• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sheraton Vistana Resort - just back

3mom

Earning My Ears
We are just back from a 6 night stay at the Vistana Resort. All I can say is it was excellent. I requested through Diamond Lane a top floor 2 bedroom villa in the Cascades section and got just that. You could see the fireworks from the screened porch - the kids loved it. Very clean, the pools were awesome, and the restaurants are very convenient.

All this for $139 a night (which included daily housekeeping.) I don't think we will stay anywhere else - it's just too nice there.

That's great.....welcome back from a wonderful trip. Vistana Resort is on our list of places we'd love to try for a future trip.

$139 seems like a very good rate for a 2-bdrm. Did you go through a promo or rent directly from an owner?

Our $139 rate was through the allearsnet website. I originally booked it at $149/night, then allearsnet dropped the rate to $139. So I re-booked at that rate. I thought it was a great deal. I know that alot of people have gotten better deals through skyauction, but we couldn't do 7 days and I could never find the exact dates I needed on SKyauction. So we were happy with this rate.

I'm glad you had a great time! Have you ever stayed at any of the other Villa resorts near Disney? We are going in 2 1/2 weeks and have a room booked at the Vistana but I am still undecided because they won't guarantee non-smoking rooms and my son has allergies. Did you notice anything smelly? How about the decor? Some people say it's just fine, others say it's dated. I guess as long as it's clean with comfy beds and appliances that work, not to mention good service...that's what matters. Am I asking too much? Also, if you plan to go back there again, it never hurts to keep checking rates up until the end. I also had the allears rate of $139 and about a week (maybe 2?) ago they dropped it to $109 so we re-booked!

but I am still undecided because they won't guarantee non-smoking rooms and my son has allergies. Did you notice anything smelly? How about the decor? Some people say it's just fine, others say it's dated. I guess as long as it's clean with comfy beds and appliances that work, not to mention good service...that's what matters.
Victoria....
I own there and have stayed there every year since '94. We have never smelled smoke in any of our villas over the years. I'm pretty sensitive to it and it's never been a problem. I've actually noticed it more from time to time when staying on disney property. Vistana does a terrific job of deodorizing.
As far as the interiors/decor.....each section will vary. There are 9 different sections with some villas a little dated. The Cascades is the newest section and the decor is very pretty.
I've never encountered a dirty villa, though I've thought some of the older sections did have decor that appeared a bit dated. Painting/wallpapering is constantly changing every couple years. I have many pics of Vistana but some of the decor has changed. If you're interested in seeing any, just let me know.

Glad to hear another positive review for the Vistana Resort. We really like this resort.

Victoria We have stayed at Vistana Resort several times. My son and husband both have allergies. I would recommend you sign up for Diamond Lane checkin. Everytime we have registered, I have explained the allergy situation to the checkin staff (and sometime the manager on duty) and asked for a recently renovated room. We have been lucky to get great rooms that haven't had any funny smells. We actually like the Fountains section. The area doesn't have any elevators - which isn't a problem for us. The 2 BR units are quite large. For us, the huge plus at the VR are the recreation staff. We have been fortunate to meet some really nice people and have had a great time participating in the onsite activities.

I also noted no smell at all in our condo, except a "recently cleaned" type of smell (pleasant, not overwhelming at all.) I would guess that you would be better off in the newer sections, but I have only stayed in the Cascades section, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Our villa appeared to have newer bedding and was extremely clean. I would guess that most of Cascades would be similiar.

I think the Diamond Lane request form is the way to go. I got exactly what I asked for. When I was checking in, another woman was at the desk complaining about her 2 br villa, and they said they couldn't move her for a day or two. So I think it pays to get your requests in up-front. I found the front desk staff to be very nice, and BTW, we only got one call regarding the time-share breakfast, so no worries in that department.

The decor in our villa was lovely. The appliances were newer and worked fine. It really was beautiful. Even my husband, who doesn't get excited about hotel rooms, was very impressed. I don't know about the other sections, but if you get Cascades, I think you will be very happy.

Another satisfied customer:thumbsup2 , we thought our stay was just swell.What fireworks (WDW?) can you see from the cascades, we didn't notice any.

I'm guessing the fireworks we saw were at MK since they were always at 8 or 9pm. We were on the 4th floor of the Cascades section right behind the reception center (our villa was #2467.) They were fairly far away, but still visible and a real treat for the kids.

We've seen glimpses of fireworks as well from the Fountains area---not sure if it was Illuminations or not. We've also had minor views from DD----saw Planet Hollywood from our balcony one year.

Thanks for the "smelly" info everyone! I was ready to write off the Vistana, but due to your comments it's back in play. Sounds like the Cascades may be the one to shoot for. OK, I know I should know this with all the research I have done (some of the details get boggled in the brain after a while, ya know?), but could someone explain the diamond lane check-in again? How far in advance should it be done? Is it more than 72 hours or within 72 hours of check-in that it needs to be done? I think I may have the site saved somewhere in my favorites if I can find it. Also, I have heard it is easy to get lost at the Vistana Resort and the map provided may not be spectacular. Being directionally challenged I need all the help I can get. Recommendations, opinions, crazy thoughts regarding the diamond lane thing or maps/layout? I welcome them all (it is waaay past my bedtime on a work night and been a long day so if I sound a bit loopy please ignore it)! :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter