Shoe suggestions....Plantar Fasciitis and also Kids

I also have plantar fasciitis. I'm ok walking all day at WDW with good running shoes and Advil! My problem/pain comes when I get out of bed in the am, but it does eventually go away.

I LOVE my KEEN Whisper sandals! They are so lightweight and comfy. There was no "breaking in" period for me, I wore them for a few days straight and felt nothing but comfort. They come in kid's sizes too and I'll be getting my girls some before our trip.

My sister has had trouble with PF and she bought some European brand of shoes that is made for this kind of foot trouble. They kind of look like Shape-ups, they are thicker in the middle and it forces her to not walk on her heels so hard. She loves them and has had them for about 6 months and her foot pain is gone. They were expensive, around $200 on sale, I believe, but she says they were totally worth it. You even get a pre-paid label to mail them off and get them re-soled once so they should last her something like 5 years.

I have PF as well and I have found that even $100 tennis shoes with $50 inserts from my foot doctor are not as good as my $50 Teva sandals. They have good arch support and are thick and spongy so when I'm walking on pavement all day I'm not in pain.

I've never tried the flip flops because I don't like flip flops, but a lot of people swear by the Mush flips.

Along with stretching everyday. Wearing the right shoes or implants for you. Have you ever considered Cortisone shots? I have pf too and did not want surgery so I tried the shots and let me tell you what a difference it made!!! I still stretch everyday and at night use a frozen water bottle going back and forth. I have not needed another shot in a very long time, but will probably get one for my upcoming trip since I will be doing allot of walking. Best wishes and have a great vacation.

I agree with the people who have mentioned Orthaheels (orthaheelusa.com).

I had foot surgery in January of 2009, and by August of that year I was REALLY concerned about our upcoming Disney trip because I was still having a very difficult time walking. I did research online, and discovered Orthaheels. Bought some, and they are incredible. I did a week at WDW and had no problems whatsoever--my feet never ached, which is strange! All I did extra was to make sure to ice my bad one down for about 20 minutes each evening back at the hotel.

We're heading back to WDW around the same time you are, and I just bought another pair to wear (so I'll be alternating purple and green Orthaheels depending on my outfit. ;)). My mom is going with us, and she also stocked up on Orthaheels--she's also a firm believer in them after I had her try mine. She and I both have also had Plantar Fasciaitis problems in the past, but Orthaheels help tremendously.

Oh, and for the record: My Orthaheels are approved by my podiatrist, and I used to be a firm believer in Croc flip flops. Yeah, I can't wear Crocs anymore. Not near enough support. It's amazing what it feels like to have a truly supportive pair of flip flops.

I have plantar fasciitis in both feet (UGH)! It's just about gone in my left foot (started several years ago) and about a year ago started in my right foot. I try to stretch my feet before getting out of bed and whenever I think about it so I'm not looking for help on how to treat the plantar fasciitis, but I'm hoping someone with plantar fasciitis might have a few good suggestions on walking shoes. We'll be at WDW Sept 10-17. I have a decent tennis shoe that I was fitted for earlier this year, so I'm really looking for a sandal and/or flip flop possibly since it will be hot. (But will take other shoe suggestions as well).

Thanks!!

I have severe PF in both feet one of the worst cases my Dr has seen in his career. I also have bone spurs along my heel and the bottom of my foot. That is wonderful stretching works for you, I wish it did for me but I finally found a treatement that took me from 8-9 all day pain w/ narcotic help to 0-1 pain occasionally after a long day on my feet or after wearing the wrong shoes. So I spend alot of time reseraching and trying out shoes for me. Everyone is different though and some recommend a certain brand that kill my feet. If you have a store in the area where you can try them our for at least 10 minutes before you buy I'd definately try that to see if the popular recommendations work for you.

For tennis shoes I like sarcony walking shoes the best and new balance running shoes (I don't run unless a wild animal is after me though). NB's are very light weight. I always wear my orthotic inserts with my tennis shoes and do pretty well with both kind. I also have a few pair of ballet flat looking tennis shoes by Privo clarks that are a little more fashionable but comfy. But after a day or so in the parks my feet need to breath so I wear Privo by Clarks Splash collection, they are sporty sandals that let my feet breath but still provide me the support I need not to end up in agonizing pain. Teva's are also good but I like my Privo's a little better b/c the bottoms have nice little bumpy things that seem to massage my feet. Almost all Dr's highly discourage anyone with PF from wearing flip flops but that being said...... I do occasionally wear Teva Mush flops or Nike Foam fit flip flops to the pool and around the resort to/from the food court. I would consult a Dr before wearing flips to the parks no matter what the kind if you have PF as it can worsen the condition.

I also have PF and I have to stand a lot for work (I find that standing all day hurts more that walking). Anyway I purchased some Reebok Simply Tone form JC Penny (there a little cheaper than the EasyTone and you can use a coupon!). I have no pain anymore. And for Flip Flops I use the Reebox Easy Tone flip flops. I wore them for a whole day in EPCOT (so lots of walking), and had no problems. Like all flip flops though, buy them early enough to break them in!

Just wanted to share.

I posted in this thread awhile back with info on what shoes I've worn to Disney and I still like them but I developed another issue under my toes on my left foot. I believe its from wearing flip flops and so does my Podiatrist. :(

I don't think it was the Orthaheels because I've worn them to Disney and to Bermuda. I still love them.

I think it was when I wore my usually very comfy "Rocket Dog" Crush thong flip flops dancing a few times. :( It affected that area below my toes and between my big toe and my 2nd toe.

Anyway, I'm going to Disney soon and was afraid to wear thonged flip flops all week with this new condition so I did some research. I was hoping to find nice Orthaheels that I could slip on with no luck.

In my search, I came across these:

Spenco KholoSandals

Zappos.com

SBS_Kholo_BlkBlk.jpg

I was able to buy them on sale for $35., free shipping, from Zappo.com yesterday and got them just now!! :) So far so good. They are lightweight and very comfy. Waterproof too. Build in arch support and some extra support for the area below my toes.

I can't wait to see how they are for the next few days and see if they are good enough to bring to Disney. I think they are. :thumbsup2

I'll update this post again after wearing them for a few days! I may just buy another pair! :)

I have very high arches, both the arch on the bottom of my foot and the arch on the top (where shoe laces hit). I visited the doctor. I found out i also had club toes. I always thought my toes were normal, but learned normal toes are supposed to be straight, not arched.

I already had a pair of Keen Sandals. However, i cannot wear mine without socks. They rub my feet near the toes. So i bought some silly pattern socks and the colors match with the blue color of the sandals. These work well for walking around the parks.

I bought a pair of Merrell running shoes and I find them very comfortable, however i will admit to still adding a set of over the counter insoles (i get the insoles with a hard arch support).

I have also bought a pair of Vibram 5 fingers. I have not tried them yet at Disney. They can be a little uncomfortable walking or standing on hard surfaces, but they are great for running on hard surfaces and can be fun for walking on different surfaces (feeling rocks, sticks, sand, etc. under your feet). I broke them in slowly, only wearing them 2 times a week and slowly building up. They will exercise your foot. I could feel some pain on the underside of my toes. This was both because you actively use your toes for walking, and my toes were losing their curvature. So i was looking less like a hawk gripping a perch and more like a human. They also exercise your whole foot, ankle and knee. My knee pain is basically gone. Do some research on these shoes. I got mine from REI (you can return them if you dont like them, even after wearing). I have heard bad things about the Fila Skeletoes. I have heard fit is not as exact as the Vebram 5 finger, which uses a two digit size like European sizing. Think about it... as kids we probably all ran around barefoot during the summer, how many of us had foot problems (other than the random splinter)?

Crocs kill my PF, though I know a lot of people swear by them.

I do a rotation of Keens, those Skechers "Fit" shoes, and Tevas. For me, shoe rotation is key.

I also have PF although it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I also have big feet. A double curse!

Last time I was in Disney (Jan 2010) it was cold so I switched between different pairs of sneakers and used a arch brace when necessary.

I'm going back to Disney Oct 12-19 and since the weather will be a lot warmed; I won't be wearing sneakers (I don't like my feet being hot and I don't like wearing chunky sneakers with shorts).

After much research (I think I read almost every shoe thread on here!) I purchased a pair of Crocs Duets (I know there are better versions but these were in my size and on clearance) and a pair of Teva Mush ballerina flats. I got them today and now I have questions.

Does anyone have the Teva flats? They feel a little loose and I am worried that they may stretch as I wear them and start falling off (I feel the size smaller will be too small). I'm hoping when my feet sweat, they will stick to the shoe a little better.

The Duets feel great (I think I will have to break them in though, they are a tad snug and I fear the band across my foot may hurt once it's hot outside) however, they feel really slippery (not on the bottom; the tops where my feet are). On top of having big feet I am also a klutz so I am weary of falling! :rotfl2:

Anyone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter