the red and black Mickey ones. I have since worn them to a Nascar race and a few other things. My feet don't hurt anymore!!! Or at least not nearly as bad. I love my Crocs!

I found some flip flop type sandals that are great. They are Earth shoes and the style is called "Cabo". They have a good arch support and don't bother between my toes like most flip flops do. I have 2 pairs now and wear them all the time in the summer - I used to have foot problems and now I don't!

I just picked up some Keen Newport sandals...LOVE THEM!!!

I'll be bringing those and my Mizuno running shoes. We'll see what happens.

When we were there a couple weeks ago I brought 3 different pairs of shoes and the only ones that didn't kill my feet were the crocs that I had bought just before the trip. I got the Malindi ones at Nordstrom for $30 and they were so worth it! They are all kushy and comfy. The Malindis are one of the new styles (if you think regulars Crocs are on the ugo side you might like these!).
PAAAAAGNNDMCBDFEt.jpg

Crocs are great unless you have sweaty feet. So I guess then it's Crocs with Socks, but I'm not ready to rock that look....

You mean this look? :rotfl: (yes that's me in the "celery" mary janes and ankle socks with a DRESS on at Disneyland)

For me it's all about variety. My hobbit feet need two pairs of shoes. Actually in a way I wear 3, b/c I generally start with crocs and socks (it's cold in the mornings when I've been there!), then eventually the socks start rubbing the bottoms of my feet so I go sockless, then a few hours later I need to put the socks back on and change into my sauconys or new balance (whichever I have). Variety.

you will get all kinds of answers to this question, because it really depends on your feet and their needs. All of us have different foot needs.

I have really weak arches, and if I wear shoes without adequate arch support (like lightweight tennis shoes--keds, simple, easy spirit, etc...) my arches ache beyond all reason and kill me! Crocs are the enemy of my feet! They are just too wide for my narrow foot, and don't offer enough support--believe me, I tried to jump on that crocs bandwagon, but got booted off quickly!

I can wear Mephisto tennis shoes because they have solid support and fit my narrow feet. I have a pair of Merrell sandals that are very plain Jane looking, but are the perfect disneyland sandals. The straps stay put all day, and the footbed and straps are so soft---they are like velvet. No blisters or slippery, sweaty feet. The soles are so suportive, yet have perfect cushioning for standing in long lines (unlike my old Birkenstock--which have good support but zero cushioning, and I was screaming bloody murder by the end of day one!). I have them in the "cement" color--which goes with everything and nothing:
http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-via-iii/141825/328180

If I really want to hedge my bets against blisterage--I will wear a pair of high quality walking socks (you can buy them at comfort shoe shops) that say "anti-blister" on them---and wear them with those sandals. I know--supremely ugly, but happy feet make up for the uglies.

So I wear a combination of my perfectly ugly but perfect for Disneyland Merrell sandals, and Mephisto athletic tennis shoes. Works for my feet!

I love my Tevas... I have had them forever and they are my most "comfortable" warm weather walking shoe.
If you are looking for kid shoes, I bought my kids a pair of Columbia sandals the day we left for DL. They wore them the entire time (brand new), no complaints and no blisters.

We went two weeks ago and I brought Crocs and tennis shoes. I tried switching and the tennis were horrible (I was ready to find the closest place to buy another pair). I wore the Mary Jane Crocs day after day and although my feet were tired, I didn't have any real problems. I have a very high arch and narrow feet - was quite suprised that they worked for me.

My 5 year old daughter spent the entire trip in a pair of flip flops. Drove me nuts.

Take more than you think you'll need. I had only brought the flip flops because she wanted to wear them in the car.

When we were there a couple weeks ago I brought 3 different pairs of shoes and the only ones that didn't kill my feet were the crocs that I had bought just before the trip. I got the Malindi ones at Nordstrom for $30 and they were so worth it! They are all kushy and comfy. The Malindis are one of the new styles (if you think regulars Crocs are on the ugo side you might like these!).
PAAAAAGNNDMCBDFEt.jpg

I have these in silver and I LOVE them. I think they are even more comfy than my caymans since they fit my narrow feet better. I will be wearing these at DL in 20 days!!! (not that I'm counting...)

[I agree with the ugo comment! I couldn't bring myself to wear those ugly Crocs - but my aching feet convinced me. Then they started making Crocs that look like regular flip flops. Now, that is the best of both worlds...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter