Shark Reef Status

I'm going to cry....:sick: This is planned for our first time in Feb and probably the only time i'll ever get to go snorkeling :headache:

Guys they are shutting down TL for brain eating ameboas, that have jumped over from the long lost River Country.... no TOTALLY kidding... but this had to be the feeling people had about River Country. On a side note i wish i was able to go to River Country. But also everyone (like 10 people) who have been to river country said either they or a sibling received Hand Foot and Mouth after leaving there......... so maybe not.

We're heading over tomorrow morning so I'll let you all know!
Thank you! I'm planning to be there next week and I was really looking forward to it. I haven't been to Typhoon Lagoon in 20 years or so :scared: but I remember this experience being one of my favorite parts.

And the operating hours continue today- open 10-5 just like the other attractions that have their own description page.

Yes it was open this morning - we were the first folks to go in it for 2015! :)

Oh, YAY!!! We hope the weather at the end of February will cooperate for a Typhoon Lagoon trip... my 7 y.o. is ecstatic about the idea of swimming with sharks!

YAY! This makes me so happy!!! It was starting to feel like everything is closed/removed or walled up for our trip in 22 days ;)

Guys they are shutting down TL for brain eating ameboas, that have jumped over from the long lost River Country.... no TOTALLY kidding... but this had to be the feeling people had about River Country. On a side note i wish i was able to go to River Country. But also everyone (like 10 people) who have been to river country said either they or a sibling received Hand Foot and Mouth after leaving there......... so maybe not.

I went to River Country several times when I was a kid and no one in my family ever had any ill effects. Well, I got a couple scrapes from the concrete water slides and experienced some nasty thigh smackers from the slides that dropped into the pool but other that we were all fine.

Ahhh River Country. It's no Typhoon Lagoon but I wouldn't mind going back again. I'm kind of sad they closed it.

We were there yesterday and snorkeled the reef.
They have added several small rays that were about the size of a dinner plate. They also added sharks--we were last there in September and I only saw a couple where yesterday there were at least 5. The side nearest the path you wait in line was the one open.
I talked to a few guards there and at BB earlier in the week. They all said basically the same thing, that in a few years it would be closed and a children's area would be put in. They will not do it right away because they have spent a lot of money to add rays and sharks. It has been discussed to increase prices because it is very expensive to operate Shark Reef.
I was VERY HAPPY it reopened.

We were there yesterday too and saw the new sting rays and lots of people swimming with the fishes!! ;)

I talked to a few guards there and at BB earlier in the week. They all said basically the same thing, that in a few years it would be closed and a children's area would be put in.

A children's area is greatly needed at TL, but I'd still hate to see Shark Reef go. It's so unique.

Thank you for the update! Now if the weather will cooperate (it's supposed to get down to the 50s but hopefully will warm up by Saturday) then I too will get to swim with the fishes!

I went to River Country several times when I was a kid and no one in my family ever had any ill effects. Well, I got a couple scrapes from the concrete water slides and experienced some nasty thigh smackers from the slides that dropped into the pool but other that we were all fine.

Ahhh River Country. It's no Typhoon Lagoon but I wouldn't mind going back again. I'm kind of sad they closed it.

Since this thread popped up again in another post I'll relate my two experiences of RC one as a teenager and one as a father of a 7 and 8 year old.

As a teenager it was the neatest water park in the world as a Dad it was the scariest water park in the world. :thumbsup2 (and it had nothing to do with the amoebae)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter