Shocked at our friends cheapness

Wow!!!!! I wasn't expecting such a response. I liked the post about them being flagged by dcl for their next cruise. Actually they are planning on a cat 2 next year and probably not tipping again. I just emailed the couple a little note about my posting here and everyones reaction to it. That should be an interesting reply when i get one. hehe i am such a troublemaker.

Wow!!!!! I wasn't expecting such a response. I liked the post about them being flagged by dcl for their next cruise. Actually they are planning on a cat 2 next year and probably not tipping again. I just emailed the couple a little note about my posting here and everyones reaction to it. That should be an interesting reply when i get one. hehe i am such a troublemaker.

Keep us posted on what they have to say. It would be interesting to see what their reaction is. Tipping especially in a cat 2 should be mandatory. This is how people make their living. I do hope they tip next time. :rolleyes1

I expect this thread will be closed asap. I think it works both ways....we had bad service and still tipped and others get great service and dont tip.

One more thing...some say that they feel they are overpaying for a cruise in the first place. I do agree dcl is expensive, however, the cm's dont set the price and arent making a "fortune" of all of us cruising. It is not their fault and shouldnt be taken out on them.

I expect this thread will be closed asap. I think it works both ways....we had bad service and still tipped and others get great service and dont tip.
I don't get the tipping for bad service...I consider that an opportunity to send a message to the server that they either need to work on their attitude/service skills or perhaps choose an alternate career. That said, only once did I have to reduce the suggested tip on a DCL cruise and that was for a room steward who made a series of mistakes and ignored a request or two. Also had a bad experience with our head waiter on the last cruise...still tipped him the full amount, but from now on, unless I see a little effort/concern/ANYTHING from our head waiter, he gets nothing!

somehow I think they'll get a big chuckle out of it!:mad:

Bill

Actually this thread will make me more tolerant of the "bad" service I may get in the future. It could be that the CM is disillusioned after being stiffed a few times. Not to say that this is an excuse for bad service. But how frustrating it must be to give your all and not get anything in return.

They were in a cat 3 so it wasn't like they couldn't afford it.

I work among the financially elite it it always amazes me how "frugal" they are. All I can say is there is a reason that they have the money they do. They don't like parting with it and find any excuse to not pay for something. It really is sad that they would do something like that. The staff on the cruise is so amazing, when we are on the ship they feel like a part of our family, not the hired help. They are the reason that Disney stands above the rest of the cruise industry in my opinion.

Well just got emailed back.............Let's just say she isn't to pleased i am posting about her cheapness. I wasn't stupid enough to tell her where i posted . Just the highlights of her not tipping and what peoples on the boards reactions were. Here response was "who cares what other people think of me, I do not pay these peoples salaries disney does and if they chose to take a low paying job it is not my problem and i will not be subsidising them for doing the job they are already being paid to do" She also is pissed at me for posting but whatever if she gets over it or not i will live.:surfweb:

Well just got emailed back.............Let's just say she isn't to pleased i am posting about her cheapness. I wasn't stupid enough to tell her where i posted . Just the highlights of her not tipping and what peoples on the boards reactions were. Here response was "who cares what other people think of me, I do not pay these peoples salaries disney does and if they chose to take a low paying job it is not my problem and i will not be subsidising them for doing the job they are already being paid to do" She also is pissed at me for posting but whatever if she gets over it or not i will live.:surfweb:

I think I would find new friends if that is how insensitive they are. I mean, as Ted Knight said in Caddy Shack, "the world needs ditch diggers too" but gee, these cms are trying to better their lives. I don't think they would probably survive living as some of these people live. What a shame.:sad2:

We are not in the same socio-economic category as these people the OP is writing about. The majority of our disposable income does go to Disney, and the way we afford our "extravagant" vacations is by booking Category 11 and 12 (we once booked a Category 10 for the SPH).
We know upfront that the tips are not included, and budget for those (the on-board booking credits sure help!).
These people are unbelievably rude (IMO), and I cannot believe they would have the guts to go on another Disney cruise.
And yes, I do believe in karma - what goes around, comes around.

Refusing to tip for the services of dining room servers and stateroom hosts is not simply "cheapness" -- it's theft. It's just like stealing someone's wallet or breaking into someone's car. It's just as immoral. The only difference is that it's not illegal.

The mainstream cruise lines (including Disney) pay a token base wage of around $50 per month (not per day or even per week) to crew members in tipped positions for the long hours those crew members work without days off, for months on end. The passengers pay directly for the services they receive. The crew members have an incentive to provide outstanding service so that they get bigger tips. That allows the crew members to provide housing, food, clothing, and education to their families back home. The system work well. Passengers get great service, and crew members can earn far more than they could in their home countries.

The cruise lines should do a better job making it clear that "all-inclusive" cruise rates do not include the services of dining room servers and stateroom hosts. But that doesn't mean I'm defending those who willingly cheat hardworking crew members.

The whole "not tipping" is inexcusable. Period. Tips should be just part of the budgeted cruise expenses.

Refusing to tip for the services of dining room servers and stateroom hosts is not simply "cheapness" -- it's theft. It's just like stealing someone's wallet or breaking into someone's car. It's just as immoral. The only difference is that it's not illegal.

well thats extrem! i do think people should tip but come on! it IS a choice. not yours, not mine, but it is a choice. untill it is made mandatory, what people do or do not leave is personal. it is not theft. lets not blow this out of the water.

oh, i feel a bad retort comming. time to go hide.:rolleyes1

Oh come on....to say not leaving a gratuity is even in the same ballpark as stealing a wallet or breaking into a car is just plain ignorant. You can't really believe that?!?

The mainstream cruise lines (including Disney) pay a token base wage of around $50 per month (not per day or even per week) to crew members in tipped positions for the long hours those crew members work without days off, for months on end. The passengers pay directly for the services they receive. The crew members have an incentive to provide outstanding service so that they get bigger tips. That allows the crew members to provide housing, food, clothing, and education to their families back home. The system work well. Passengers get great service, and crew members can earn far more than they could in their home countries.
And I'm sure when they take these jobs, they are very aware that occasionally they'll wind up serving people who are selfish and won't leave a tip regardless of the service they provide. On the other hand, others might leave double or more the recommended amount...in the end it probably all works out and I'm sure Disney has enough statistics on what tips people leave to properly calculate the wages for these people.

The cruise lines should do a better job making it clear that "all-inclusive" cruise rates do not include the services of dining room servers and stateroom hosts. But that doesn't mean I'm defending those who willingly cheat hardworking crew members.
They do make it quite clear when your on the ship. I do think however that they should do a better job of letting people know up front at booking time what the suggested gratuities will be.

We are not in the same socio-economic category as these people .

I really don't think it matters what class you are in, it's wrong. Being in a higher socio-economic class does not allow one to look down on someone not as fortunate as you. I would not tolerate behavior like this from a friend, I would immediately drop them from my social calendar and let them know why!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Be reminded that personal attacks against other posters is against posting guidelines. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Please do not make personal references about people based on that opinion. Please disagree diplomatically.

Keep in mind that just because they stay in a certain room doesnt really say anything about their income or class. Some people save forever to stay in a suite and then dont cruise again for a long time. Others, cruise often and dont stay in a suite. Rude is just rude regardless of where you lay your precious little head.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter