Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)

I had shingles at 18. It was misdiagnosed because of my age. The pain in my eye was awful. It was even a mild case. I just had the shingle shots a few months ago. I never want to go through that again. I believe sore arm but that was it. I did schedule my appointment for a Friday just in case, but I could have gone any day of the week.

I have a friend who got shingles on his face. It was so bad that he couldn't work for about a year. He was finally able to go back to work part time last year.

OK, I am a needle-wuss. I am not worried about the after-effects of the shot, I'm just wondering: How much does the injection itself hurt? I was surprised at how relatively painless the covid shots were, compared to what I remember from injections as a child. Anyhow, I know I need to have this done, I am just worried about how much the shot hurts (I know, stupid, right?)

OK, I am a needle-wuss. I am not worried about the after-effects of the shot, I'm just wondering: How much does the injection itself hurt? I was surprised at how relatively painless the covid shots were, compared to what I remember from injections as a child. Anyhow, I know I need to have this done, I am just worried about how much the shot hurts (I know, stupid, right?)
And I'm the exact opposite. Don't care one whit about how it feels going in. But I care an awful lot about what follows. Some of my covid shots I couldn't even feel when they went in. But they caused so much havoc for a couple days after.

The first shot was the only shot I’ve had where I could feel the vaccine going in, but I wouldn’t say it hurt and the needle itself didn’t hurt. I felt nothing with the second shot.

I had the two shingles vaccines (the series) and I will tell you that it was the only shot I thought "ouch" when they gave it to me. I wish someone would have warned me ahead of time, and I do not have shot phobia or anything. I was surprised. But it was super fast and the pain was leaving before I got the "ouch, geez!" out of my mouth.

I am not a big vaccine person. I err on being very cautious on which shots are necessary. To me, the shingles vaccine is worth it. No, you probably won't die from shingles. But you are very likely to be in a great deal of pain (incapacitating) at best and life altering at worst. Also, general pain meds do not touch the nerve pain from shingles.

I had shingles in my 30s, pregnant with my last child, and it was the most excruciating pain I've ever had. It was just awful, like someone twisting a hot fire poker into my abdomen. I will take whatever vaccine, preventive measures they come out with to try and avoid ever having shingles again or hopefully lessen the symptoms if I do get it.
I had the old shot, and the 2 rounds of the new one. I do remember some pain with the 2nd injection, and both my husband and I ran moderate fevers, had fatigue after the second dose but nothing else.
My mother had several bouts of painful shingles, and so did one of my dear friends.

Like any other shot in the past 50 years, really don't feel it. Years ago, when they sterilized needles and syringes and reused, those hurt some. Afterward, fir a day or two, a bit more achy arm than others.

I had the two shingles vaccines (the series) and I will tell you that it was the only shot I thought "ouch" when they gave it to me.
Ditto. I chalked it up to the fact that they kept that vaccine in the freezer and pulled it out just before filling the syringe. I flinched so much on the first shot I got a bruise from it. I was better prepared for the second one, but that one I had more side effects from.

Speaking as an RN for 45 years, I can tell you the more relaxed your arm is, the less it will hurt. Sure the needle & liquid will hurt. But it is much worse going into a tight, tense muscle.

Just had my second shot today. Little pinch when it went in and felt the vaccine for a second or two. I’d describe as an ache rather than pain, same as first dose. Pharmacist warned me before he injected it.

DH had the new 2 step. No issues with the first vaccine. And he is afraid of needles. He said he felt bla for a couple of days with the second one and his arm hurt.

The first one hurt like a mild flu shot. Not bad at all. My second one was painful. I think it can depend on the pharmacist. I did an internet search after the second one felt much more painful going in and found this thread on reddit: .

I remember reading this thread when it first came out and thought nope, not getting that shot....but of course I went for my annual physical and my doctor strongly suggested I get it. So, 2 days ago I got my first dose. I asked the nurse what I should expect in side effects and she said nothing. She's never heard of anyone having a bad reaction or side effects. Well, that was certainly not what I have been reading here or in general online.

I had a headache the first day and yesterday and today my only pain is at the injection site. My arm is very sore today. I felt a pinch when I got the shot but nothing bad at all. I was really worried about flu like symptoms but none so far. I got it in my dominate arm as I recently had a surgery in my other arm that is still healing. I can't sleep on injection side due to the pain in my arm.

Next does is over the summer. I am more worried about that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter