Shoes stolen from GF Pool

I wonder how much of this is by accident as we all know it can get a bit crazy with kids and packing up on vacation etc. I just can’t imagine ANYBODY wanting to take someone else’s used Birkenstock’s. Gross.
I was a retail manager for several years and nothing surprises me now when it comes to theft. But until this incident (no other toddler girls at the courtyard pool anywhere on our side at 630 at night) I didn’t realize children’s name brand shoes were something that could be targeted. Lots of people sell used items, it never occurred to me they might be stolen.

I wonder how much of this is by accident as we all know it can get a bit crazy with kids and packing up on vacation etc. I just can’t imagine ANYBODY wanting to take someone else’s used Birkenstock’s. Gross.
I was a retail manager for several years and nothing surprises me now when it comes to theft. But until this incident (no other toddler girls at the courtyard pool anywhere on our side at 630 at night) I didn’t realize children’s name brand shoes were something that could be targeted. Lots of people sell used items, it never occurred to me used kids shoes might be stolen.

I had someone take my kid’s shoes at a local (small town) trampoline park. I was shocked and disappointed… they were new adidas sandals.. not cheap. You can’t trust anywhere anymore. I use a locker, even for just shoes, from now on. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I accidentally took a pair of crocs from the poly pool area two years ago. My daughter had a pair of light blue crocs sitting next to our chair and when we went to our room I grabbed them and handed them to her and she put them on and walked to the room. She said they felt weird (they were too big) then I realized they weren’t ours. Apparently whoever was next to us had the same shoes lol. I made the switch back before the other people even noticed their shoes were gone.

No matter where your location remember; theft is merely opportunity. I’m sorry this happened to you but I’m like other posters, I take very little of value to the pool with me wherever I’m at.

I was a retail manager for several years and nothing surprises me now when it comes to theft. But until this incident (no other toddler girls at the courtyard pool anywhere on our side at 630 at night) I didn’t realize children’s name brand shoes were something that could be targeted. Lots of people sell used items, it never occurred to me they might be stolen.

That’s because people like us don’t have that extensive criminal element in our characters, our minds; that we have good souls.

It saddens me to hear about happened to your DD and you. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I have even learned to leave all my nice things at home and not flaunt my treasures. (mostly from this ol’ lady losing them most probably, I tell myself).
But a child, it is very different. She wanted to wear what she wanted, and will learn life’s cruel messages.
Bless you all🥰❣️

Disneyworld is our escape from the real world and I tend to forget that people like this also travel to my magic place!!! Another lesson learned the hard way as my grandfather would say. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and made some great memories. To lightened the mood my husband stole a stroller once. We had a UGLY stroller and I didn't think another person in the world would have one. Well they did and he walked away with theirs. It took a few minutes until I realized our daughter was chewing on a book that was not ours. We returned it to the rightful owner who like me could not believe two people would actually buy such an ugly stroller.

We had the same thing happen at Beach Club a few weeks ago. We had all tucked our shoes together neatly under a table by the pool at Stormalong Bay. When we came back after a dip for an hour, my daughter's Crocs sandals had been swiped. We reported it to staff (and Lost and Found later), but we had no luck. I could see if they were more in a walk area that someone could have possibly mistaken them as their own but not the way we had them lined up deeply under the table. ODD. (Lost and Found closed our case the other day with no success.)

Now I see that it isn't completely unheard of for it to happen. While we were at SB, I was surprised how many people left their purses, wallets, and cellphones just sitting out. I didn't think used shoes would be of interest to anyone.

I also have never seen someone bring a garbage bag to a resort pool.
I've never stayed at GF, but I have seen people use trash bags as laundry bags. Since the laundry is near the pool at many resorts, families often swim while doing laundry. I'm not saying that was the situation you observed, just that it's not so odd in my experience.

So sorry your daughter's shoes were taken on vacation.

This is unfortunate but a reminder that people will take whatever is not nailed down. Honestly the only thing left on my chair when I swim is the hotel owned towel. Coronado has lockers. Do the Deluxe's have lockers as well?

Not sure about GF, but there are "crashers" at the Poly all the time. I literally see them walk up the path from the parking lot in between Rarotonga and GCH and head straight for the pool, with all their totes of clothes. All they do is wait for someone to open the gate and follow them right in. Even just sitting at pineapple lanai Ive overheard a couple of conversations between family members scheming how to get in!! I wouldnt trust any place.

That being said....I have had a couple of late flights and since we need to checkout by 11 (sometimes they let us stay until 1), we have had a large plastic bag and stay by the pool until we need to go to the airport. We then change at the pool bathroom and all the wet clothes go into the plastic bag, then into our carryons, which are usually already in the car unless we stock up on chocolate snacks to bring home with our leftover dining credits :) Then we leave the carryons with guest/bell services

I've never stayed at GF, but I have seen people use trash bags as laundry bags. Since the laundry is near the pool at many resorts, families often swim while doing laundry. I'm not saying that was the situation you observed, just that it's not so odd in my experience.

So sorry your daughter's shoes were taken on vacation.
Are the trash bags in the laundry? I’ve never seen full size trash bags in the rooms.
We had our sunscreen taken off our lounger on The Fantasy a few years ago, never crossed my mind that someone would walk away with it.
Live and learn I guess.

When we were at GF in June they were not checking who entered the pool when we went, I was surprised.
Thats super frustrating given the premium you pay for the access.
I had someone take my kid’s shoes at a local (small town) trampoline park. I was shocked and disappointed… they were new adidas sandals.. not cheap. You can’t trust anywhere anymore. I use a locker, even for just shoes, from now on. 🤦🏻‍♀️
so disappointing
We had the same thing happen at Beach Club a few weeks ago. We had all tucked our shoes together neatly under a table by the pool at Stormalong Bay. When we came back after a dip for an hour, my daughter's Crocs sandals had been swiped. We reported it to staff (and Lost and Found later), but we had no luck. I could see if they were more in a walk area that someone could have possibly mistaken them as their own but not the way we had them lined up deeply under the table. ODD. (Lost and Found closed our case the other day with no success.)

Now I see that it isn't completely unheard of for it to happen. While we were at SB, I was surprised how many people left their purses, wallets, and cellphones just sitting out. I didn't think used shoes would be of interest to anyone.
me neither! It really caught me off guard. Like your experience it didn’t make sense given the specifics that it was a mix up. :(
Yes they do.

Dave
in the pool area?

We had our sunscreen taken off our lounger on The Fantasy a few years ago, never crossed my mind that someone would walk away with it.
Live and learn I guess.

Was it left on the lounger only with DCL towels for longer than 30 minutes? If so, it may have been removed by a crew member who was preventing seat saving.

I know theft can (and does) happen anywhere, but I'm literally shocked. I usually lock my $ and ID in a locker, but I don't think twice about leaving my shoes under my chair. I mean, I would think it's gross to want someone else's wet used shoes.

Are the trash bags in the laundry? I’ve never seen full size trash bags in the rooms.

I bring them from home. I like to keep the dirty clothes in them until we leave. I also bring them for wet clothes that dont dry by the time we pack up to leave and as I stated previously, if our flight is later in the afternoon we will stay at the pool until its time to leave then throw the wet swimsuits/googles/masks/pool shoes in a plastic bag, then into our carryons. I also bring grocery store plastic bags to put in the trash bins in the room. I get the go-green thing, but I cant stand trash! And mousekeeping hasnt come often recently, even prior to covid, and other hotels too also only offer every other day or 2x weekly, so its easy for me to put a bag as a liner, then take the bag every day and toss it in a common area trash bin. And then there are my ziplocks!! For liquids/toiletries/sunscreen/perfume etc... The way my luggage gets tossed around at the airports wouldnt want something opening/spraying inside the suitcase! And scissors!!! Everyone thinks Im crazy, but there hasnt been one trip ever that I havent needed a pair of scissors!! Open a package, cut a tag, fix a costume.....and my best need was on a cruise. it was dress like a pirate night for the kids, which we didnt know about until the day of, and I cut up a shirt on the bottom and made an eye patch and my DD won 1st prize :) Safety pins come in handy too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter