• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shhh... It's a Surprise! Wondering to Cabo on a 5-night Halloween Trip

October 19, 2015: Ensenada (or Not!)

We woke up around 7:00 to the boat shaking and the sounds of what I have to assume were ropes being lowered to tie us to the dock in Ensenada (a place that was fun when I was in my early 20s, but I no longer need to visit). It went on for a good 10-15 minutes and no one could sleep through it. Oh well! We had 8:30 Frozen Meet & Greet tickets, so it was almost time to be up anyway.

We got dressed and went up to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast. I grabbed scrambled eggs, corned beef hash, breakfast potatoes, fruit, and a croissant, plus a cup of coffee and a glass of passion fruit-orange-guava juice (my favorite!) I had planned on a light breakfast, but oh well! I do love the buffet breakfast! As we sat down outside I remembered that I needed to get my Mango Mountain Hike smoothie from Goofy's Galley, so I ran out to grab one to bring back in. Those are so delicious and I am sad to say this is the only one I had on this trip!

DSC01235 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

The kids were amused by the seagulls all over the place. Lots of, “Mine! Mine! Mine!”

DSC01237 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01236 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01238 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

After breakfast we went down to Animator's Palate for the Frozen Meet & Greet. We were in the first group of the day so we only had a few people in front of us and very little wait. We were there when Anna, Elsa, and Olaf arrived, which was fun. Alison loves Elsa, and she was dressed as her, so it was pretty cute. She had brought the Elsa-themed Mickey ears door magnet I'd given her, to show Elsa. Elliott and Lucas decided they didn't want to get their pictures taken, but Oliver was game!

DSC01243 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01244 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01246 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01247 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

When all the pictures had been taken we walked down to the atrium for our 9:00 Princess Meet & Greet, where we discovered that the Pumpkin Tree had magically grown overnight!

DSC01242 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Alison was beyond thrilled to discover that her other favorite princess, Rapunzel, was there, as we had believed she was no longer onboard. Jason went to get her Rapunzel dress so that she could change.

We were about 15 minutes early, but the last two families in line told me they were there for 9:00 so we hopped in. A few minutes later a cast member came over and said that they were still working on the 8:45 people, so could we step to the side. For some reason the 8:30 and 8:45 people were really not showing up and soon we were told we could begin to line up. Of course all the people that had arrived after us rushed the line, but it still wasn't long. Elliott, Lucas, and Oliver all announced that they would like to go to the club and not meet princesses. Thank goodness for there finally being a little girl in the family!

Since I had my own ticket for the event but no family, I decided that I would pixie dust someone, as on our last cruiseI had witnessed tiny girls being seriously disappointed when they found out they couldn't meet the princesses. I saw a man and a little girl standing nearby and went to ask them if she would like to meet the princesses. The man told me his wife was in line with his other daughter, but they hadn't realized they needed tickets. So, I let them come with me and they were my surrogate family for the meet & greet. I even took their pictures for them to make it more official!

Alison completely loved meeting the princesses, Rapunzel, Ariel, and Cinderella. After we walked away she told me, “Ariel is the best.” I guess they are good friends now.

DSC01249 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01253 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01254 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01258 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01261 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

I left them and went to get my Kindle from the room, where I also found a gift in our Fish Extender, and it was for me! It was two tubs of chip dip, with a note saying that I should bring it to Diversions or Promenade Lounge to enjoy with the chips they provide at night. The note wasn't signed, and I had no clue who knew my room number since I hadn't signed up for the FE.

10181539 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

I then headed up to Outlook Cafe with Larry to get a tea press of chai, which is one of my cruise traditions.

DSC01265 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

I was soon joined by Meghan, Jason, and Ming, as they had dropped Ali off at the club, and then Ryan and Christa a few minutes later. We had a lot of fun chatting and just hanging out, though poor Larry was trying to read. I asked Ryan if they had left the dips in my FE and he started quizzing me about them, asking if there had been a note, and then finally he admitted that it had been him. He can't stand the fact that the thing just has chips, salsa, and sour cream on it, so he figured it was a good idea to bring something to liven it up. Did I mention that these guys are awesome?

A little while later Meghan got the page that Alison wanted to be picked up from the club. After this she unfortunately was not too keen on the club, but there were a couple of times when she just had to go. It became tricky! Meghan also picked up Oliver and Elliott, and send Elliott off to the open house at the Edge, which is one of his favorite things. After a while she showed up with all the kids but Lucas, so I went out to meet them and we decided to wander up to the buffet. It wasn't quite open yet, so we got sandwiches and fruit at Goofy's Galley. I decided to try the bacon and brie panini that I've heard so much about, but I wasn't too fond of it so didn't eat very much.

We ran into Ryan and Christa, who told us that Elliott was now hanging out with Ava. I knew they would feed themselves, so that was just fine. Larry decided to take Oliver in the Mickey pool, so I thought I would go check out the lunch buffet and get a little snack. I ended up in line right behind Ming, so we sat together to eat. Ming, Jason's mom, lives in Virginia and so I don't see her very much, and it was really nice to sit down to a meal one-on-one and get to talk. I really felt like I got to know her a lot better on this trip! She's a really fun lady!

As we sat down I got a text from Larry in the Navigator app letting me know that they had been about to go in the Mickey pool when it was suddenly closed down. Yup, someone's kid pooped in the pool. Happens almost every trip. There is always someone who takes their un-potty-trained kid in the pool, despite the rules! Oliver was very upset, but Larry took him to the arcade for a while instead (instant cheering up) and then they saw Meg in the spa and Ollie hopped in with her. Elliott and Ava showed up at the pool, too, and they all enjoyed some swimming time.

I got a text from Ryan and Christa saying that they were in the adult area, so I went up to try to find them. I ran into Elliott and Ava in the hallway right outside. I sent Elliott to find Granddad, who was still with Oliver, because Ava said she wanted to go to the Edge, which was no longer in open house. I then headed into the cafe and apparently Ava followed me in, because someone came running over to yell at me, telling me kids aren't allowed. I promised her that I would find her parents and let them know she had gone to the Edge.

Soon it was time for the Nightmare Before Christmas Sing & Scream, which I was really excited about. In reviewing Navigators from years past I had always seen it as starting at 10:30pm, so a midafternoon show was great, and they even repeated it later in the week. We got our favorite seats in the Walt Disney Theater, on the right side of the theater right on the aisle, close to the front. You have a great line of sight on the stage from there, with no people sitting in front of you blocking the view. It's great for little ones! Plus, the center section usually fills up first, so it is easy to get seats there.

Alison was a little bit scared during the movie, but not enough for trouble. They had some cool effects, making it 4D: strobe lights, bubbles, snow, fog. And at the very end Jack and Sally came out of the stage and headed out to take pictures in the foyer. I knew this was coming and that the line gets crazy long, so while everyone was struggling up the main aisles I went out the side of our row and was able to get a good spot in line. Luckily everyone got to me in time, because I was maybe the sixth or seventh person in line!

As usual, Elliott and Lucas didn't want to get their pictures taken, but Oliver went right on in.

DSC01268 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01270 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Alison was a little bit scared, but Sally came over and got her.

DSC01272 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01273 by Erin Brown, on Flickr
DSC01274 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

It was pretty adorable. Jack and Sally were fun, because they were actually allowed to talk. Jack was spot on, doing the laugh and the voice. The kids loved it!

DSC01275 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

The boys then went back to the club (surprise!) and I decided that I would try to take a nap until dinner. That didn't work out, but I still had a nice little rest. Luckily I hadn't fallen asleep, because it wasn't long before Oliver had me paged to come pick him up, and Elliott and Lucas decided they were ready to leave, too. They just wanted to hang out in our room, so I texted Meghan to let her know I had Lucas, and we headed back to the room via the drinks station.

The kids settled in to watch TV and, mean mom that I am, I made Elliott work on his homework. He absolutely hates doing homework and I knew he would regret it if he left it all until the last minute.

It was “optional dress-up night” so Meghan came to get Lucas so that all of us could get into our fancy duds. We got some pictures taken on the stairs in the atrium and then just walked straight on in to dinner at Triton's, for the rotational menu.

CCI10232015_0001 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

I ordered the Onion Soup Gratinee (French onion soup), the Red Wine Bosc Pear Salad, and the Chateaubriand-Roasted Filet Steak, rare. When my steak came it was more like medium (and that's being generous), which I pointed out to Mike. I was told that it was a different cut of meat and that's just how it looked, but come on... someone who orders a rare steak every night probably knows the difference. I pointed out that Larry's steak (which had been ordered medium-rare) was much pinker than mine. I suspect that they had mixed them up, since it seems like the steaks are almost always a bit more cooked than you order. I am not a person who usually sends food back, but I think a medium steak is a ruined steak, so I did ask for a new one. The one they brought me was much better, and it was delicious.

I actually talked Elliott into trying the Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp, which he loved. Both kids did refuse to try the escargot.

Alison needed to use the restroom, so I volunteered to take her. On the way back into the dining room, she told me, “Aunt Erin, I feel a little unwell. I think I should sleep in your bed.” My heart melted! She is so darn cute, and she is a little pistol. She's going to be quite a handful!

I started to feel a little migrainey, so I asked Larry to bring my Grand Marnier Souffle back to the room for me when they were done. I wanted to go lie down, because the next day was a big one and I couldn't take any chances that I wouldn't be feeling well! Sometimes a migraine will upset my stomach and I had Palo AND Halloween to look forward to. I found what was either a towel elephant or maybe anteater, and the kids' trick or treat bags for the next day.

DSC01297 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Larry brought me my souffle, which was a bit dense. I should have ordered the crème brulee! He then took the boys to see the Golden Mickeys while I rested up. I took a nice shower, got in my pajamas, and watched the TV broadcast of the Golden Mickeys.

Soon they all returned and we watched movies until everyone was ready for sleep.

I was on this cruise with you! I'm glad you had an easier time of boarding the ship than we did. We had the same dining rotation except we were on the late seating. I had almost the same meals as you did too. I love hearing about how folks on the same ship can have such different experiences in the same place!

I'm so glad your surprise for the boys worked out! Thanks for explaining the pumpkin tree and the seeds thing. This was my third Halloween cruise and I never went to the ceremony so I never knew about why the pumpkins showed up. I just remember them being there after the second day of the cruise.

I was on this cruise with you! I'm glad you had an easier time of boarding the ship than we did. We had the same dining rotation except we were on the late seating. I had almost the same meals as you did too. I love hearing about how folks on the same ship can have such different experiences in the same place!

I'm so glad your surprise for the boys worked out! Thanks for explaining the pumpkin tree and the seeds thing. This was my third Halloween cruise and I never went to the ceremony so I never knew about why the pumpkins showed up. I just remember them being there after the second day of the cruise.

I have been reading your report, too... I also love seeing how people on the same trip can have such different experiences. It's so much fun! I'm weirdly shy and introverted (other than in very specific circumstances... One of which will occur during our trip) so even though I know I saw you guys on the ship I didn't say hi. We went to the meetup and just sat with our group other than the photo, because I'm the worst at mingling with strangers!

I wish DCL would have been a little bit better about letting the kids know about the seeds! You only saw them if you entered from one direction, so my kids didn't realize they existed. Thank goodness they didn't get upset about it.

That's funny! You do so well online chatting. I'm the same way about talking to people, but I've been making a huge effort to get outof my comfort zone when cruising and try to make new friends.

Looking forward to reading the rest!

I enjoy reading your trip reports. Are you going to finish this one? Or am I missing something?

I am absolutely going to finish it! Our schedule just got so insane... we still haven't had Ollie's birthday party and his birthday was in August! Haven't had a free weekend since then!! I have it on my "to do" list now that the holidays are over and things are finally quieting down. It's just been unbelievable. :)

I am absolutely going to finish it! Our schedule just got so insane... we still haven't had Ollie's birthday party and his birthday was in August! Haven't had a free weekend since then!! I have it on my "to do" list now that the holidays are over and things are finally quieting down. It's just been unbelievable. :)

Looking forward to reading more. Thanks!

October 20, 2015: Day at Sea

We had to turn our clocks forward by an hour, so we slept in until 9:00 when I had room service scheduled to bring breakfast for the kids and coffee for the grown-ups. We had an 11:00 Palo reservation for all of the adults in our wider group, so this seemed like the easiest way to get breakfast into the boys.

After dropping the kids off at the club we headed up to Palo. Since we had eleven people in our group, we were given the private room, which was great! I hadn't been feeling well the night before and knew that I couldn't afford to have an upset stomach today, so I ate carefully, but it was just fine. I'm a rather picky eater, which works out well for me at Palo! I can skip the seafood table entirely, which is good for my fullness factor.

DSC01303 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Our group basically ate everything that was available and enjoyed it immensely. I ordered my usual, gorgonzola and grape pizza, hold the grapes (too sweet for me on a pizza, but I absolutely love blue cheese) and the strawberry soup. As a meat and cheese sort of person, mozzarella and prosciutto fit the bill nicely, and of course I had to try some of the pastries. That strawberries & cream muffin is so good!

DSC01304 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

I took a picture of Ming's plate, since mine isn't very exciting.

DSC01306 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

When I went back for dessert I had to get a little bit more prosciutto e melone, because it is just one of my favorite treats. I was reluctant the first time I tried the champagne jelly and fruit, but it has actually turned out to be one of my favorites. Very light and tasty.

DSC01308 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Meghan and Jason got the call early on that Alison was not enjoying the club, so Meghan took one for the team and headed down. I was able to smuggle out a plate of dessert for her to enjoy (along with a Nutella cream puff for each of my boys). That was about it for Alison dealing well with the clubs, though she would have to spend a little time there later in the cruise.

We went way beyond the standard 1.5 hours, but we had such a great time. I had planned to go to Disney trivia at 1:15 if we were finished early enough that I would have time to get Oliver into his complicated Halloween makeup beforehand, but there was no way that was going to happen. Instead I had to grab him and barely had enough time to get him done before Mickey's Masquerade Party started at 2.

DSC01311 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

He wore last year's Halloween costume, which was the Hatbox Ghost from the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.

It was just insanely crowded. Poor Oliver got really stressed out by it all. The chaos surrounding the people giving out candy. The mobs of people pushing and shoving. He sat in the area that was meant to be for kids, but was half filled with parents, and was very disappointed when he wasn't called on to say what he was dressed as. It was pretty cute watching him flail his arm about, but he was sad when he came to find me (which was difficult in the crowd, poor kiddo).

We ran into Ryan, who had gotten into his Halloween costume early:

DSC01312 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

He was Captain McCrea, of the Axiom, from Wall-E. It was amazing.

The characters started to move around the room to dance with the kids, and again Ollie got a bit upset. There were so many people pushing and shoving that the characters couldn't even see him. It was hard to explain to him that their eyes only give them a small field of vision. I think he was just feeling stressed out because of the rude crowds, but he was also getting a bit uncomfortable in his makeup and wig, so we headed back to the room so that he could shower. That was the worst! Tiny shower, white towels, and lots of makeup on a small, wiggly person!

Once I had him cleaned up I decided that it was time to get into my costume, which involved extensive makeup on both face and body and was going to take a while. I figured that if I was going to spend 1-2 hours putting on a costume, I might as well get some use out of it. Plus, a lot of adults had already been in costume during the 2:00 party and it looked like fun! It was tough getting ready. Again, the bathroom feels even smaller when you are locked in there along with eleventy twelve costume items.

Disgust Costume (Inside Out) by Erin Brown, on Flickr

Disgust, from Inside Out. It was SO MUCH FUN being her. I called Christa and Ryan to see what they were up to, and then went to hang out with them in the Quiet Cove.

Soon it was time for dinner, which was the rotational menu in Animator's Palate tonight.

Disgust Costume (Inside Out) by Erin Brown, on Flickr

We all had the Black Truffle Purseittes, which are one of the kids' favorite DCL foods. As usual I went for the beef, the Ginger-Teriyaki Dusted Angus Beef Tenderloin. So good!

DSC01324 by Erin Brown, on Flickr

For dessert I ordered the no sugar added Mango Mousse, which was very tasty. Again, those “no sugar added” desserts are delicious!

After dinner we went out to take some pictures, because Meg's family was dressed up as the Odd Squad (which I was unfamiliar with) and they looked adorable. Alison took her role very seriously.

Odd Squad Family Costume by Erin Brown, on Flickr

It was time for the Halloween tree to finish up, so we went back to the atrium, where I found Ryan and Christa. Christa had put on her Halloween costume and I finally had my (adorable) partner in crime!

Disgust & Sadness Costumes from Inside Out by Erin Brown, on Flickr

We had a lot of fun hanging out in the lobby, until I realized that the kids thought we were face characters. That sort of threw me off, because I didn't want to be misrepresenting myself! Still, it was pretty cute.

Ryan wanted pictures of himself with the officers:

Captain McCrae (Wall-E) costume, with DCL officers by Erin Brown, on Flickr

After that they headed off to dinner and I went to watch Toy Story the Musical with Meg's family and Elliott. Larry and Ollie decided to skip it this time.

Shortly after that it was time for the “Halloween Isn't Just for Kids” party. It was too dark in there to take good pictures, unfortunately, because there was a lot to see. I did have my GoPro set up. First they had some dancers do a little show, and Christa and I had a couple of Captain Mai Tais for liquid courage. I tend to be a bit shy and don't like to look silly, but I can do ok when I am in a role or playing a character. Across the room we saw more Inside Out people show up (Joy, Sadness, and Anger), and we took that as a big of a challenge. There were so many good costumes!

Then they told us we had to dance in order to enter the costume contest. My nightmare! Everyone who wanted to participate had to get out on the dance floor while the staff walked around and chose participants for their categories. They handed you a card with a category on it (Funniest, Original, Scary, Group, and Most Disney). Christa and I were selected for “Most Disney,” which we were thrilled with. While we were dancing a woman dressed as Bing Bong came over to give us big hugs.

Ben, dressed as a surfer who had been eaten by a shark, was in the “Funniest” category, but he sadly didn't win. It was hard being in the first category, because they didn't know what to expect. The judging went by audience applause, so clearly you had to play up to the audience. Christa and I quickly formulated a plan.

Ryan's Captain McCrea costume was selected for the “Original” category, which was perfect. He did a great job with the interview portion of the competition and he won! I do have video of this:

Finally it was time for the final category of the night, “Most Disney.” Christa took her time walking up very slowly and sadly, while I was disgusted with her. Sadly, my stupid GoPro battery died right before it was time for our interview (we were last). While the others were interviewed, I made a show of being disgusted by their answers, eye rolling and gagging. When he got to us, Christa took the lead on answering questions and said something along the lines of, “It's too hard.” And then she lay down on the floor. Here's a picture from out in the hallway:

Sadness Costume (Inside Out) by Erin Brown, on Flickr

In a moment of pure genius, Bing Bong stood up in the audience and rolled her ball of emotions gently across the stage toward Christa. It was magical and I am so upset I don't have any of it on film!

I answered the rest of the questions, and then we won! Yay! Copies of “Haunted Mansion” for everyone! Plus, a trophy, which sits in a place of pride on my bookshelf. As a huge Disney fan who spent like a month hand-painting fabric, sewing, and planning my costume down to the smallest detail, winning the award for being the most Disney was wonderful.

After the contest ended they turned up the music and we went out and danced and danced. We were pumped up so after that we went over to the Cadillac Lounge, before heading to bed. It was late and I knew I had a very long shower ahead of me. I didn't want to stain the towels, so I had to do a very thorough job of makeup-removal!

Congratulations on winning "Most Disney". Your costume is really cute even though I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen the characters in advertising.

What an amazing costume! And it sounds like you had a lot of fun that night!! Congratulations on winning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter