• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ship to shore pricing??

chelseadawn22

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know the rates for the ship to shore on the Fanatsy?
I will need my daughters to check in with their dad a couple times on our up coming cruise and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.

I will need my daughters to check in with their dad a couple times on our up coming cruise and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Using the ships phone service is very expensive, I think it's like $9.00 a minute. Really should be left for real emergency calls. Personal cell phones can be a bit less, but still pricy, as you are using Cellular at Sea - that costs $2.49 a minute on top of whatever (if any) other charges your provider will hit you with.

The cheapest, albeit a bit slow, is internet, there are various packages:

Time Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute
Time Plan 2 - 100 minutes for $55
Time Plan 3 - 250 minutes for $100
Time Plan 4 - 500 minutes for $150

I spoke with my daughter on Skype and it worked just fine. It was much cheaper than trying to use a phone.

On the Wonder in January, it took a while to connect, but FaceTime worked well enough for my husband and I to talk to my parents twice. We also texted from ports through cell service and wifi. Even when we were on cell service, it wasn't that expensive.

On the Wonder in January, it took a while to connect, but FaceTime worked well enough for my husband and I to talk to my parents twice. We also texted from ports through cell service and wifi. Even when we were on cell service, it wasn't that expensive.

When in port, cell phones use the land-based cell towers. Your phone usage charges will be whatever your provider charges. Onboard the ship (while cruising) Cellar at Sea is the cell tower used and costs $2.49 a minute.

When in port, cell phones use the land-based cell towers. Your phone usage charges will be whatever your provider charges. Onboard the ship (while cruising) Cellar at Sea is the cell tower used and costs $2.49 a minute.

Yes, I know that. I was trying to suggest more affordable suggestions for the OP.

I am shocked that Skype and facetime worked through the ship. The satellite internet is usually too slow for that.

My children checked in with their dad when we were in port, but he was very well aware that it might be hit or miss for the week we were gone. I think they ended up touching base with him twice. I think your best option would be a cell in port that has international calling minutes.

I told my ex wife that my daughter will call before we leave Port Canaveral and she will call again when we get back to port. She will have the emergency number if anything comes up during the trip. She knows she will be notified if there is a true emergency!

To the OP--Double check which service your phone is logged on to even in port. My phone switched back and forth from ATT to the ship's onboard tower so if I had made a call when it was on the "wrong" service it would have been $$$

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter