Sheraton Vistana Resort with toddlers?

PleaseStandClear

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We have an opportunity to buy someone else's Vistana stay in December. The price is good, we could work out details (contract in writing, etc), but we're trying to decide if a trip to this resort would be a good idea for our family.

My DH and myself would be traveling with a curious toddler, an equally curious pre-schooler, and my parents who have SEVERE allergies. We're DVC members and we've never had a problem staying at any of the DVC properties, but I've read some disturbing Trip Advisor reviews about dirty or musty rooms.

The seller says that Cascades was requested, but there's no guarantee of where we'll stay.

We need to make a decision in the next day or two, but I'm having a hard time.

My questions:
1. Are there dedicated smoking and non-smoking rooms? We would want a non-smoking room, but I've read somewhat confusing information as to whether or not they are available or if all rooms are smoking optional.

2. Are there elevators for all or some of the buildings? One report said they had a 4th floor room with no elevator -- this might be a problem for us with strollers.

3. Are musty rooms a problem?

4. I've read that if you own at Vistana, you stay in the section where you own. This seller claims to have requested Cascades -- is this a possibility in cases of timeshare point-trading or buying a stay in cash?

5. How does the Vistana compare to DVC properties in terms of cleanliness?

Thanks in advance,
K

Hi,

My questions:
1. Are there dedicated smoking and non-smoking rooms? We would want a non-smoking room, but I've read somewhat confusing information as to whether or not they are available or if all rooms are smoking optional.

2. Are there elevators for all or some of the buildings? One report said they had a 4th floor room with no elevator -- this might be a problem for us with strollers.

3. Are musty rooms a problem?

4. I've read that if you own at Vistana, you stay in the section where you own. This seller claims to have requested Cascades -- is this a possibility in cases of timeshare point-trading or buying a stay in cash?

5. How does the Vistana compare to DVC properties in terms of cleanliness?

Thanks in advance,
K

1) no - they are all smoking (so far - Florida is considering a non-smoking in the state law - which if they pass is silly - it will hurt their main economy - tourist)

2) Cascade and Lakes have elevators - don't think the other building section do. Fountains is also fairly new and in good shape

3) in some sections musty rooms might be a problem. Each section has its own owners and management. So that makes for a very strange system. Most timeshare have one management company.

4) there is an expert on Vistana here - she owns at Vistana - so hopefully she will be posting - Maria - her disney name - MiaSRN62. Pretty certain that members can request other areas.

5) stayed in Springs, Lakes and soon Fountains. both Springs and Lakes were very clean - even by Disney standards.

the problem with little kids - is the same problem you will get with Disney - the master bedroom - is further apart than Disney.

it is on the other side of both bathrooms. So screaming in the second bedroom might not be heard in the master bedroom. Also a big problem (to me) the outside door is closer to the second bedroom.

if you get Cascades, Lakes or Fountains - won't be too concerned.

Springs, Fall - are nice too. of course the thing I like best about Spring was the easy access to the villa. Mother only had a wheelchair at the parks - so she was walking to everywhere else. It was about 6 steps from where I parked the car to the front door of our unit. Even OKW is not close to the unit.

Hi,

First, I just have to say, Spiceycat, I really enjoy reading your posts. They always seem to be so organized and informative. Have you been everywhere??? :goodvibes

OK, sorry, back to the topic...

We stayed on the 4th floor of the Lakes building last December with our DS who was just shy of 3 years old. I had many of the same concerns based upon my trip advisor research. The only DVC I have stayed at was the Boardwalk Villas, but our stay at Vistana was comparable for cleanliness. Although the Boardwalk was pre-child (some days I feel like any detailed memories I used to have were wiped out in that first year of parenthood) so ya never know! But we have stayed at the Poly, Coronado Springs, and Wilderness Lodge post-child and found our Villa to be comparable.

The room was not smokey, but a little musty (DS has allergies as well). I bought this "True Air" by Hamilton Beach filter thing that just plugs right into the wall (like a Glade plug-in except bigger). It was about $25 and I ran it the whole time, but it REALLY helped.

I agree with Spicecat regarding the room location. We did actually dig out the baby monitor and bring it with us for piece of mind.

I did really like that the balcony was not an issue. It was screened in and safe so that was one less thing to worry about.

I hope this info is helpful. Good luck with your decision!

Are there elevators for all or some of the buildings? One report said they had a 4th floor room with no elevator -- this might be a problem for us with strollers.
Hello K.....
Spiceycat and Victoria did very well answering your questions. Sorry I didn't get to your post sooner (I was out of town over the weekend).

To answer the question about the elevators. Only Cascades and Lakes have elevators as Pat mentioned. But....if someone said they had a 4th floor room and no elevator then I'm at a loss for where they could have been. All the other sections do not have elevators, BUT, they are only 2-3 stories high. You can always request ground level for "mobility" issues. I would think a stroller would fall into this category.

Another thing that perplexes me is, the owner said he/she requested Cascades. If they own there they would not have to request it. Ask them what section they own in and if they are doing an RCI or II exchange.

I own in the Fountains I and II section and never found them musty----nor the newer Lakes or Cascades.

However I have heard reports of some of the older sections being a little musty. It is nice that you can keep the balcony door wide open for ventilation since it's completely screened. Also....all villas are smoking optional as Pat said but in 13 stays at Vistana we have never experienced a smoke smell in the villas.

Hope this helps.

Hello:
We just got back from a week at the Vistana. My sister gifted us an RCI week. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in Cascades with our 3 and 4 year old children. It was a very positive experience. The room was very clean. The staff very helpful. And it is close to everything.

I have stayed at Vistana many times. All the units are smoking, I am allergic to smoke have asthma and have never been bothered by smoke. If I was I would call and ask for a change of unit but I have never had to do that. I have never noticed a musty odor (I'm also allergic to mold etc. and usually very bothered by musty odors) I have stayed in falls, fountains, cascades, palms and spa's over the years. (We have been going since 1987). To my knowledge there are no units on the 4th floor with no elevators. Some do not have elevators that have 3 floors. You can always request a lower floor. We started with our children when the youngest was only 2 years old and I never found a problem with the set up of the rooms. But then again back then we didn't have monitors and we were used to putting them to bed upstairs and not listening for every sound LOL.........how did we do it???!!!! Hehehehe I've always found that after a hard day at the park or swimming and running around at Vistana that their heads hit the pillow and they were out for the night...........yes, we could pop some popcorn, throw some laundry in, and rent a video (yeah now it would be a DVD ) and relax in the living room while the kids slept. It was heaven to us!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We decided to do it, so we'll find out for ourselves in a few weeks. Thanks for the reassurance that we aren't likely to have problems and can expect a helpful staff if we do.

My previous off-property experience was limited to the super-cheap motel type places DH and I would stay in pre-kids (and pre-DVC). (While those $40 a night or less places were great for us because we hardly spent any time in the room, they wouldn't work for us now.) I can't wait to try the Vistana!

One more question -- is there any place on site or nearby to find good coffee?

is there any place on site or nearby to find good coffee?
There are two full-serve restaurants as well as a snack bar poolside and a General Store. You should have no trouble finding coffee.
Have a wonderful stay.

when can ou request a building when you check in or bfore my mother in law is letting us use it in january and which buildong would you recommnd?

If you go to the Vistana website, there is a link for Diamond Lane check in. Do that about two weeks before you check in. We have always gotten our requests.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

We went. We had a lovely room in Cascades. It was very clean and comparable to OKW or BCV in terms of wear and tear on the unit. The price was unbelieveable for such nice accomodations. We were glad to go and would not have had a chance otherwise.

Just in case anyone searches this thread later, here is my mini-review of the unit:

In terms of layout, I'd recommend Vistana more for a family with school age children than our group. DVC has larger bedrooms and smaller living areas. We liked the Vistana's table for 6 at mealtimes and loved the screened porch.

With DVC 2 bedrooms, the common area is in the middle and the two bedrooms run the length of the unit. At Vistana, the common area is one side of the unit, the master bedroom is at the back and the 2nd bedroom has a window onto the exterior hallway (next to the entrance door).

We were 4 adults and 2 very young children. The two adults (granparents) were more cramped in the second bedroom at Vistana than in the larger DVC studio-size bedroom. Because they faced the entrance, they sometimes had hall noise. I wouldn't feel comfortable with 2 small children alone in this bedroom, espescially since the oldest might be able to open the exterior door. The 2 bedrooms at Vistana are separated by the bathrooms, so there is little noise between the bedrooms, but both bedrooms seem to have more noise from the livingroom/kitchen than the DVC set up. DVC also has more separation in the Master bedroom between the bedroom and bathroom areas of the room.

In our unit, we had trouble bathing the kids. The second bathroom had a glass door, which makes it difficult for an adult to lean over the tub while bathing a small child. The master bath's whirlpool was either deeper than DVC's or had a wider deck, because we had much more trouble leaning over it to bathe the kids. (Either that, or we're getting older and it just feels more difficult.) I don't know if all Vistana units are like this, or even all of the Cascades units, but ours was.

If all else were equal, I'd prefer accomodations at a DVC resort for our specific group because of the room layout advantages. However, all usually isn't equal, and Vistana has lovely accomodations very close to Disney at a very competitive price. We will definitely consider staying there again, though we might wait until the kids are older.

did you do what Victoria suggested 'We did actually dig out the baby monitor and brought it with us for piece of mind.'

that would work for your young kids.

but definitely know what you are talking about.

would also put one of those inside locks on the door (so your kids couldn't open it without the alarm going off)

did you do what Victoria suggested 'We did actually dig out the baby monitor and brought it with us for piece of mind.'

In our case the kids weren't in the second bedroom (they were in the LR and with us), so we didn't, but I would definitely do that and get a door alarm if we had the kids in their own room.

Great report Pleasestandclear.......
as reported by PSC : We were 4 adults and 2 very young children. The two adults (granparents) were more cramped in the second bedroom at Vistana than in the larger DVC studio-size bedroom. Because they faced the entrance, they sometimes had hall noise. I wouldn't feel comfortable with 2 small children alone in this bedroom, espescially since the oldest might be able to open the exterior door.

You were lucky enough to get the newest section at Vistana. But with that, you trade off with smaller rooms and the exterior halls.

The older units are quite large----larger than DVC (I'm a Member as well). The older units, while they don't have elevators, don't have those exterior hallways either, so you don't get the foot traffic noise in the second bedroom. And the second bedroom is roomier in the older units.

So it's a toss-up between newer/more modern units with elevator access (Cascades & Lakes) vs the larger/roomier villas with the older sections but lack of elevators.

We've been staying at Vistana since '94, when my youngest was 2 years old. We always felt the resort was great for little ones. Especially with the addition of the zero depth entry pools and fountains at the Lakes and Cascades sections. Yes....the second bathroom does have glass doors making it a bit tougher to bathe little ones, but we always used the jacuzzi tubs. I truthfully never noticed if Vistana's were deeper than OKW or BWV.

Glad you had a nice stay ! Thanks for reporting back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter