Shipping Purchases Home

deannaf87

DIS Veteran
Can you share experiences shipping purchases home from WDW? My husband and I are planning a long weekend trip to Festival of the Arts next year specifically for purchasing art. He is convinced we need to drive (16 hours from DFW) so we can buy what we want and take it home without having to worry about shipping/fitting it on the plane. Anyone have horror stories of lost/damaged items? I'd much rather fly as it would most likely be cheaper and saves a few vacation days.

I ship artwork every year from the festival. I've never had an issue. Purchases usually arrive within a week after I get home. And since the shipping cost is based on the price of the item (not weight), you can have it shipped right from the booth purchased so you do not have to carry it around the park with you. If you do decided to wait until the end of the trip, you can ship everything together from your resort gift shop as long as you have the receipts for everything you want to ship.

I ship artwork every year from the festival. I've never had an issue. Purchases usually arrive within a week after I get home. And since the shipping cost is based on the price of the item (not weight), you can have it shipped right from the booth purchased so you do not have to carry it around the park with you. If you do decided to wait until the end of the trip, you can ship everything together from your resort gift shop as long as you have the receipts for everything you want to ship.
Love to hear it. Potentially saving me from 16 hours in a car.

It's been several years since we shipped things home but had fabulous service and very secure packaging.

We'd bought a teapot and cups which took an age to unwrap, they were so well padded.

In fact, the box nearly beat us home, arriving the next day despite our not paying for expedited shipping. Probably won't get service like that these days, unfortunately, but maybe the magic will come through for you.

Love to hear it. Potentially saving me from 16 hours in a car.
BTDT, so I’ll add that we too had artwork (multiple pieces over several trips) shipped by Disney from their WDW art stores without a hitch. It was quite a few years ago, but the point is that they’re very experienced at it, so I’d have no qualms about letting them do it. Actually, I’d have been more concerned about our pieces being damaged by our rambunctious kids during the drive home!

It's been several years since we shipped things home but had fabulous service and very secure packaging.

We'd bought a teapot and cups which took an age to unwrap, they were so well padded.

In fact, the box nearly beat us home, arriving the next day despite our not paying for expedited shipping. Probably won't get service like that these days, unfortunately, but maybe the magic will come through for you.

Wonderful!

BTDT, so I’ll add that we too had artwork (multiple pieces over several trips) shipped by Disney from their WDW art stores without a hitch. It was quite a few years ago, but the point is that they’re very experienced at it, so I’d have no qualms about letting them do it. Actually, I’d have been more concerned about our pieces being damaged by our rambunctious kids during the drive home!
We did the 16 hour drive July 2019. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't great. My husband drove straight through on the way home. That was rough.

We did the 16 hour drive July 2019.
That's about how long our drive is from St. Looey.

We break it into 2 days with a 9 hour first day, overnight in McDonough, GA (1/2 hour south of Atlanta) and about 6-1/2 on in to WDW, meals and pit stops included.

We're always so excited to get home quickly that we often get on the road by 6:00 a.m., arriving at WDW in time for lunch.

No way we'd do that straight through. Amazing how much smarter people get with age and experience. ;)

Not sure if this is still the case, but several years ago we bought a bunch of kitchen breakables and the CM ran the numbers for us because if we had it shipped we wouldn't be charged tax, so the difference between taking it with us and tax or shipping and no tax was only like $5 more. Everything was packed SO well and split into a couple smaller boxes.

Plus, I believe, if it's damaged in transit Disney will replace. If you take it with you and damage it you're on the hook.

I had two things shipped last autumn: a lightsaber and a ceramic pumpkin candy dish. The lightsaber was fine, but the ceramic dish broke during transit. I contacted Disney and they had me take a photo of the broken item, then sent me a replacement without any additional charges.

I have been shipping items for many years. Only once have we had an issue and something arrived broken (nothing ever lost). As PP said, I took a picture of it and Disney replaced without question or additional charge. I rarely make a trip without shipping something home and we have shipped items from the Festival of Arts as well. Shipping, is the way to go :)

Last month, took my packages back to my resort (shirt, lightsaber, droid parts) and had it shipped home. Cost $35, came via UPS approximately a week later. No issues.

Last edited:
I took a bunch of my purchases to the gift shop at POFQ and had them shipped home. Make sure you have your receipts. They won’t ship food/drink. It was maybe $34. We’ll worth it to me . It arrived well packed - everything was okay. Would definitely do that again.

I had stuff from Character warehouse as well as items from the park. Took it to my resort gift shop and they shipped everything for $30. Well worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter