Shoe recommndation for post-hip surgery

dimndgal1

One little spark...
I just had invasive hip surgery and will be just over 8 weeks post-op for our trip this summer. I've already talked to docs about our trip and they said as long as I take it eas, rent some wheels and all goes well between now and then, I'll be good to enjoy.

My question is for recommendations on good shoes to wear to the parks. I used to wear Teva sandals or flip flops but need something much more supportive and with a sturdy back but also want something comfortable for Florida summer and possibly getting wet.

I would love any recommendations or ideas! Thanks!

When I first injured my knees, I wore New Balance sneakers with increased arch support. They were very expensive though... Now that I'm older (read: in need of more professional looking shoes), I wear Clarks for shoes and Merrell (sp?) for sandals because they have really good support.

If you think sneakers might be the way to go, I'd head to your local running store (not a big box store but a local mom&pop store, most cities have them) and get fitted properly. They will fit anyone with any sort of walking shoe/sneaker. not just runners. :) Most will actually have you take your shoes off and walk around the store and/or walk a bit on a treadmill and they'll assess how your feet are hitting the ground and then they'll help you find a pair that are right for you.

If you go to a New Balance store, they will actually fit your feet to your shoes. I have had my knee rebuilt (next step is replacement) and have have recently had a nasty sprain to my ankle on the same side and cannot go to Shoe Show, Rack Room etc and buy New Balance shoes of the shelf, but I can go to a NB store, stand on their machine and get the correct shoes for my flat feet that role out and provide extra shock support for my knee/ankle and they feel awesome!

My DS15 is recovering from a back injury and we had to get him some good tennis shoes from NB and take his boots away so his back would heal!

I appreciate all the suggestions and plan to go shopping for some of the recommended shoes once my hip allows. We live near two big cities so I'm hoping to find a lot of the stores described... and, even before surgery, I loved new balance and Clark's!

Thanks again!!!

If you think sneakers might be the way to go, I'd head to your local running store (not a big box store but a local mom&pop store, most cities have them) and get fitted properly. They will fit anyone with any sort of walking shoe/sneaker. not just runners. :) Most will actually have you take your shoes off and walk around the store and/or walk a bit on a treadmill and they'll assess how your feet are hitting the ground and then they'll help you find a pair that are right for you.

I AGREE. I really like Brooks. They are made of a very cool, breathable material. In fact they are too cool for cold weather. Very stable good support. again, go a good place to get fitted. I prefer independent, privately owned.

I AGREE. I really like Brooks. They are made of a very cool, breathable material. In fact they are too cool for cold weather. Very stable good support. again, go a good place to get fitted. I prefer independent, privately owned.

me too! I love my Brooks - for now. Maybe I'll like something else next time when my running gets better. LOL. But that's it, I do know that NB makes great shoes, but they don't always fit every foot. I'd prefer to go to a store where they sell multiple brands so I can get one that fits my gait perfectly.

I have been Google crazy finding nearby shops that I can hit and appreciate all the different suggestions! I'm hoping to be taken off 'housebound' this week and will def give the different brands a look over. Might have to wait a bit before trying the ones that Ned to be fitted but am optimistic on finding a great shoe for our trip!

Dansko - tons of correct support and they're made to position your foot so you strike correctly, very comfortable to walk and stand all day. There are a bunch in canvas that might be better in the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter