• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

mostyn17

DIS Veteran
Ok fellow cruisers....Some of you read and posted about me proposing to my GF onboard on the 11/27 cruise. I'm having a fear that I bump into one of you onboard and you say...Ohhh are you engaged yet! And it would spoil the who suprise! :earseek: I just wanted to say..please don't ask about it if you bump into me. (unless you see a sparkly ring on my GF) :smooth: lol

Thanks so much for understanding!! Phew!! That makes me feel better! ::yes::

Thanks again!

Travis

WE WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! a DISNEY NUT THAT i KNOW YOU ARE, i CAN'T THINK OF A MORE PERFECT PLACE TO POP THE QUESTION......SEE, THE HURRICANE FOR YOU WAS A BLESSING............

Great Idea!

I proposed to my DW of 11 years at the wishing well of Cinderella's castle at DL almost 12 years ago. Briar Bear and Briar Fox were witnesses.

We honeymooned in WDW and had planned to do our 5 year anniversary on a Disney Cruise until a certain stork had other ideas! We had a baby instead.

Now that Baby, his brother, my DW and I will be going on our first cruise in January.

Good luck with "The Question"!

John

SO.... What's the plan?? You know we are all sitting here at the edge of our seats waiting anxiously. Spill.... :teeth:
4_6_109v.gif

Travis,

Just remember its not the location or the act that counts, it will be your words!

Good luck! See you there.:rolleyes1

She not only loves you AND all things Disney...but she loves Newfies too.....

What fun for both of you...We wish you the best of everything.

Bette

Yeah, I wanna know the plan too! :p (nosyitis)

I'm not sure what i'm doing yet......There are the ideas I got from my last post....and of course I could just ask her in the spur of the moment...maybe in St. Thomas....St. Maarten..or even castaway!! :D

I'm up for some more ideas so shoot away!!

Thanks,

Travis

While smiling at the romance reading this thread I was remembering how much I enjoyed being introduced as Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so as my husband and I boarded the ship last May (we were on our honeymoon!!!) and a simple but maybe cute idea crossed my mind. Plus I always get choked up the minute I walk onto that ship and then having the cast members applauding, pictures snapping, and announcing me and mine with such splendor gets me everytime!! The cast members usually seem up to having some fun and especially if you board early, you could probably arrange to have your introduction as Mr. and Mrs. so-and-so and the cast member could follow up with whatever lead-in for you to pop the question. While not as romantic as some of the other ideas I've read, the moment would be captured on film, you'd have the entire cruise to celebrate, and the option of her input picking out the rings in St. Thomas. All the very best to you and please post when you return!

...and the option of her input picking out the rings in St. Thomas.

I agree! How fun would THAT be!!? Just use a stand in ring for the proposal. I promise she won't mind! princess:

Travis,

If you are sure she'll say yes, then don't wait til Castaway Cay, that's the last day of the cruise. It will enhance the enjoyment of the over-all cruise if you get engaged as the start of the cruise.

If there is any chance she'll say no, then maybe that isn't the best idea, would make for a really crappy cruise if she said no.

A couple of ideas on when and where to ask (forgive me if these are duplicates as I didn't read the previous post you refered to)...

1) Start right away. As you're posing for the boarding pictures, drop on one knee and bring out the ring.

2) Propose during the DIS get-to-gether in front of all the DIS members present (avoids the whole Shhhhhhhh!!!!!! issue).

I also agree do it the first thing! You won’t be all stressed out after you pop the question and you can have and entire cruise to celebrate!!!!!!!
Good luck and God Bless!

Just wanted to add a quick note - On our second DCL cruise - we knew about being introduced once you boarded the ship - So we passed a note to the announcer for him to say a specific message as we boarded - He did (it was special for our DD) and it was really cool!

Just wanted to let you know that they would accomodate (sp?) you on this if needed -

You could always call DCL Guest services before hand to see if maybe they have some ideas for you as well!

As a guy who was in your shoes a few years back on board a Disney ship I may be able to help offer an idea. My wife and I started dating back in 1996. In 2000 we started to think about going on a Disney cruise, which is when we decided to book a cruise in Dec. of 2001.

My plan started to take place when we started to think about getting married. We started to look for rings around Feb of 2001. We went to a few different places and would point out what she wanted and I started to get ideas. My whole plan was to get the ring before we went on our cruise and propose to her on the Disney cruise ship.

The most nerve-racking time I had was actually traveling with the ring. The day before the cruise a co-worker of mind talked me into getting insurance put on the ring in case it was lost or stolen during the trip. God forbid if that ever happened, I would not of been able to afford replacing a 6000+ ring. So a tip to you, Call and insure the ring before you go!!

I decided to place the ring inside of my suit packing during all the traveling. That was the hardest part having to check my suit bag at the airport, the hotel, and then finally the cruise. We went on vacation to Orlando of 10 days prior to the cruise. So every few days I would just check to make sure it was there.

Finally on board I had to come up with a plan to actually do the proposal. Let me tell you how nervous I was! After the first night, we were both puking or guts out. First time being on a cruise ship sort of got to us. We had waves between 30 and 40 foot so that boat was rocking and rolling. My wife went back to the room and fell asleep for the night around 9:00 PM. I felt that since I paid so much money for this trip I was going to make it worth it.

I decided to go down and talk to the head person over our dining room (wife remembers his name, I can't). I asked him if there was anything special that could be done. He said ABSOLUTLY!! So we planned on doing something the 2nd night during dinner at Triton's.

The next day came and I wasn't having the greatest vacation up till this point because I am nervous as heck. As the hours kept ticking by I was thinking about what was going to happen.

Once we got back on the ship from doing that day's activities my wife jumped into the shower. By this time it was about 6:00 PM. I grabbed the ring from the suit jacket and ran to Tritons. I found the head person and gave him the ring. He told me not to worry about a thing that he would take care of everything at dinner while they are doing desserts. The only request I had for him was to have a ship photographer their to capture the moment for us.

To say the least I went back up to my room (she was still in shower) and couldn't believe what I am getting my self into. I am usually a very shy person and I was about to have everyone in that dining rooms eyes on me.

Once we headed down to dinner and found our table, we started talking to the people we were assigned to eat with. We didn't see them the first night because they ate at Palo's. In getting conversations rolling they asked how long we were married and I quickly got really nervous about the question for some reason (as I think you understand). As the dinner progressed they asked everyone at the table what they wanted for dessert. When they were bringing it out they brought the dessert for myself and my tablemates. The head person came over and told my wife that they had a "special" dessert for her.

She started to get really freaked out about them clearing all the glasses of the table and she seen a photographer standing about 20 feet away. She never caught on thinking it was just part of the "show" they put on for their guests.

Then we saw a big people tram coming from the kitchen with the head person in the front holding this silver platter up high. They headed all the way to our table and put this platter in front of her. He reached over and took the lid of the platter to reveal this model of the Disney ship made out of chocolate. She is starting to think, Ok, this is cheesy. Then the waiter guy said open it up. She had to look at it harder and she noticed that it had a lid on it. She opened it up and they had it full of M&M's and the diamond ring sitting in the middle. She immediately got teary eyed and I grabbed the ring from the Chocolate Wonder and got down on my knee and proposed to her. All this time the photographer is snapping pictures. Can you believe it that she said yes? Everyone in the entire Triton's started to clap and I felt that I had 100 ton of bricks lifted off of my shoulders.

The other couple we sat with both were crying and said that "we had made their vacation" even though they didn't even know us.

The rest of the cruise we were known as the couple that just got engaged. We had VIP status. Anytime a CM seen us standing in line for a picture of a character they would come over and rush us to the front of the line. Everyone who recognized us would say congratulations. It really made the trip that much special.

To make an extremely long story short listen up. Propose to her early on in the cruise and propose to her on the ship. The CM's really went above and beyond my expectation.

Terry

Thanks for sharing that Terry, I got mouse bumps reading it!!! I'm a sappy romantic, I can't help it.

Best of Luck to you Travis!!!!!

That's a really amazing story.

To the soon-to-be-groom-to-be:
I personally think that it would be really cute if you passed a note having them announce you as "The soon to be Mr and Mrs ???" and make sure that someone has a camera for the look on her face.

Also, if you are planning on buying a ring in St. Thomas then might I suggest as a temporary ring one of the three stone mickey head rings in the "diamond" color. I think that would be really cute!

:love:

Hey...thanks for the great story! That is a great idea! At this moment...i'm leaning toward that type of proposal. :) I'm not sure if i'm getting the ring in St. Maarten or St. Thomas.

Thanks again!!! :wave:
Travis

If you shop in St. Marten consider Joe's Jewelry and ask for Dean. He is the owner's son. We shopped with him a little over a year ago and he was WONDERFUL!! There were 4 of us shopping together and he spent most of the morning with us until we found exactly what we wanted. They actually own 4 or 5 stores on the ilsand and he took us to each one until we were all happy with our purchases.

PM me if you want more information

Best of everything oon getting the maximum pixie dust on yur side for a never to be forgotten proposal. Here is my vote for ring purchase--on St. Maarten, on Front Street, there are two co-owned stores, one on either side of the street, name Trident and Shivas. We first bought from them during a week long stay on St. Maarten in 2000. We were referred to them by some time share owners who had been spending a couple weeks on the island for 18 years--we were at the Divi with them. At the store, we started chatting with another couple, also grandparents, who likewise had been coming to the island for over 15 years annually. Both of these couples were exactly the type of people who, if I had known them at home, were exactly the type of wise, successful professional/business owner whom I would have asked for a referral anyway. The matriarch of the family who owns the stores is Varsha, and were were pleased with the service, loved the quality, were invited into the workroom to watch some of the work being done--we have been back twice since and last year I even bought some diamonds from them w/o a trip, just some emails and they would call me back (the son, Jay, had gone to the family's store in Aruba last I heard, but he always took care of me very well also.) The value compared to the appraisals and comparable pricing in the U.S. is excellent. Look up their internet site in advance and contact them to let them know what day you will be in port and they can start to have some things ready for "her" input if you like.

OR do something else, that's just my plug for a jeweler with whom I have done business and been satisfied, and I am a suspicious lawyer.

As for the method of proposal, if you wish to do it before getting the ring--I think others have nailed it--do it early to make the whole cruise magical--othersie it will be half stressful for you, and she'll sense that. I love the dining room bit--though that requires a ring--and the CM's are there to make it special and they would love to do things like that. We had a great Head Waiter last cruise and I can just picture her helping out with such a "plot"--and I imagine the others as well.

As for the intro as you step on board, handing a card is great--my personal choice if it was me, instead of "the soon to be mr. & mrs. so and so" would be "and now introducing (Mickey), who is about to ask (Minnie) if she will marry him" into the microphone as you drop to a knee.

Good luck whatever you do--and though I didnt propose on a cruise, yeah, travelling around with many thousands of dollars of diamond in my pocket was stressful as another poster mentioned...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter