• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shari's Disney Dining Review - Yorkshire stylee! (With pics!)

Lots of people here in England can't bring themselves to eat the black pudding! It's a marmite thing - you love it or hate it! I hate the idea of it but I love the taste of it.

A cafe here in Scarborough does the most wonderful black pudding as an entree - it is wonderful if you like BP. It comes on rocket leaves with onion marmalade, crispy bacon and a poached egg on top. It really is a thing of beauty and a taste sensation!

I'm surprised the Rose and Crown don't do black pudding? Also the Yorkshire County Fish shop - most chip shops over here do battered black pudding!

Shari xxx

You'll find that most of the ethnic foods around World Showcase are toned down for the general population. I have a secret adventurous foodie in me that would want to try black pudding. Good, bad or ugly, I still would want to try it!

Abrupt subject change...
I remember going to the Flying Fish during my first solo trip in October, 1997. I sat at the open kitchen counter seating area, and I tried that red snapper. I thought it was pretty amazing back then, too. A few years after that, I went back to Flying Fish. Would you believe they took that item off the menu back then? :confused3

Sadly, I hadn't returned since, but I would gladly give them another go because the fish had been put back. Silly people don't realize that they shouldn't take their "signature dishes" off their menus. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reviews. :goodvibes

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Flying Fish - we love eating there. And after reading your review I'm a little sad that we won't be dining there next month.

Oh well, there's always next year!

Great job on the reviews - I've really enjoyed them! :thumbsup2

Shari...

Question... is it that you just like Maple Syrup... or do you not get it over there???

Just wonderin... :goodvibes

Hi Michelle! Well, of course I love Maple syrup! We can get it over here but it's not a common thing. And we don't usually have it with our breakfast goods! We should do! Simon particularly loves it - but this is a guy who likes golden syrup on his Yorkshire Puddings!

You'll find that most of the ethnic foods around World Showcase are toned down for the general population. I have a secret adventurous foodie in me that would want to try black pudding. Good, bad or ugly, I still would want to try it!

Abrupt subject change...
I remember going to the Flying Fish during my first solo trip in October, 1997. I sat at the open kitchen counter seating area, and I tried that red snapper. I thought it was pretty amazing back then, too. A few years after that, I went back to Flying Fish. Would you believe they took that item off the menu back then? :confused3

Sadly, I hadn't returned since, but I would gladly give them another go because the fish had been put back. Silly people don't realize that they shouldn't take their "signature dishes" off their menus. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reviews. :goodvibes

You should try black pudding - it's very tasty!

I can't imagine the Flying Fish without the snapper! It's crazy! It's good to have a menu that varies but a signature dish should be untouchable!! Thanks for reading!:)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Flying Fish - we love eating there. And after reading your review I'm a little sad that we won't be dining there next month.

Oh well, there's always next year!

Great job on the reviews - I've really enjoyed them! :thumbsup2

Hey Brenda! It's not so hard deciding WHERE to eat - rather than WHERE NOT to eat! We already have a long list of new places to try next time! (Whenever that may be - curse you atlantic ocean!)

Looking forward to reading all about your upcoming trip! I'm sure you will do your duty and eat for all us poor souls sitting at home in front of our computers drooling. :surfweb:

Thanks for reading - have you noticed how I'm putting off writing the end of my food report? I'll try get to it tonight - promise!

Right, better go to work!

Shari xxx

Shari, just wanted to commend you on your wonderful reviews! I love your writing style. I especially like the dramatic teasers in your reviews. :)

It's great that you infused some of your culture into your posts too. In addition to reading about all the yummy food, it was interesting to read your take on authentic chips and the post about the American breakfast vs. the UK breakfast (thanks to the poster who posted the pic!).

Also, wanted to comment on "black pudding." I'm not sure how widespread it is in the rest of the US, but I've seen it here in Hawaii. However, our name for it is very straightforward..."blood sausage." At least black pudding sounds a bit more appetizing and mysterious! :laughing: I've never had it myself though, but perhaps I'd be willing to try it if someone knows how to prepare it properly!

Just got all caught up Shari and have a couple of questions.

At Artist Point, is that french fries with Kate's filet? And, if so, did she request them or did they come with it anyways?

Also, at Flying Fish, what was the sauce on top of your steak?

Great reviews - I'm so sad that they are nearly over.

Shari, just wanted to commend you on your wonderful reviews! I love your writing style. I especially like the dramatic teasers in your reviews. :)

It's great that you infused some of your culture into your posts too. In addition to reading about all the yummy food, it was interesting to read your take on authentic chips and the post about the American breakfast vs. the UK breakfast (thanks to the poster who posted the pic!).

Also, wanted to comment on "black pudding." I'm not sure how widespread it is in the rest of the US, but I've seen it here in Hawaii. However, our name for it is very straightforward..."blood sausage." At least black pudding sounds a bit more appetizing and mysterious! :laughing: I've never had it myself though, but perhaps I'd be willing to try it if someone knows how to prepare it properly!

Ooh! Black pudding in Hawaii! Far more exotic than northern England! Hawaii is on my wish list of places around the world to visit! Glad you've enjoyed my reviews - thanks for reading!

Just got all caught up Shari and have a couple of questions.

At Artist Point, is that french fries with Kate's filet? And, if so, did she request them or did they come with it anyways?

Also, at Flying Fish, what was the sauce on top of your steak?

Great reviews - I'm so sad that they are nearly over.

I'm sad too!:sad1:

I'm trying to remember about the fries at Artist Point. Kate was very good about trying dishes as they came on the menu (we all tried to do this) but I seem to think that the server at AP offered the fries to her without her asking (they were so on the ball with things like that!) and of course - she wasn't going to turn down french fries!

As regards the sauce on FF steak - apart from it being totally scrumptious - I've just looked it up on Allears and it would appear to be 'classic sauce foyet'.

So there you go! Cheers for reading!

Shari xx

Hello Gentle Readers!

You know that feeling when you've almost licked the last bit of your premium Mickey Ice Cream bar? That's how I feel now, coming to the end of my food report. Thanks to those of you who have stuck with me thus far - your stamina does you credit!

Anyway - our last full day - Wenesday 27th August!

We had a lie in, did most of our packing (bleurrgggghhhh!) and then we went to DTD for last minute shopping. But first - we needed sustainance. We decided to try Wolfgang Puck Express.

All I can say is WOW! WPE - where have you been my whole life?

It was really busy and the seating area was roped off from the queue so we didn't dare send the kids to save a table (I'm sure some people would have had no qualms about doing so!). Anyway, we had time to look at the menu while we were waiting. There was soooo much to choose from. I didn't like to get too excited because (although we were on free DDP) I'd seen the prices and I felt sure some things would not be included on the DDP.

However, when I asked about this at the till - they looked at me like I was bonkers and told me everything was available on the dining plan. Way-hayyyy!!! (I wish I'd had more time to study the menu!)

I had crispy chicken and fries:

2008_0828Image0074.jpg

I know, I know - here's Shari at this classy CS joint and what does she order? Glorified chicken nuggets and fries. What can I say? I panic-ordered! They were delicious though - and far too big for me to finish!

Si ordered a BBQ chicken sandwich, Kate ordered a kids pepperoni pizza (which looked great) and Sarah ordered a chicken caesar salad:

2008_0828Image0073.jpg

The pleasant surprise was that although it was CS we had a rather attentive server who offered to get us drink refills, cleared our table and brought out our frozen yoghurt desserts after our main course. She also told us to let her know if we needed anything! We felt very well looked after!

As we left, we discussed whether we should leave her a tip or not. It was still a CS place but we had been looked after better than some TS places! We thought she'd earned a tip so we left one.

Later that afternoon, after much shopping in the heat, we decided to go to the cinema to watch Wall-E.

After the joy that was La Nouba popcorn we ended up throwing the cinema popcorn in the bin almost immediately! It was disgusting! They didn't give us the option of sweet or salty - which wasn't a major problem as we've enjoyed salty popcorn in the past. But this popcorn was really horrid. After binning it I had to buy a large bag of m and m's to take away the taste!

Later on, we went to have our final WDW TS meal. We returned to Shutters and to our delight we had the lovely Oskar as our server again! He remembered us and chatted about how our holiday had gone. 'Hey lovely family!' he liked to call.

Sorry, this is my only picture of this meal - and it's not food:

2008_0828Image0078.jpg

Kate and Sarah tucking into the yummy bread and butter. This time we shared 2 starters - spicy chicken wings and the shrimp. Both were really delicious - although I never got to taste the chicken wings as Simon and Kate hoovered them up!

For main course, both Sarah and Kate had the chicken breast in a pineapple sauce. They both seemed to enjoy this very much!

Simon and I both had the strip steak - he had it with fries and I had the special shutters spicy potatoes and veg. This was really good. Perhaps not as good as the FF strip steak but really good steak all the same.

I'm ashamed to say that we didn't have room for dessert! But we were really happy to have ended our holiday the same way we started it. At the wonderful restaurant in our beautiful resort - with the same friendly server. It really did feel like we were being 'welcomed home'.

The next day after checking out, we popped into the Magic Kingdom. To fortify ourselves for the trip home we made a last pilgrimage here:

2008_0828Image0090.jpg

yes, my beloved Columbia Harbour House - our MK food saviour! I have fallen in love with this CS place. If you haven't tried it before, I really urge you to do so.

Don't worry - Sarah and Kate always pull faces like this - it wasn't the food:

2008_0828Image0086.jpg

As much as I'd been impressed by WPE yesterday, I was happy to have my final WDW meal at my fave CS place.

As we left the park, I decided I simply MUST try a dole whip:

DSCF1429.jpg

I really enjoyed it! And I was glad that I'd had the chance to try one! Happy Shari!!

All too soon we were on the plane on the way to good old blighty. I wasn't as excited by the plane food on the way home. Especially not the yukky egg, cheese and ham muffin we were served for breakfast. Also, for reasons I will go into in my trip report, Kate didn't get a kids meal even though we'd ordered one!

And so, my good friends. That is that. Shari's WDW food adventures were at an end. All of that wonderful food just a distant memory.

Coming up: Shari's riveting final thoughts. (Just when you thought it was over!)

Loved your reviews and I am so glad that you tipped at WPE I think it is only fair to do so those waiters are pretty good and our worthy of a tip. I felt the same way looked after this place really doesnt feel like a Counter Service!

Shari, I loved your dining reviews and I'm sorry they have come to an end, but so excited that you are doing a trip report so we can all keep reading about your wonderful family's adventures! :banana: :banana:

I loved your report and had a blast reading! Thank you so much for taking the time to review all these awesome places for us!

Loved your reviews and I am so glad that you tipped at WPE I think it is only fair to do so those waiters are pretty good and our worthy of a tip. I felt the same way looked after this place really doesnt feel like a Counter Service!

It was great! Thanks for reading!

Shari, I loved your dining reviews and I'm sorry they have come to an end, but so excited that you are doing a trip report so we can all keep reading about your wonderful family's adventures! :banana: :banana:

Awwww! Princess - you bring a tear to my eye! Thanks for being a loyal reader! See you on the trip report - you can hear about WDW beyond the food!

I loved your report and had a blast reading! Thank you so much for taking the time to review all these awesome places for us!

MickeyNicki - Thanks for reading! I have enjoyed writing it!

:) Loved reading your dining reviews!!

Thank you! It's been fun!

Shari xxxx

Hello Faithful readers!

Well, you made it! You managed to stick with me until the bitter end. Just thought I would post my final thoughts on Disney food - although you've probably got the jist by now!

TOP FIVE TABLE SERVICE

1. Artist Point - great food, great atmosphere and great service. A must do for next time.
2. California Grill - as good as we remembered. The only reason we might not go back on our next trip is that we've been twice - still, we might not be able to help ourselves. Don't forget to ask for Kevin!
3. Le Cellier - so glad we got a table. I'd love to go and try something different.
4. Flying Fish - great food, nice atmosphere. Would possibly go again if ADRs allowed!
5. Tusker House - a must for AK days. Great food in a comfy setting.

Honourable mentions go to: Sci-fi, Liberty Tree, Ohana, Raglan Road, Whispering Canyon and Shutters.

TOP FIVE COUNTER SERVICE

1. Columbia Harbour House - escape the madness of the MK!
2. Wolfgang Puck Express - A touch of class.
3. Sunshine Seasons - lots of choice.
4. Backlot Express - a hidden gem.
5. Liberty Inn - spacious and cool with no nonsense food.

Honourable mentions - Yak and Yeti (indoor seating would be nice!) Earl of Sandwich.

RECOMMENDED SNACKS: Cloudberry horn (Norway), School bread, Dole Whip, Mickey premium bar, Mickey rice krispie treats, La nouba popcorn!

(I'm sure there are many more that I've forgotten.)

Places we didn't get to this time but we'd like to try next time:

GOOFY'S CANDY CO!!!!!!!!!! Those pretzel rods had my name on, I'd even picked out the toppings but we just didn't get there! Everytime we were in the vicinity we'd just eaten and I couldn't face all that candy goodness! Next time - full or not - I'm in there!!

Cookes of Dublin - I'd like to try the fish and chips - see if they are as good as RR.

Ghiradelli's - wanted to take the girls for an ice cream sundae but just didn't get round to it!

Jiko's - having tried Boma - we'd like to five this restaurant a go!

Ohana(dinner) - we loved the breakfast here and we'd like to give those skewers of meat a try!

Tangierine Cafe - i really wanted to try a shawarma platter but again didn't get round to it!

Possibly - Yak and Yeti TS.

Shari's thoughts on the DDP:

We were on the basic plan and we had soooooo much food. We managed to use all our TS credits ( some days we were out of the parks and used these credits for our signature restaurant ADRs) and our snack credits (makes good pressies!) but we woefully failed to use all our CS credits. In fact, I think we had about 10 left in the end.

Now, we like to eat, but some days we just could not eat two large meals a day - and the CS meals with their big drinks and desserts - are quite substantial. If we knew we were having a special TS meal later, the four of us would share 2 CS meals and have plenty of food between us. And of course, we were out of Disney for a few days so the CS credits piled up. I wish we could have used the CS credits for snacks - we are big snackers! We liked to sit in front of Hannah Montana on an evening with our refillable mugs and snack out. Also, as I said before, the snack credits can be used for presents.

We found the DDP great - no hassle, good service and very convenient. But then again - we were lucky enough to have free dining. This saved us a considerable amount of money. Would we pay for DDP? Probably not. With all those wasted CS credits we would probably be better off just paying OOP.

Having said that - we'd definitely look for a free dining offer again if we went back! Free food! Two of my favourite words!

Well, I'd better go and do something useful.

Thank you all so much! I enjoy reading reports before I went to WDW and I've really had fun writing my food report. And that is largely thanks to you guys!

Thanks for reading, thanks for lurking, thanks for commenting!

You are all the best! If you can bear to endure any more, then I'll see you over on my trip report.

Thanks again - big :grouphug: and lots and lots of :lovestruc to you all.

Shari xxxx

Enjoyed the whole review very much- hope we have as good service/food as you did when we go in December- even if we had to pay for the DP! ;)

Bev

Once again, I missed so much! Who would have thought that a hurricane would create chaos in the Midwest ~ not I.

Artist Point looks devine. I might have to add an ADR for AP or FF. Yum! I can't help but read your posts with an accent. Your girls are dolls! I hope you & your family is able to return sooner rather than later.

I can't wait to read your trip report.

Take care,
Amiee

You had some awesome reviews! I loved reading them. :love:

Thank you! And thanks for reading!:)

Enjoyed the whole review very much- hope we have as good service/food as you did when we go in December- even if we had to pay for the DP! ;)

Bev

Thanks Bev - the DDP is great - takes some of the stress out of eating! I hope you have a great time!:thumbsup2

Once again, I missed so much! Who would have thought that a hurricane would create chaos in the Midwest ~ not I.

Artist Point looks devine. I might have to add an ADR for AP or FF. Yum! I can't help but read your posts with an accent. Your girls are dolls! I hope you & your family is able to return sooner rather than later.

I can't wait to read your trip report.

Take care,
Amiee

Thanks Amiee! I'll try not to repeat myself too much on the trip report for the sake of those who've read my food adventures!:)

As you know, I've absolutely loved your reviews Shari - and I will definitely check out your trip report. I was hoping you might have posted it on the UK TR board - I find the US TR board moves very quickly so find it hard to keep up. I'll do my best though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter