shoes in the park in summer

aladams2

DIS Veteran
What do you summer travelers wear on your feet in the parks? I'm not sure if I want to wear tennis shoes all day and risk blisters. But I want a something with support to wear also, something that can get wet and won't cause any feet issues. Is there such a thing?

When we went last May, my whole family wore Teva Mush flip flops. We all LOVED them! They actually have support and are very comfortable for walking all those miles every day. My boys and husband never wore their tennis shoes. I wore mine one day and Epcot and liked my flip flops much better. I'm going to order my family a new pair this spring.

From my experience on shoes... Sandals, crocs and whatnot are not a good idea in Walt Disney World. Here's my take on why. The parks get very, very crowded. What will a foot injury do to your vacation?

I've seen people have a 300 pound guest step on their unprotected foot. I've seen sunburn on the tops of feet. I've seen guests that got their foot run over by an electric scooter, stroller or wheelchair. I've seen blisters.

My suggestion is always the same. Good quality, comfortable walking shoes that are well broken in. The real secret is the socks. You want moisture wicking, athletic socks. Tennis shoes will protect your feet far better than any sandals.

We love Keen's!!!! They have the support of a gym shoe but has wholes for a sandal look. Also, they can get wet. They are a little pricey, but myself and my DD 6 have worn them for an entire weeks trip with no problems. I have also done gym shoes at the park. The key is the socks. Also, i think this can go without saying; but never wear new shoes.

The key is alternating shoes. And having moleskin handy if you feel a blister coming on.
My family usually alternates between good broken in sneakers (on days water rides aren't planned, and flip flops or Crocs on the days we know our feet will be wet, because these can be quickly dried with a paper towel.
My DH has a pair of Croc sandals he absolutely loves, I wear the regular croc flip flops, however I think I'm going to get me some Teva mush flip flops to try this time. My kids wore mickey crocs, and they didn't have any issues either.

The only one who got a blister was my DS, on the day he wore his Keen sandals. I had heard such good things about these, and so I splurged and got DS a pair. He had them on for about 3 hours at MK and started limping. I took off his shoe and sure enough he had a blister. We used a stroller for him the rest of the day. Luckily it was our last day in the parks.

In the heat my hot, sweaty, swollen feet get more uncomfortable when I wear tennis shoes and socks.

I always wear good, supportive sandals, like Teva or Merrell, and rotate between pairs throughout the trip.

I was amazed last summer at how many people I saw wearing the really cheap, completely unsupportive flip-flops in the parks. My feet would never have lasted even a day in those!

In the heat my hot, sweaty, swollen feet get more uncomfortable when I wear tennis shoes and socks.

I always wear good, supportive sandals, like Teva or Merrell, and rotate between pairs throughout the trip.

I was amazed last summer at how many people I saw wearing the really cheap, completely unsupportive flip-flops in the parks. My feet would never have lasted even a day in those!

sneakers or flip flops. been going to wdw and wearing only these for 30 years.

I also alternate between sandals and sneakers. Love my Teva's. I wore them on the days I new my feet would get wet. Took my sneakers along just in case I needed to change into them, but I never had to. Mole Skin is a life saver. Couple of times I felt a blister coming on. Put some mole skin on and was blister free.

I also agree the key to wearing sneakers is to have a good pair of broken in sneakers and wicking socks. First time I ever went to WDW, tried wearing new sneakers, big mistake.

I get a new pair of Teva Mush for DD and myself every year. I can not wear tennis shoes without getting sore feet and I did get my foot ran over by one of those scooters while wearing Crocs! Crocs were okay but dangerous when wet. I see women wearing heels, so I guess it depends on what is comfy for you.

I wear flip flops almost exclusively. They are higher end ones so have some support. My DS5 lives in his Keens from Spring thru Fall at home and unless we go to Disney in the winter he wears them the entire time. He has never had a problem with blisters. You do have to really break them in though with a new pair. He usually wears them around the house for a week or two with socks before he can start wearing them without to break them in. I am planning on getting a pair of Keens as well this summer. For kids I would definitely recommend a fast drying sandal that protects the feet/toes (if they are anything like my son they will find EVERY puddle, even during a drought ;)). As an adult I don't worry about my toes/foot being protected as much.

I switch between my Nike tennis shoes and my beloved Skechers Reggae sandals depending on what park we are doing and how hot it is, etc. DH wears his tennis shoes exclusively. DD wears her Nike flip flops unless I make her wear tennis shoes. She'd wear them in the dead of winter if I'd let her. I need to look into getting her another pair for the next trip since her toes are going to be hanging off soon!

Merrell Siena Sandals every time for me. I have 2 pairs, different colour and alternate them.

I choose Crocs. I have super high arches and they do not hurt my feet after 12 hours on my feet. They are the only way I go to Disney. As far as a 300 lb guest stepping on my foot, tennis shoes are no better than crocs. If there were steel toe tennis shoes, yes, but regular tennis shoes nope.

i do sneakers. i am from the shore so i love flip flops and sandals but they do not give me the same support. i have a pair of heavy duty athletic nike sneakers i wear most of the trip and then alternate with these addidas mary jane style. they have mesh sides and are a cooler alternative sometimes. i also got these converse style DKNY sneakers that are sequined the second year to wear out at night. flip flops just frustrate me b/c you have to walk slower and they dont have ankle support. i think the key is a good athletic sock. and as for the budget aspect i got all three sneakers at their outlet stores so they were all under $40.

Because I live in Florida I wear crocs flip-flops 90% of the year. The only time I've ever had a problem with them was at Disney, it rained and I had to walk a long distance in wet crocs and my feet were VERY unhappy. Ever since then I always wear tennis shoes to the parks - and try to go between October-March. LOL

i'm a floridian and i wear flip flops, but always have even when we lived elsewhere and visited disney. i bring a multitude of flip flops in case i find a pair rubs weird and i alternate them. i know most people can't get away with this but i don't have a problem.

I wear Teva's. LOVE them! I DO sunscreen the tops of my feet along with the entire rest of my body several times a day. :thumbsup2 If they get soaked in the rain, they dry quickly with no issues at all!

flip flops. I love in florida and we go to wDW several times a year and unless it is below 40 degrees, I am in flip flops. Never a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter