Shingles vaccine

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
has anyone got this vaccine? it's recommended for people over 60.

has anyone got this vaccine? it's recommended for people over 60.

Shingles can be extremely painful and a long recovery period. The vaccine does not guarantee 100% you won't get shingles but it will make them less severe and recovery much quicker if you do get them.

Of course I am a nurse and am very pro immunizations and vaccines so take that into account but I would recommend the shot.

Make sure you check your insurance coverage because it costs over $200 if you have to pay cash. You can get the shot with a prescription at many pharmacies so you don't even have to go into the doctor's office. I am a pharmacist and I also highly recommend it - but as indygirl said - it isn't 100%.

DH and I both got it before we were 60 because of being diabetic.
Covered by insurance with a doctor's prescription

I got an injection of the shingles vaccine last fall. My insurance did not pay for it, and payment was required before the injection could be administered at my doctor's office. I think it cost about $150.

About 20 years ago I had shingles and didn't want to risk getting it again. I caught it in pre- and post-op with a bunch of young children having ear tubes inserted. It wasn't fun, and I didn't want to go through it again.

I got it without cost. I have Medicare. My mother had to pay $35. She has Kelsey Care.

I got an injection of the shingles vaccine last fall. My insurance did not pay for it, and payment was required before the injection could be administered at my doctor's office. I think it cost about $150.

About 20 years ago I had shingles and didn't want to risk getting it again. I caught it in pre- and post-op with a bunch of young children having ear tubes inserted. It wasn't fun, and I didn't want to go through it again.

I had no idea people would get this to prevent a re-occurrence. I'm one of those outliers who had it as a kid. I'm decades away from insurance covering the vaccine though, unless exceptions are made for those who have already had documented cases of it.

Yup, as soon as I turned 60, I got the vax -covered 100% by my insurance. I watched my mother suffer from the post-shingles nerve pain for 10 years. She said it was a stabbing and tingling pain where she had had the rash. My oldest sister had the Shingles at about age 60. She has not had any lasting pain with hers though (thank heaven!)

I highly recommend the vaccine!

I had the shingles vaccine almost 3 years ago, at 62. My insurance paid 100% and I had no problem with it.

DH and I will get the shingles vaccine when we're 60. I'd like to get it now, but our doctor doesn't recommend it until age 60. I know that it is still possible to get shingles even with the vaccine, but I would rather know that I did what I could do to protect myself by getting it, than not getting it. Not sure our insurance will pay, and I know the shots are over $200, but I don't care. I still want to do what I can to prevent getting shingles.

I've tried to talk my Mom into getting the shot. She's 77 and refuses. :(

In 20+ years, I will absolutely get this vaccination. My mother-in-law had shingles a couple years ago, and she was in so much pain that I thought she was going to die. I didn't know anything about this until she had it!

Hopefully in 20+ years, they will perfect this vaccine and it will work 100% of the time.

I just had my mother get it and it was over 200.00 since its not covered. Can you only get shingles if you have had Chicken Pox? I have not even had chicken pox.

I just had my mother get it and it was over 200.00 since its not covered. Can you only get shingles if you have had Chicken Pox? I have not even had chicken pox.

What if you have never had chickenpox or have already had a case of shingles? You should still get vaccinated because studies show that nearly all adults 40 years and older have had chickenpox whether they remember having it or not. Also, if you’ve already had shingles, the vaccine can help protect against recurrence.
http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/shingles-chickenpox?page=2

What if you have never had chickenpox or have already had a case of shingles? You should still get vaccinated because studies show that nearly all adults 40 years and older have had chickenpox whether they remember having it or not. Also, if you’ve already had shingles, the vaccine can help protect against recurrence.
http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/shingles-chickenpox?page=2

my bloodwork says I have never had chicken pox- I actually had it checked years ago and was one of the first people to get the vaccine when it came out. But had it checked again last year and no longer have immunity to it so I have to get another chicken pox vaccine.

I know someone whose shingles recently spread internally. She's been out of work for two months now. I would highly recommend getting the vaccine whether you think you need it or not.

I had no idea people would get this to prevent a re-occurrence. I'm one of those outliers who had it as a kid. I'm decades away from insurance covering the vaccine though, unless exceptions are made for those who have already had documented cases of it.

I am going to look into this. DS17 got Shingles this Spring. I KNOW he never wants to get it again! We did take him to the doctor so it's all documented in his medical records.

ETA - He contracted chicken pox at 6 months old (too young for the chicken pox vaccine) from my MIL over the Thanksgiving holidays. MIL had been on a cleaning frenzy and thought she'd been bitten by a spider on her neck. She loved all over her new grandbaby. Then after the holiday, when the "bite" got worse, she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with shingles. Two weeks later DS had the chicken pox. She felt terrible!

I am going to look into this. DS17 got Shingles this Spring. I KNOW he never wants to get it again! We did take him to the doctor so it's all documented in his medical records.

ETA - He contracted chicken pox at 6 months old (too young for the chicken pox vaccine) from my MIL over the Thanksgiving holidays. MIL had been on a cleaning frenzy and thought she'd been bitten by a spider on her neck. She loved all over her new grandbaby. Then after the holiday, when the "bite" got worse, she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with shingles. Two weeks later DS had the chicken pox. She felt terrible!

If teens can get shingles, why do they not recommend people get them until they are 60? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter