Shellfish Allergy

Kidgoingon40

Mouseketeer
Hi, I was hoping to find out some info about dealing with a food allergy at disney. This summer my husband found out he had an allergy to shellfish (ate some shrimp and ended up in anaphylaxis, had to go to hospital by ambulance). He didn't have the allergy the last time we went to Disney. The strange thing is after allergy testing, it is believed that he isn't actually allergic to shrimp but is very allergic to crab and scallops. The doctor thought the shrimp he got from the grocery store that he had the reaction to was cross contaminated with crab. Anyway, to say the least, after that experience we are very scared about cross contamination. We have actually been too scared to eat anywhere that serves crab or shrimp (just in case).

I know that disney is supposed to be great about dealing with food allergies, and my husband is looking forward to being able to eat in whatever restaurant. I was hoping to get some tips on how to deal with this. I of course marked shellfish allergy when I made our reservations, but what else do you do? I know you are supposed to talk to the chef. But what exactly is the protocol for this? Has everyone had good experiences? I just want to be able to feel comfortable eating somewhere that has shellfish. For example, he wants to be able to eat at Ohana - but I feel a little iffy about that because of all the shrimp...Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, how does this work at counter service restaurants?

I also have a shellfish allergy, and have had no problems at all when eating at Disney.

I just do like you did and mark that there is the allergy. Most of the times the chef comes out to talk to me, and if it is a buffet, like Boma's, they will walk me thru and tell me which dishes to avoid.

At O'hana's, I just make sure that when they come around with the shrimp, that they don't give me any. The food there is served on skewers and it is one meat per skewer that the staff bring to each table.

Most counter service restaurants are not going to be serving any type of things with shrimp or shellfish. If not sure, don't be afraid to ask before taking it. Otherwise fairly easy allergy to deal with.

I am allergic to all fish. Have had several near death experiences from cross contamination but never at Disney.

My dh is also allergic to shellfish. We follow the Disney protocol all the time, always speaking to the chef. He did have a cross contamination issue at Chef Mickey's at dinner once, but that was 15 years ago. He hasn't had an issue there since then. We try and exercise extra caution at the buffets where cross contamination can easily happen.

Shellfish is one of my allergies (along with mango and tree nuts.) I always talk to the chef and have never had a problem at WDW.

Two of my kids have shellfish allergies, as well as peanuts and tree nuts. They've never had even a mild reaction at Disney World. The only place we stopped eating at was Columbia Harbor House after they added a shrimp basket to the menu. This was advised by Special Diets. You can check out CS restaurant menus prior to your trip on this site or allearsnet.com if you want to avoid places with shellfish. Just mention the allergy to the order taker and they'll either get a manager to check ingredients for you or let you check out the ingredient binder yourself. We don't avoid TS that serve shellfish. The chefs and waitstaff at Disney are excellent at handling food allergies. Our meal at Ohana wasn't the best (food quality and service issues), but the chef made sure my kids' meals were safe.

Thank you so much for the responses. That makes me feel so much more comfortable with eating all over the world. :woohoo: I know hubby is definitely looking forward to the eating freedom lol.

Severe shellfish allergy here.
I had a reaction over a year ago at OKW Olivia's.
Quick service counter--my fault ,,,cross contamination (crab and shrimp).
Some people must actually ingest the shellfish to have a reaction but with me even trace amounts are dangerous.
I now read all Quick service menus and ASK at all Quick service restaurants.
I am also going to carry an Epipen with me .
I also now tend to eat at QS restaurants that have NO shellfish on the menu at all.

I love the Fish and Chip Shop in DTD but they can not guarantee that they have a dedicated fryer that is shellfish free.
Make sure if shellfish is on the menu that you ask if they have a dedicated "Shellfish free fryer".

Hugs Mel

Severe shellfish allergy here.
I had a reaction over a year ago at OKW Olivia's.
Quick service counter--my fault ,,,cross contamination (crab and shrimp).
Some people must actually ingest the shellfish to have a reaction but with me even trace amounts are dangerous.
I now read all Quick service menus and ASK at all Quick service restaurants.
I am also going to carry an Epipen with me .
I also now tend to eat at QS restaurants that have NO shellfish on the menu at all.

I love the Fish and Chip Shop in DTD but they can not guarantee that they have a dedicated fryer that is shellfish free.
Make sure if shellfish is on the menu that you ask if they have a dedicated "Shellfish free fryer".

Hugs Mel

Hi, Mel! I am sorry to hear you have such a severe shellfish allergy and had a reaction at disney. :(

My husband also seems to have a strong reaction to just trace. When they allergy tested him after the hospital incident, shrimp barely made a reaction (but crab and scallops were HUGE), so they wanted to do it again. The second time, shrimp didn't even make a reaction (but crab and scallops were huge again). Of course, allergy testing isn't exactly the most reliable thing...but the dr still thinks the shrimp was contaminated with crab. She wanted him to do one of those eating tests to make sure about shrimp, but we really didn't want to risk it (in case he was also allergic to shrimp he had no desire to go into anaphylaxes again - neither did i because it was terrifying - he didn't get to the point where his throat was closing, but by the time the ambulance came he had tingling inside his mouth and his entire torso was COVERED in hives that looked like pancakes - plus the itching was insane...ugh). He has to carry an epipen with him at all times now.

I think we will also steer clear of any counter service that serve shellfish - I don't think we were really interested at eating at any of those anyway (I don't think it is that many that serve it?). We also aren't really fans of buffets (although i do enjoy the character interaction :)).

Thanks for the tips! :)

Just going to post a few QS restaurants that I know of

Magic Kingdom
Columbia Harbour House
lobster,shrimp,clam chowder

Egg Roll Wagon-Adventure Land
Pork and Shrimp Egg Roll

Animal Kingdom
Yak and Yeti counter service,
no shellfish on their QS but lots on the sit down restaurant menu
and the QS food is prepared there.

Epcot
Lotus Blossom cafe
Shrimp

Katsura Grill
Japan
Shrimp

Downtown Disney
Cookes Of Dublin
Scallops ,shrimp,

AMC Dine In Theatre
Crab Rangoon Dip
Fried Shrimp
New Orleans Lobster Salad Torta
Thai Bang Shrimp Tacos
Bruschetta Shrimp Pasta

Disney Hollywood studios
Starring Rolls Cafe
Spicy Shrimp Roll

Hugs Mel

Thank you so much for the responses. That makes me feel so much more comfortable with eating all over the world. :woohoo: I know hubby is definitely looking forward to the eating freedom lol.

My mom,73 also has a shellfish allergy. We like to make dining reservations ahead of time and always call and talk directly to a CM and let them know ahead that she has the allergy. The chef came out and personally talked to mom. :thumbsup2

Even w/o the call ahead, I know when you tell your server you should get a chef visit for q&a.

ENJOY:)

If I recall, most buffets seemed to have peel and eat shrimp on the salad section of the buffet so I would be very careful of cross contamination there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter