• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sheraton vistana resort vs marriott cypress harbour?

sz9144

DIS Veteran
Want to trade our time share week in Orlando for August. Debating between marriott cypress harbour and Sheraton vistana resort.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pools are very important, as is convenience of parking and children's activities.

Thanks!

Want to trade our time share week in Orlando for August. Debating between marriott cypress harbour and Sheraton vistana resort.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pools are very important, as is convenience of parking and children's activities.

Thanks!

Both top notch properties. Cypress Harbour is a bit more adult/golf oriented and is spread out around the course. Vistana Resort is a more family friendly resort with lots of pools (7), large but easily walkable and secure. We're comfortable letting the kids roam at Vistana without getting lost. Lots of kids activities at Vistana as well - but I'm not as familiar with Cypress Harbour's programs.

are you doing just Disney or other parks too?

if other parks then Marriott Cypress Harbour

otherwise it is just because Sheraton Vistana resort is closer to WDW - might go with them.

Marriott Cypress Harbour gets some great reviews vs the other marriott's

Having stayed at both I will vote Cypress harbour hands down. It is a great resort, just the right size, configured well, and just beautiful. I'm not sure why the other poster mentioned golf. There is a golf course next to CH but you can't play it from CH. The only golf at CH is mini-golf. You can find that at the recreation center where everything is happening. They have activities for all ages including crafts for the little ones and sunrise Yoga for the adults. My son loved the remote control cars that they offered and you could race. 3 pool (including an adult quiet pool), a sanna, a beach, even fishing. It is a great resort. I give it an A-. We stayed at one of the newest section at the Vistana resort, the Cascades, and it was nice but I found the resort too large and some of the units are older (I believe the VR has the title of being the first Timeshare resort in Orlando). I give VR a B-. As for location, the other poster mentions that VR is closer to Disney which is technically true but that poster doesn't consider traffic. VR is on 535 and traveling west on 535 from the VR is now very challenging with the traffic being so bad. You can catch Rt 4 in just a couple of minutes coming out of CH and you'll never hit traffic so my experiences is that it will take you less time to get to Disney from CH then VR. Good luck.

I only mentioned golf because of the location inside a golf course:

Yes the course is actually part of the Marriott Grande Pines next door.

As I said, both are excellent resorts. But, I have only visited CH (and the visitees were adult golfers), never stayed there so my impression was a bit fleeting.

Note for Vistana that you wouldn't go west on 535 to reach Disney (or much of anything else). Disney is two quick right turns out of the main entrance of Vistana, no traffic, ever. Also note that Vistana has been completely renovated in the past couple of years, with the oldest buildings getting full "to the studs" upgrading; it is very well maintained by Sheraton.

Note for Vistana that you wouldn't go west on 535 to reach Disney (or much of anything else). Disney is two quick right turns out of the main entrance of Vistana, no traffic, ever.

I guess it depends what part of Disney you are talking about. If you are going to Downtown Disney you'll be taking a left and traveling west but if you are going to the parks then you can take rights and get on 536. the last few years 535 continues to get worse and we avoid it like the plague. With the VR located right on it I consider that one more reason to go with CH. IMHO.

I guess it depends what part of Disney you are talking about. If you are going to Downtown Disney you'll be taking a left and traveling west but if you are going to the parks then you can take rights and get on 536. the last few years 535 continues to get worse and we avoid it like the plague. With the VR located right on it I consider that one more reason to go with CH. IMHO.

3 right turns to get to DTD. Yes, it adds about 2 miles to the trip, but cuts 15 minutes at least usually. You are just approaching DTD from the other end and missing all the lights. We don't even go left (west) to get to I-4 unless traffic is very light, again two rights to 536 and hop on I-4 there. About the only reason to go that way would be if you wanted to hit a store directly at Crossroads, but we don't do that.

Looking forward to the new overpass to Prime Outlets/Vineland from Palm Parkway. Should cut a lot of traffic around 535/I4 crossing.

3 right turns to get to DTD. Yes, it adds about 2 miles to the trip, but cuts 15 minutes at least usually. You are just approaching DTD from the other end and missing all the lights. We don't even go left (west) to get to I-4 unless traffic is very light, again two rights to 536 and hop on I-4 there. About the only reason to go that way would be if you wanted to hit a store directly at Crossroads, but we don't do that.

Looking forward to the new overpass to Prime Outlets/Vineland from Palm Parkway. Should cut a lot of traffic around 535/I4 crossing.

to get to the parks you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536 on world center - to Disney = this road becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4. as has been say.

to get to DD you turn left out of SVR on to 535 Apopka vineland road- go under I4 -then turn left at hotel plaza bvld - when this roads turns iinto buena vista drive you can turn into DD.

to get to any of the wdw parks I4 is not necessary from SVR.

to get to DD you turn left out of SVR on to 535 Apopka vineland road- go under I4 -then turn left at hotel plaza bvld - when this roads turns iinto buena vista drive you can turn into DD.

That's the shortest route (distance) but the longest route (time)

to get to DTD you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536/World Center Drive (becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4) then take the next exit after I4 to Buena Vista Drive and you are right at DTD's West side. A little longer drive (distance), a LOT less traffic, higher speed limit, and almost no lights. I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.

Here's a google map of the route. Note that SVR is A and DTD is B. The longer route shows as 2.5 miles longer, and 1 minute longer in time, but the upper route does not take into account the time wasted in traffic. The longer route has always been quicker for us (and more like 6-7 minutes than the listed 10 minutes).

i timed it from the epcot parking lot to my parking spot at SVR and it only took 8 minutes driving time. one of the "welcome to disney" signs is right around the corner on 536.

it's a great location IMO.

I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.

Ditto. First time we were in Orlando, the GPS sent us in that direction, and we learned our lesson! :p World Center Drive is the way to go. :thumbsup2

That's the shortest route (distance) but the longest route (time)

to get to DTD you turn right out of SVR - then right again at 536/World Center Drive (becomes Epcot Center Drive after I4) then take the next exit after I4 to Buena Vista Drive and you are right at DTD's West side. A little longer drive (distance), a LOT less traffic, higher speed limit, and almost no lights. I would NEVER send someone up 535 to enter DTD via Hotel Plaza, unless they like sitting in traffic.

Here's a google map of the route. Note that SVR is A and DTD is B. The longer route shows as 2.5 miles longer, and 1 minute longer in time, but the upper route does not take into account the time wasted in traffic. The longer route has always been quicker for us (and more like 6-7 minutes than the listed 10 minutes).

I'm with you on this. It's much easier to take same route (turn right out of Vistana, turn right onto 536, then follow the signs after you pass under the Disney arch) to get to DTD or other Disney attraction) than it is to go left and up 535 to Hotel Plaza Blvd. When we stay at Cypress Harbour, we usually go over to Palm Parkway and down to DTD to avoid both I-4 and the congestion at the exit onto 535 at Lake Buena Vista (the Palm Parkway route comes from the opposite direction toward Hotel Plaza Blvd. and I think that's a bit easier).

As far as the two resorts are concerned, I think it depends on the needs and make-up of those traveling with you. Both are geared to childrens' activities. Both Marriott and Sheraton have terrific resort amenities and activities programs (some cost money to participate in at either resort). Both have several pools, though Vistana is larger so they have more of them. Parking at either resort is easy - parking areas at each of the resort buildings. If elevator access makes a difference, I think that some of the Vistana buildings don't have them, while some do (resort was built out over a long period of time with different developers handling different phases, so different designs). Cypress Harbour has elevators in all of their buildings. Both resorts are currently in terrific shape - Vistana has recently gone through a resort-wide refurbishment program; the Marriotts, in general, are at the top of the industry in continual renovation/refurbishment and Cypress Harbour is no exception. We prefer the atmosphere at Cypress Harbour to Vistana Resort (we actually prefer Vistana Villages to Vistana Resort as well, despite the same corporate ownership). For us, the resort intangibles make a Cypress Harbour vacation experience our favorite in the Orlando area. But if your vacation time will be spent mostly at theme parks, at restaurants, at shopping, etc., then it won't make much difference. Both are very nice resorts and you'll likely have a good experience at either.

Dick Taylor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter