Shoes! What kind should we wear?!

:idea: IMO, you need to wear comfortable sneakers. Not brand new ones. A pair your feet are already used to. And you may want to change your socks more than once a day if your feet get sweaty:scared:

I have to second a pair of Keen's. We are a family of Keen lovers. We all have the Newport H2O's. DH and I have worn our pair for two separate Disney trips...planning on buying a new pair for our next trip. I'm thinking of possibly the Venice or the new strappier style.

PSST... Keens are on sale until Labor Day at REI:yay:

I really like Teva Mush flip flops and North Face Base Camp Flip Flops. The Teva are made out of a material that forms to your foot after you wear them awhile. The North Face ones are made out of Soft EVA midsoles with anatomic arch supports that feature egg-crate inspired topsoles to massage your feet as you walk.

The North Face ones are very comfortable for being flips flops. The one girl I used to work with is pregnant and tried a pair of mine on since her feet was to swollen to wear anything but sandals and she said they were the most comfortable flip flops she had worn. They are also on sale right now if you buy them from REI.

For tennis shoes I really like Merrell, specifically the Siren Sport shoes. Based on the information that was with the shoes they are supposed to be made specifically for how a woman walks. I don't know how true that is, but they are the most comfortable tennis shoes I've ever owned.

Hi Aubriee:wave2: Have you ever reccommended the Montrail Molikinis here on the Dis? If so, you're probably the reason I bought mine in the first place! Saw them mentioned on a "shoe" thread last summer and HAD to have them. They proved to be all that was hyped about them and then some! If that was you - "Thanks!" :goodvibes

We are walkers and I took my most comfy broken in Adidas, and my blisters got blisters! About day 4 of our trip, I ended up walking thru Epcot after dinner in my socks my feet hurt SO bad (yes those socks went straight in the trash, but it was so much more comfortable than those shoes). The last few days of our trip I wore my Nike Celso flip flops and they were WONDERFUL!!!!!

At home, I typically wear a pair of sneakers from Wal Mart which I buy for less than $20. Before our trip, I was thinking eight miles a day is a LOT of walking, and figured I would need something a bit better for my feet, so I bought a pair so Sketchers. I broke them in some before we left, and took the old Wal Mart specials along.

Needless to say, after the first morning in the park wearing the nice new $50 Sketchers, I wound up back in the $20 Wal Mart specials for the rest of the trip, and my feet were perfectly happy in them, so I would say if you have shoes (or flip flops) that your feet are comfy wearing now, that is what I would wear in the parks.

Please consider the comfort of your own feet, not what others have found comfortable for their feet. Everybody's feet are different and we all walk differently so what works for one person may be the worst choice for somebody else.

Best suggestion is to take your favorite, most comfortable and well broken-in shoes with you, plus an extra pair so you can rotate them.

Heard a lot about Ryka's being a great comfortable walking shoe..........anyone have opinions on this? Don't want to pay $50-$75 for shoes that will be uncomfortable.

last year I switched between regular flip flops and nike shox (none of which I could wear longer than 3 hours without hurting)

for this years trip I bought fitflops for myself...which is like walking on marshmallows.
I also have a pair of tommy hilfiger flip flops that I wear to six flags and have never had a problem with (although that's a lot less walking than is required in the world), so we'll see how those hold up.
and I'm also going to buy me and Dh a pair of the nike celso flip flops.
I definitely prefer flip flops to tennis shoes, but we'll bring our nike shox for good measure, as well.

I know this sounds so rude but I am always amazed at the number of people who ask for shoe recommendations. What fits one person will not fit another person.

I bought a new pair of sneakers for Disney. I wore them everywhere, the mall, all my errands, around the neighborhood, everywhere. The first day I wore them to Disney I got a ginormous blister on the back of my heel. I never get blisters on the backs of my heels.

I ended up wearing my non-supportive Nike slip on sandals for the rest of the trip, barefoot. I was shocked I did not get one blister.

Bottom line wear your old sneakers. Wear your old flip flops, tThe ones you've had forever. The ones you've been running in or doing aerobics in. Don't worry about support. Go with the old ones you can trust.

Hi Aubriee:wave2: Have you ever reccommended the Montrail Molikinis here on the Dis? If so, you're probably the reason I bought mine in the first place! Saw them mentioned on a "shoe" thread last summer and HAD to have them. They proved to be all that was hyped about them and then some! If that was you - "Thanks!" :goodvibes

It probably was me. Anytime anyone asks for recommendations for park shoes, I recommend the Teva Mush and Montrail Molokinis. My feet just can't take tennis shoes for a week. I have lots of Crocs, but still MUCH prefer my Teva Mush and Montrail Molokinis. You are right, they are GREAT!!!! My mom couldn't believe I was paying that much for flip flops and then when they came and she saw me putting them in the oven, she nearly had a heart attack. However, after seeing how much I loved them, she had me order her some. She loved them right out of the box and when I started to put them in the oven for her, she nearly died, saying I had better not overcook her new flip flops.:rotfl2: I had to reassure her that they were supposed to be baked, so they'd form perfectly to her feet. You should have seen her hovering over that oven fretting over her shoes and threatening me, if I burned them. I now have several pairs of Molokinis and she has two pairs. They will all be going to WDW with us when we leave in about 9 days. I loaned three pairs to a coworker for her first trip to WDW this past July. When she got back she raved about them and wanted to know where she could get some. She said all she and her sister both wore all week were my Montrail Molokinis and my Teva Mush. They never put their own shoes on.

Glad you like them too!

I had the same concern about comfy shoes for WDW. In the past, I wore Teva sandals and they were great. However, I recently developed plantar fasciitis and the Teva sandals gave me problems. I searched these forums and found a recommendation for Chaco sandals. I tried them on our trip in the spring and they were WONDERFUL. They are not cheap (about $80) but they were the best investment I ever made. In fact, the arch support is so good that it significantly reduced my problems with plantar fasciitis. The straps are easily adjustable so when my feet swelled during the day, I could just adjust the straps and I was back in business. I won't go to WDW without them!!!!!:stitch: :mickeybar :goofy:

Another vote for Keens. Our whole family wears and loves Keen sport sandals. They're supportive & comfortable and very cushy. Expensive but worth the investment and last a long time--DH's are just showing wear after many years. They make them for men, women & children and different styles/colors. Many styles are waterproof and machine washable.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15323192/c/123675.html

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Keen&button.x=9&button.y=10

MANY ON SALE at REI

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1439662/c/53302.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7477017.html

www.onlineshoes.com

It probably was me. Anytime anyone asks for recommendations for park shoes, I recommend the Teva Mush and Montrail Molokinis. My feet just can't take tennis shoes for a week. I have lots of Crocs, but still MUCH prefer my Teva Mush and Montrail Molokinis. You are right, they are GREAT!!!! My mom couldn't believe I was paying that much for flip flops and then when they came and she saw me putting them in the oven, she nearly had a heart attack. However, after seeing how much I loved them, she had me order her some. She loved them right out of the box and when I started to put them in the oven for her, she nearly died, saying I had better not overcook her new flip flops.:rotfl2: I had to reassure her that they were supposed to be baked, so they'd form perfectly to her feet. You should have seen her hovering over that oven fretting over her shoes and threatening me, if I burned them. I now have several pairs of Molokinis and she has two pairs. They will all be going to WDW with us when we leave in about 9 days. I loaned three pairs to a coworker for her first trip to WDW this past July. When she got back she raved about them and wanted to know where she could get some. She said all she and her sister both wore all week were my Montrail Molokinis and my Teva Mush. They never put their own shoes on.

Glad you like them too!

Do they explain how to bake the shoes when you get them? Are there actually instructions on how to do this?

I am a diabetic and very careful with my feet during a Disney trip.

A few years ago I discovered Ryka shoes on QVC. I said I would NEVER buy shoes without trying them on....but because I could return them....I gave it a shot.

Ryka fitness shoes are made for women's feet - and fit mine perfectly.....narrow at the heal - wider at the front of the foot and NO POINTY TOES! They have footbed liners that you can take out and wash...or replace with your customized orthodics. I have FALLEN in love with these shoes.

They also offer many of their shoes in wide sizes if you need them.

Anyway.....we have an upcoming trip to DL in 14 days and I will be taking....

Ryka Tennis Shoes

Ryka Walking Shoes (they look like MaryJanes...but a little clunky - but WORK for me).

Ryka slides (neoprine and canvas slides - great for the flight)

LLBean version of crocks. These fit my feet far better than regular crocks (no sliding back and forth), have a wee bit of a heal, have the required holes for my Jibbitz AND they are now on sale for 1/2 off.....$12.99 !!!!

Variety is important for me. If I get a blister (which is unusual), I can switch shoes/style so the bad spot is no longer rubbing as I walk.

I know this sounds so rude but I am always amazed at the number of people who ask for shoe recommendations. What fits one person will not fit another person.

I bought a new pair of sneakers for Disney. I wore them everywhere, the mall, all my errands, around the neighborhood, everywhere. The first day I wore them to Disney I got a ginormous blister on the back of my heel. I never get blisters on the backs of my heels.

I ended up wearing my non-supportive Nike slip on sandals for the rest of the trip, barefoot. I was shocked I did not get one blister.

Bottom line wear your old sneakers. Wear your old flip flops, tThe ones you've had forever. The ones you've been running in or doing aerobics in. Don't worry about support. Go with the old ones you can trust.

I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for good park shoes and like to hear about solutions other than my own.

Of course, my DH also calls me Imelda Marcos!!

Ladies....what is it about shoes? I can outfit a small army....as long as they don't mind pink...blue...yellow and sometimes even preciously adorable shoes!!

Please consider the comfort of your own feet, not what others have found comfortable for their feet. Everybody's feet are different and we all walk differently so what works for one person may be the worst choice for somebody else.

Best suggestion is to take your favorite, most comfortable and well broken-in shoes with you, plus an extra pair so you can rotate them.

I totally agree with this. Although I wear these Naot sandals exclusively http://www.leathersandals.com/naot_shoes/4266.html, not everybody will love them. I can't wear flip-flops, I hate Crocs, and tennis shoes are too hot in hot weather. Listen to your own feet, not someone else's. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter