• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharpies on Magic Bands

bonjourmickey

Mouseketeer
I know that there are many posts about decorating magic bands so sorry to add another one! I tried searching for this answer and haven't found exactly what I need without reading the enormous post about decorating the magic bands. So I'm hoping someone can help me out please!

How well does it work to decorate your Magic Bands with sharpies and then seal it with something? Does that stay on well? I've seen a lot of people use finger nail polish but I'm not sure talented in that department so I don't think that would work well.

I was also considering writing my phone number on the underside of my kids' bands but not sure if that would stay on as it rubs against their skin?

Thanks for the help!

We tried it once with a sharpie and when we tried to seal it with clear nail polish it rolled right off. We didn't try to seal it with a spray. Do you have any old magic bands that you can try it on? We use old magic bands all the time to test.

Also we bought a nail polish pen at a drug store, Walgreens. They come in white and black - and maybe other colors. They work great. Once they dry you can spray them with an acrylic spray or don't coat them at all. I hope that helps.

Ah! Using an old one for practice! That's a great idea! My daughter has an old one I can try on. I will also look into the nail polish pens. I didn't know such a thing existed :upsidedow
Thank you tons for your help!

I know that there are many posts about decorating magic bands so sorry to add another one! I tried searching for this answer and haven't found exactly what I need without reading the enormous post about decorating the magic bands. So I'm hoping someone can help me out please!

How well does it work to decorate your Magic Bands with sharpies and then seal it with something? Does that stay on well? I've seen a lot of people use finger nail polish but I'm not sure talented in that department so I don't think that would work well.

I was also considering writing my phone number on the underside of my kids' bands but not sure if that would stay on as it rubs against their skin?

Thanks for the help!

I do this every time - but I put the number on the outside of the band so it doesn't rub off. Works like a charm!

We put the kids initials on the inside of the bands in black sharpie since they wanted the same ones. It's bigger and easier to read at a glance than the small names. The sharpie lasted for 8 days without coming off without any nail polish for us.

Thanks for all your help! We will see about using polish or trying out the sharpie on the old one and see how it works.

Sealing sharpie with nail polish or a solvent-base does spray isn't going to make the Sharpie bleed. Sharpies are solvent based, sothe solvents in nail polish essentially re-liquefy the ink, making it prone to bleeding or smearing as you brush or spray on the clear coat. I second the recommendation of nail polish pens, and just snap them back onto the pillow box they come looped on while they dry, so the polish doesn't crack.

You don't have to be artistic at all. I like using a holographic polish on mine to give a lot of fun sparkle, without a lot of detail work. You can also use nail art stamping sets to add images without having to free hand everything.

A little off topic but bc you mentioned writing your number on your children's bands, we decided to go with SafetyID stickers this trip. There's an inner sticker with contact info that sticks to a bigger weather proof sticker. It's recommended to put them on the back of the children's clothing so they leave them alone. They get very good reviews on etsy.

Just another option for you.

Another thought on your phone number. Putting them where a CM cannot easily see - under the band is not a good idea. This is the type of thing (location) I used to thing of as well, but learned that a CM is not going to scour your child for such info and unless the child will tell them (some really shy up), it's not a good way for a CM to find you. It needs to be in a place the CM can find easily, like the back of the shirt. Some fear this will make it easy for someone to lure them away, but I think of it this way, if they are with me, they will not be lured away, if they aren't with me, whoever finds them needs to know how to find me!

Another thought on your phone number. Putting them where a CM cannot easily see - under the band is not a good idea. This is the type of thing (location) I used to thing of as well, but learned that a CM is not going to scour your child for such info and unless the child will tell them (some really shy up), it's not a good way for a CM to find you. It needs to be in a place the CM can find easily, like the back of the shirt. Some fear this will make it easy for someone to lure them away, but I think of it this way, if they are with me, they will not be lured away, if they aren't with me, whoever finds them needs to know how to find me!

IMO it's far more important to understand Disney's traditional way of dealing with lost parents than to worry about phone numbers. The majority of the CMs who are going to have 1st and 2nd contact with a child whose parents are missing will NOT have a phone or the ability to use it to call a guest. So. Take pictures of the child each morning in order to KNOW what they are wearing without thinking. Try to have one parent stay where they are, and one parent go back to where they last know they had the child. Both should contact CMs. At least one parent should try to remain calm. Ahead of time, help the child recognize CMs. Let the child know that they should find a CM with a nametag behind a cash register, and practice that. (not sure they are doing it anymore, but for awhile Disney made nametags to purchase that looked just like CM nametags, so "behind a cash register" is an important part of figuring out who CMs are) If they need help, it's traditionally and statistically safe to have the child find a mom that they feel comfortable with, to ask for help. Children won't ask people they are creeped out by, and statistics are statistics, and women are statistically safer than men. Then the adults know that if reunion doesn't happen quickly, and if no one has a phone to call a guest's cell, the child will be taken to the center (not sure if it's called Lost Children or Parents...it's nicer to say lost parents, but I'm not sure what it's called) and that's where the child can be found.

IMO it's far more important to understand Disney's traditional way of dealing with lost parents than to worry about phone numbers. The majority of the CMs who are going to have 1st and 2nd contact with a child whose parents are missing will NOT have a phone or the ability to use it to call a guest. So. Take pictures of the child each morning in order to KNOW what they are wearing without thinking. Try to have one parent stay where they are, and one parent go back to where they last know they had the child. Both should contact CMs. At least one parent should try to remain calm. Ahead of time, help the child recognize CMs. Let the child know that they should find a CM with a nametag behind a cash register, and practice that. (not sure they are doing it anymore, but for awhile Disney made nametags to purchase that looked just like CM nametags, so "behind a cash register" is an important part of figuring out who CMs are) If they need help, it's traditionally and statistically safe to have the child find a mom that they feel comfortable with, to ask for help. Children won't ask people they are creeped out by, and statistics are statistics, and women are statistically safer than men. Then the adults know that if reunion doesn't happen quickly, and if no one has a phone to call a guest's cell, the child will be taken to the center (not sure if it's called Lost Children or Parents...it's nicer to say lost parents, but I'm not sure what it's called) and that's where the child can be found.

Its been awhile since I've posted this but my thoughts are if someone has to call you someone is going out of their way not to get reunited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter